Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Active Thelemites?  (Read 4743 times)

New-Seeker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Active Thelemites?
« on: January 21, 2015, 05:51:12 am »

Hi everyone :)

I've been doing a lot of reading about Thelema and after starting basic practice's for a few weeks I'm thinking it is probably the path for me. Aside from the OTO it's hard to find many Thelemites so I was wondering if any are active on these boards?

If so then say hello because it would be great to chat!

93 93/93

Tom

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
Re: Active Thelemites?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 12:18:05 pm »
Quote from: New-Seeker;169667

I've been doing a lot of reading about Thelema and after starting basic practice's for a few weeks I'm thinking it is probably the path for me. Aside from the OTO it's hard to find many Thelemites so I was wondering if any are active on these boards?

93 93/93

Tom

93's

Yes Tom, although I'm not as active anymore, I remain an officer in tbe O.T.O. I'm more of a philosophical Thelemite, and remain in the O.T.O for its fraternal aspects, but have other religious involvements that take up more of my time. Thelema is still close to my heart though, and I hope you're finding it well!
Semper Fidelis

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 04:02:52 pm »

93 93/93

Tom
Hey, fellow Thelemite here!!! 93's I'm active in OTO here in Austin, TX I follow Thelema as part of my daily practice.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

New-Seeker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 04:11:05 am »

Tom

93 both! Thanks for the replies, it's good to speak to you both. It seems to me Thelema is in a bit of a minority in terms of people who practice but actually it's one of the most philosophically progressive systems I've come across, I'd have thought more people would resonate with it.

Perhaps it has a lot to do with the misunderstandings around Crowley / OTO etc?

My main books (apart from the obvious) are Lon Milo and David Shoemaker's - any other recommendations? I've just started reading 'Chicken Qabalah' and I'm really enjoying it :):)

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 12:02:15 pm »
Quote from: New-Seeker;169743
93 both! Thanks for the replies, it's good to speak to you both. It seems to me Thelema is in a bit of a minority in terms of people who practice but actually it's one of the most philosophically progressive systems I've come across, I'd have thought more people would resonate with it.

My main books (apart from the obvious) are Lon Milo and David Shoemaker's - any other recommendations? I've just started reading 'Chicken Qabalah' and I'm really enjoying it :):)
Abrahadabra: Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thelemic Magick by Rodney Orpheus is a good book, and is great for beginners. http://www.amazon.com/Abrahadabra-Understanding-Aleister-Crowleys-Thelemic/dp/1578633265
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 12:33:56 pm »
Quote from: New-Seeker;169743

Yea in the wider occult, and maybe lesser in pagan communities,  Thelema may be but one walk, but stands strong on its own and has been very influential. I'd agree Crowley's controversial status could be a bit intimidating to those curious about practising.

Sounds like your off to a good start :). DuQuette is good at breaking stuff down with a bit of humour, especially something many consider dry like the Qabalah. I like his "Understanding the Thoth Tarot," not just for the Thoth, but I think he brilliantly breaks down the Tarot model rampant in western esotericism in general, with its astrological significance,  relations to the Qabalah, and also gives a good break down of Thelema, Crowley, and anything else that has to do with it.

Crowley's "Magick: In Theory&Practice"(Book 4, the Blue Brick, e.t.c) is a good essential one I think. Though it can be a bit dear, you may find good bargains, and if not practical, free to view onljne courtesy of the OTO.

Shoemaker has a good Youtube channel I believe,  or if not his own, has made great contributions to "Speech in Silence," if you're into media stuff.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:36:35 pm by Micheál »
Semper Fidelis

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 03:08:12 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;169768
Crowley's "Magick: In Theory&Practice"(Book 4, the Blue Brick, e.t.c) is a good essential one I think. Though it can be a bit dear, you may find good bargains, and if not practical, free to view onljne courtesy of the OTO.
I didn't know that, that'll be useful, my last copy literally got left behind in my last move because we were using it as a door stop. Thanks
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

New-Seeker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 06:04:16 pm »
Quote from: random417;169792
I didn't know that, that'll be useful, my last copy literally got left behind in my last move because we were using it as a door stop. Thanks

Thanks for the rccomendations everyone.

What are the general experiences of the OTO like? I'm thinking about checking out my local Lodge but not sure if I have the time amongst all the other things I have going on!

Two other things though - at there any good places to meet Thelemites online? And I've tried to join the forum at http://www.heruraha.net but I'm not getting an activation email, is anyone a member there?

Thanks again everyone 😀

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 07:07:45 pm »
Quote from: New-Seeker;169986
Thanks for the rccomendations everyone.

What are the general experiences of the OTO like? I'm thinking about checking out my local Lodge but not sure if I have the time amongst all the other things I have going on!

Two other things though - at there any good places to meet Thelemites online? And I've tried to join the forum at http://www.heruraha.net but I'm not getting an activation email, is anyone a member there?

Thanks again everyone 😀

I'm a member there, but honestly don't think I've logged on in 2 years! There, and Lastal are good sites... Like my recent OTO attendance, I've a lot going on as well, but you get out what you put in, and take it at your own pace. Every experience I've had is favourable.

Initiation into the 1st (Minerval 0*) degree of the OTO is a guest degree. You're welcomed Into the Order, but don't have to make any commitments,  therefore it's there to see if you like it, want to continue further, or leave. Some are quite happy just staying Minerval, and that's totally cool.
Semper Fidelis

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 12:05:58 pm »

93 93/93

Tom

I'm an active member in the Washington D.C. / Baltimore area.

Tags: