Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: About statues in museums (and Venus)  (Read 3818 times)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
About statues in museums (and Venus)
« on: January 16, 2015, 07:42:20 pm »
So I went to the State art museum today, and as always, (or rather, as it has been every time I've been given free rein) I felt myself pulled to the ancient statuary. I haven't had to do this since my head broke open, and even though I knew I would be getting "attention," I can't say I was really prepared for it.

The thing is, there's this one statue in particular there that's always caught my eye. It's labelled "Aphrodite," but is Roman. (There is also another Roman "Aphrodite" and a Graeco-Egyptian Isis-Aphrodite). It's a copy of a Greek image, I believe.

And....she was there. I found myself standing in front of the figure, staring into its eyes. Because I could feel her telling me that she'd been waiting for me to come back. I hope this doesn't sound weird, but I left with the feeling that I was supposed to come back often...as a parishioner I guess you'd say.

So I'm wondering if there's any particular etiquette for worshiping the Roman gods, especially Venus, that would be compatible with, well....a museum?
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
Re: About statues in museums (and Venus)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:28:47 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;169456
So I went to the State art museum today, and as always, (or rather, as it has been every time I've been given free rein) I felt myself pulled to the ancient statuary. I haven't had to do this since my head broke open, and even though I knew I would be getting "attention," I can't say I was really prepared for it.

Might I suggest a small replica of the statue for your altar? I'm sure they sell them, if not an artist can always be commisoned for a fee.

Its difficult to worship in public without others realizing it.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:34:29 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;169459
Might I suggest a small replica of the statue for your altar? I'm sure they sell them, if not an artist can always be commisoned for a fee.

Its difficult to worship in public without others realizing it.
I'd love a replica of her, but sadly I think she's just an anonymous generic Roman knockoff of a more famous Roman copy of a Greek original. The museum certainly doesn't sell copies of her; the ancient art isn't their "draw."

Besides, Venus (?) seemed pretty intent on me visiting her *there*.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 05:18:54 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;169462
I'd love a replica of her, but sadly I think she's just an anonymous generic Roman knockoff of a more famous Roman copy of a Greek original. The museum certainly doesn't sell copies of her; the ancient art isn't their "draw."

Besides, Venus (?) seemed pretty intent on me visiting her *there*.

Does the museum allow sketching or drawing its displays? I know the Royal Ontario Museum (where I've been a few times) explicitly does. It would be an excuse to concentrate on the one statue for a length of time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 07:10:24 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;169500
Does the museum allow sketching or drawing its displays? I know the Royal Ontario Museum (where I've been a few times) explicitly does. It would be an excuse to concentrate on the one statue for a length of time.

I've seen art students there sketching away, so I should think so.

I've been thinking of doing something like putting an appropriate playlist on my phone and listening to it through headphones.

schwertlilie

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 07:23:17 pm »

(I'm not Roman or Hellenic in any way, but I study religion in museums so I thought this might be helpful from the other side. If not, feel free to ignore, etc.)

Worship in museums is definitely A Thing! Lots of people go through and pray or meditate quietly, but few people talk about it unless it's significantly different from Euro-Christian models of worship (so prayers vs offering puja).

It depends on how unobtrusive you want to be about this: is there a convenient bench you can sit on an meditate or pray from? Meditation looks like contemplation from afar, and if you have a mala/rosary/other-beads-on-string that might be enough for people to "recognize" what you're doing and leave you alone.

Sefiru's idea about sketching is a great one for stealth! According to the visitor's guide, sketching is allowed in some places, you just need to get a "sketching permit." I don't know how it works in that museum but a lot of the artists I've seen in galleries bring their own folding stools, so that might be an option as well to find a good view, but ask information first.

If you wanted to do something bigger, like offerings, I'd suggest talking it out with the curators or collections manager first. Yeah, you'd be opening yourself up to someone saying "no," but myself I'd rather take that chance than be kicked out for leaving a cut flower, you know? A lot of the staff I know are willing to work with the public to find compromises that still protect the objects - maybe a drop of rose oil on a piece of paper, or something ephemeral like that.

That said, if the staff decides to be jerks about it, let me know and I can send information about published precedents for worship/active religion in museums. :)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 01:18:32 am »
Quote from: schwertlilie;169504
(I'm not Roman or Hellenic in any way, but I study religion in museums so I thought this might be helpful from the other side. If not, feel free to ignore, etc.)

Thanks! Sketching is actually probably not a good idea for me, because I'm such a perfectionist I get stressed out trying to "make it just right". My Aspergers has the side effect of making me dyspraxic. I'm honestly not that bad considering; my drawings just end up looking rather adorably cartoonish...kind of manga-ish actually.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 05:23:47 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;169513
Thanks! Sketching is actually probably not a good idea for me, because I'm such a perfectionist I get stressed out trying to "make it just right".

You don't have to actually sketch, though.  You can just pretend to sketch and use that as a reason for spending time with the statue.  ;-)
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 08:36:09 pm »

So I'm wondering if there's any particular etiquette for worshiping the Roman gods, especially Venus, that would be compatible with, well....a museum?

schwertlilie's suggestion to meditate is an excellent idea, the Offering of One's Time. An idea of my own is, if the museum has a café, to drink or get a snack and leave a bit as an offering in the trash bin; or donate money to the museum in her name.

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 11:03:02 am »

I try to give a subtle nod or bow to deity statues in museums, and kiss my own hand as a sign of reverence. Sometimes I say prayers or hymns silently, though it depends how many people are around. Simple acts of reverence and silent prayers are about all I feel comfortable doing in a public place.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 10:09:12 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;169462
Venus (?) seemed pretty intent on me visiting her *there*.

How are you at astral travel?  
Quote from: Redfaery;169503
I've been thinking of doing something like putting an appropriate playlist on my phone and listening to it through headphones.

The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Kirke

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 09:56:48 am »

I don´t know about etiquette but what I´ve done is sit near the statue and meditate, take photos and sketch and hum or say a short prayed very quietly :whis: . Once I very lightly touched the wooden pedestal of a large Aphrodite (pretending to tie my shoelaces).  Just bowing down near a statue (pretending to tie shoelaces or something) would be an idea. A lot depends on the museum, of course. For Aphrodite/Venus, I might think of dropping a tiny dried rose petal near her, or maybe quickly pass a rose scented scarf somewhere near the statue (while tying the scarf around your neck). I think your intent to worship Venus/Aphrodite is what matters most.

Tags: