collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: ADMIN: Plans for Server Update and For Forum Changes  (Read 7432 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
ADMIN: Plans for Server Update and For Forum Changes
« on: January 12, 2015, 03:09:35 pm »
As you may recall from our donation drive last fall, we need to upgrade the system software (Ubuntu) on our server by May 2015 as our current version (10.04) will not receive security update after that. We really need to update to Ubuntu 14.04 as it will have security updates through April 2019.

However, a problem has arisen: Ubuntu 14.04 updates to the current supported version of php (5.5). Our current version of Vbulletin 4 uses php 5.3 and the latest version of Vbulletin 4 (which I had planned to upgrade us to) works -- barely -- with php 5.4 (which stops getting security updates in about a year). Neither work with php 5.5. The vbulletin people really have no firm plans to make Vbulletin 4 work with php 5.5 as they want to push people to their new Vbulletin 5. People aren't moving to VB5 because it sucks bigtime -- it tries hard to be Facebook first and a useful forum second so people are avoiding it like the plague.

So we are probably going to have to switch software yet again. The other two paid major forum software (IP.Board and Xenoforo are possibilities but they two seem to be heading toward being more FB-like and are annual subscription things where you have to "rent" the software by the year). Although I like Xenoforo (it is written by the original developers of Vbulletin), I'm really not sure I want to go this route. First, the annual fees. Second, the whole reason we went with Vbulletin was to get something stable and supported so we could stay with it. We haven't got that -- the new owners have no real interest in supporting it so we are no better off that we were with open source software.

Sadly, the reason we left SMF in 2011 (several years of infighting amongst the SMF developers blocking the release of SMF 2.0) was resolved about 6 months after we switched to Vbulletin with the several years late SMF 2.0 finally being released under a new (open source) license with a new development organization set up and given control to resolve the infighting.

So it looks like we will be returning to SMF. The current plan is to update, reconfigure, and remodel the old SMF board and reopen it. (I've already tried this with a copy of the old board and it works.) Unfortunately, importing the messages from this board into it likely all but impossible. As Vbulletin 4 doesn't work with php 5.5, we plan to move the message from this board into a MyBB board and provide it as a closed to posting archive board. Why not just move the messages to MyBB and continue using that board -- it lacks many of the features we use and like.

When will all this happen? Sometime this spring. Watch this space for more information as it becomes available.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: ADMIN: Plans for Server Update and For Forum Changes
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 07:55:12 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;169273

So it looks like we will be returning to SMF. The current plan is to update, reconfigure, and remodel the old SMF board and reopen it. (I've already tried this with a copy of the old board and it works.) Unfortunately, importing the messages from this board into it likely all but impossible. As Vbulletin 4 doesn't work with php 5.5, we plan to move the message from this board into a MyBB board and provide it as a closed to posting archive board. Why not just move the messages to MyBB and continue using that board -- it lacks many of the features we use and like.

When will all this happen? Sometime this spring. Watch this space for more information as it becomes available.

Oy. Thanks for dealing.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 09:32:40 pm »
Quote from: Altair;169282
Oy. Thanks for dealing.

I'll admit to being annoyed about this situation. The whole point of moving to vbulletin was to avoid problems like this.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 01:33:21 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;169284
I'll admit to being annoyed about this situation. The whole point of moving to vbulletin was to avoid problems like this.

Oy, that is a mess.  Cheers to you for keeping us moving in a useful direction despite unhelpful developers.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 02:37:08 pm »
Quote from: Amphibian;169298
Oy, that is a mess.  Cheers to you for keeping us moving in a useful direction despite unhelpful developers.

Seconded.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 05:13:34 pm »
Quote from: Amphibian;169298

Thirded. :P
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

DavidMcCann

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 05:55:18 pm »
Although I like Xenoforo (it is written by the original developers of Vbulletin), I'm really not sure I want to go this route.

I belong to a forum which uses that and the new version runs in wounded-snail mode if you don't have a fast computer. I have to turn off Javascript to make it usable, and then turn it on again to log out!
Minorities are almost always in the right.
They haif said. Quhat say they? Lat thame say!

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 06:14:30 pm »
Quote from: DavidMcCann;169303
I belong to a forum which uses that and the new version runs in wounded-snail mode if you don't have a fast computer. I have to turn off Javascript to make it usable, and then turn it on again to log out!

Thanks for that info. That pretty much rules out Xenoforo. While I have a fast computer (and have therefore never noticed any of the Xenoforo boards I've visited to be slow), many of our members do not. If turning off javascript speeds it up, I would guess the problem is its Ajax usage (what makes it "FB-like" in the way it scrolls, etc.)

One think I've always liked about SMF is the developers make speed a priority both on the server end and on the user end.
Randall

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 09:17:40 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;169305

BTW, Tapatalk is available for just about any forum software we might use, including the front-running SMF 2.0.
Randall

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 10:05:58 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;169309
BTW, Tapatalk is available for just about any forum software we might use, including the front-running SMF 2.0.

On behalf of the tapatalk users, THANK YOU!
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 10:49:23 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;169284

Oy yah.

A sucky mess to deal with. Seems internet tech has been undergoing a slow decline from ugly but usefull and flexible to pretty useless dreck that slows everything down for years. Not suprised forum software is not exempt.

I'll send up a prayer to Slaanesh that your pains bear satisfying fruit.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 07:37:06 am »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;169509
A sucky mess to deal with. Seems internet tech has been undergoing a slow decline from ugly but usefull and flexible to pretty useless dreck that slows everything down for years. Not suprised forum software is not exempt.

Here the problem seems to be Facebook. Facebook is the gorilla on the block so forum software designers (stupidly, IMHO) try to emulate it when FB really is bad a being a message board type of forum.
Randall

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 05:56:32 pm »
So it looks like we will be returning to SMF.

Boo hiss on the mess, but YAY! for the above. I'll be only too glad to go back to the old board; this one has always felt cumbersome.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 06:29:46 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;169705
Boo hiss on the mess, but YAY! for the above. I'll be only too glad to go back to the old board; this one has always felt cumbersome.

The new (2.0) version of SMF is quite the same as the older 1.1 version but it is close.
Randall

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 07:32:01 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;169709
The new (2.0) version of SMF is quite the same as the older 1.1 version but it is close.

...Is there a 'not' missing above?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Tags: