Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: ADMIN: @yahoo/hotmail/msn Email Addresses "Broken" ON TC. Do NOT use for TC Accounts.  (Read 24829 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Apparently enough lazy former members with Yahoo email addresses have simply marked emails from TC as "spam" (rather than return to TC and turn off their thread subscriptions and such) that yahoo is now refusing email from us. Fixing this problem with Yahoo would take more time, trouble, and money than it is worth. Therefore I have added yahoo.com (and ymail.com) to the list of addresses that this board will refuse to accept for registrations (and email address changes).

If you currently use a yahoo.com (or any yahoo-handled email) email address for your account on The Cauldron, you can keep it, but you will not receive any email notifications of PMs, threads, etc. that you usually get. You can change your email address from your SETTINGS (Edit Email and Password). Note that you will need to verify your new email address before you can log back in so be sure to use a good email address. I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST addresses like hotmail.com and other large free providers (except gmail.com which seems to be better at this) as they might suddenly decide to block email from TC for similar reasons.

ADDED 17 April 2015: hotmail and msn free mail addresses seem to be broken for similar reasons. I am adding them to the addresses this board will refuse to accept. Again, I strongly suggest not using any major free mail service (other than gmail which seems to handle idiots reporting email they requested as spam more intelligently than most).

ADDED 24 April 2015: freemail providers in general owned or operated by YAHOO or MICROSOFT are unlikely to work even if they are not listed above. This includes @live.com, @outlook.com, @sbc.com, etc.

IN GENERAL, if you never get a account activation message (not even in your spam box), you probably have an email provider with this problem. PMing the Admins will NOT help. You will have to change the email address associated with your account to another provider. Google-based freemail works.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:52:19 am by RandallS »
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: RandallS;169690
Apparently enough lazy former members with Yahoo email addresses have simply marked emails from TC as "spam" (rather than return to TC and turn off their thread subscriptions and such) that yahoo is now refusing email from us. Fixing this problem with Yahoo would take more time, trouble, and money than it is worth. Therefore I have added yahoo.com (and ymail.com) to the list of addresses that this board will refuse to accept for registrations (and email address changes).

If you currently use a yahoo.com (or any yahoo-handled email) email address for your account on The Cauldron, you can keep it, but you will not receive any email notifications of PMs, threads, etc. that you usually get. You can change your email address from your SETTINGS (Edit Email and Password). Note that you will need to verify your new email address before you can log back in so be sure to use a good email address. I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST addresses like hotmail.com and other large free providers (except gmail.com which seems to be better at this) as they might suddenly decide to block email from TC for similar reasons.

I'm wondering if they are even having to mark it spam, but just deleting the e-mails unread.

I'm trying to move away from Yahoo since it not only ate TC, it ate Ancestry.com and a couple of other sites on me.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
Quote from: sailor;169749
I'm wondering if they are even having to mark it spam, but just deleting the e-mails unread.

It could be (as email addresses ran by Yahoo seem to be the only ones with this issue). All I know is that when I checked mail logs after someone said they were no longer getting notifications, the bounce messages from Yahoo claimed too many messages _reported_ as spam from this site.

I'm trying to move away from Yahoo since it not only ate TC, it ate Ancestry.com and a couple of other sites on me.

I had a yahoo email address once. I don't think I've checked it in years.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: RandallS;169765
It could be (as email addresses ran by Yahoo seem to be the only ones with this issue). All I know is that when I checked mail logs after someone said they were no longer getting notifications, the bounce messages from Yahoo claimed too many messages _reported_ as spam from this site.

I had a yahoo email address once. I don't think I've checked it in years.

And after 6 weeks of not getting TC mail, it just showed up.  Now that is odd.

Still seems odd about reports.  TC, I think, only generates an e-mail after you have caught up on a thread you have subbed to.  A person would have to be coming back to the site, ie using the e-mail as intended, to generate a new one.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Quote from: sailor;169775
Still seems odd about reports.  TC, I think, only generates an e-mail after you have caught up on a thread you have subbed to.  A person would have to be coming back to the site, ie using the e-mail as intended, to generate a new one.

I think it's after you've returned to the site- I've gotten multiple thread notifications when I've popped in to check something but haven't caught up on my threads. Either way, aside from PM notifications, one would need to log in to TC to keep getting them.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile

I think it's more likely that Yahoo! is automatically marking emails from TC as spam. I've noticed that Yahoo's spam filters are MUCH more aggressive than GMail's - often too much so. Emails from social forums like this usually get booted to the spam folder immediately, as does ANYTHING from an overseas company (frustrating, when your hobby involves collecting dolls that are primarily sold in Asia.)
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
Quote from: Redfaery;169789
I think it's more likely that Yahoo! is automatically marking emails from TC as spam.

They might also be doing that. However, there were hundreds of emails in our email system that were refused by Yahoo because too many people had marked messages from our site as spam.
Randall

DemeterDelusion

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: sailor;169749

In my case (I had a lot of troubles trying to register because of this issue), Yahoo was definitely outright deleting the activation e-mails instead of moving them to spam folder.  

Yahoo's spam system as a whole sucks. It likes to mark my important school and bank e-mails as spam while letting actual spam get in my inbox. :/

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: DemeterDelusion;169809
In my case (I had a lot of troubles trying to register because of this issue), Yahoo was definitely outright deleting the activation e-mails instead of moving them to spam folder.  

Yahoo's spam system as a whole sucks. It likes to mark my important school and bank e-mails as spam while letting actual spam get in my inbox. :/

I think you have mis-understood me.  I wasn't say Yahoo was deleting the e-mails, but the recipients were deleting the e-mails from their inbox un-read.  If lots of mail comes from a single source, or similar headers and gets deleted unread it might indicate that the spam filter needs to learn from actual humans.

DemeterDelusion

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: sailor;169812
I think you have mis-understood me.  I wasn't say Yahoo was deleting the e-mails, but the recipients were deleting the e-mails from their inbox un-read.  If lots of mail comes from a single source, or similar headers and gets deleted unread it might indicate that the spam filter needs to learn from actual humans.

Ah, my mistake. That's definitely not what happened to me, haha. Sorry!!!

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
ADDED 17 April 2015: hotmail and msn free mail addresses seem to be broken for similar reasons. I am adding them to the addresses this board will refuse to accept. Again, I strongly suggest not using any major free mail service (other than gmail which seems to handle idiots reporting email they requested as spam more intelligently than most.

Added the above to the first message.
Randall

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
ADDED 17 April 2015: hotmail and msn free mail addresses seem to be broken for similar reasons. I am adding them to the addresses this board will refuse to accept. Again, I strongly suggest not using any major free mail service (other than gmail which seems to handle idiots reporting email they requested as spam more intelligently than most).

ADDED 24 April 2015: freemail providers in general owned or operated by YAHOO or MICROSOFT are unlikely to work even if they are not listed above. This includes @live.com, @outlook.com, @sbc.com, etc.

IN GENERAL, if you never get a account activation message (not even in your spam box), you probably have an email provider with this problem. PMing the Admins will NOT help. You will have to change the email address associated with your account to another provider. Google-based freemail works.
Randall

Tags: