collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Help with finding/connecting with my patron(s)  (Read 1667 times)

RJ7510

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Help with finding/connecting with my patron(s)
« on: January 21, 2015, 03:01:37 pm »
I'm new to paganism, so I'm not sure if I'm at the right stage to do this, but I really want to find/connect with my patron god(s)/goddess(es). I feel really drawn to Athena and Loki, but I haven't gotten any recognizable signs from either of them. Could you give me any suggestions to help?

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: Help with finding/connecting with my patron(s)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 03:39:05 pm »
Quote from: RJ7510;169691
I'm new to paganism, so I'm not sure if I'm at the right stage to do this, but I really want to find/connect with my patron god(s)/goddess(es). I feel really drawn to Athena and Loki, but I haven't gotten any recognizable signs from either of them. Could you give me any suggestions to help?

Since you're new to this, I have a couple links for you.

Our Pagan Primer and our Wiki.

In addition, one of our members, Jenett, has a seeking site that might be of use to you.

Just as a note, you don't *have* to have any patron deities. It's not a requirement. :)

Welcome to The Cauldron! Hope to see you around.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Qathe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:50:17 am »

Well, I'm newish as well, but had an interesting introduction. I went to a shaman (and it took awhile to find one that was the real thing) for help with blocks in my life. Along with the work this one does, she also imparts past-life information and details about a connection with a particular deity (Pan). In some ways it fits; I love animals and nature, and work in the veterinary field. In some ways not; wild, I ain't. It was interesting though, when she started her work I began seeing deer all over the place. An entire deer family was standing across the road one morning on my usual route to work, with a stag that had the most magnificent antlers I've ever seen. Deer started showing up in the yard, munching on the plants. Now, I knew there were deer in the general area (suburbs of Atlanta) but had never seen them to this extent.

I'm still in the process of discovering what all this might mean and where it's leading. A shaman might be a good way to start for you, or if not, perhaps praying and then looking for signs (like I certainly had) might be it. I'm still looking for people in my area who might have the same deity, to learn more.

Hope that helps.

Qathe

AnaFae

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:06:41 pm »
Hmm...  I would suggest you to leave offering to them(something you think they might like) and ask them. I meditate a lot after I do offerings and that usually helps me ;)
I wouldn't worry about having a patron god, you can still work with them even if they're not your patron :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:08:07 pm by AnaFae »

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 09:04:34 am »

Like AnaFae said, you can still work with those deities even if they aren't trying to get your attention to start out with. Getting hit over the head with a deity's attention happens sometimes, but other time it's about cultivating a relationship with them, which is just as valid a way to approach them and can result in a relationship that's just as strong and fulfilling as any other. (Or you could discover that they are not the right deities for you to work with, which is also valid and important information.)

I'm just speaking for myself here, but if I'm interested in approaching a deity with the hope of developing a relationship, I usually start out by dedicating a small shrine to them (doesn't have to be much: sometimes mine are just a candle, a bowl, and something that reminds me of them). I make a small offering, say a prayer to introduce myself, and go from there.
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 04:29:11 pm »

It's been my experience with Loki that he just shows up with suitcases one day and proceeds to eff up your life.

Or maybe that's just for me.

Different people and different traditions approach patrons differently. The "cosmic thwap" kind of relationship is rare. And not all sunshine and rainbows, either, if you get it. If you're drawn to those gods, do some research into their lore. Set up altars to them. Make offerings. Meditate, and listen.

I have a "thwap" sort of relationship with Brigit, and somewhat of that with Loki from time to time, but I work with other gods regularly too. I do not have that sort of relationship with Cernunnos, or Bast, or any of the other Tuatha de Danann, but I still work with them. Everyone can't be a best friend, you know? They still don't seem to mind it.

Karen

Tags: