Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: Islamists Murder 12 at French Magazine  (Read 10364 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Islamists Murder 12 at French Magazine
« on: January 07, 2015, 08:07:57 pm »
Of course by now we've all heard the news of the massacre at the offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris, perpetrated by masked Islamist gunmen (who are still at large) over the magazine's long history of mocking cartoons incl. of their prophet, Muhammad; but I thought I'd start a thread to post various perspectives. Here are some from the New York Times:

From its editorial page--
"There are some who will say that Charlie Hebdo tempted the ire of Islamists one too many times, as if coldblooded murder is the price to pay for putting out a magazine. The massacre was motivated by hate. It is absurd to suggest that the way to avoid terrorist attacks is to let the terrorists dictate standards in a democracy."
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/08/opinion/the-charlie-hebdo-massacre-in-paris.html

Nicholas Kristof: Is Islam to Blame for the Shooting at Charlie Hebdo in Paris?
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/08/opinion/nicholas-kristof-lessons-from-the-charlie-hebdo-shooting-in-paris.html
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
Re: Islamists Murder 12 at French Magazine
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 09:12:12 pm »
Quote from: Altair;168996
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/08/opinion/nicholas-kristof-lessons-from-the-charlie-hebdo-shooting-in-paris.html

Richard Dawkins tweeted: "No, all religions are NOT equally violent. Some have never been violent, some gave it up centuries ago. One religion conspicuously didn’t."  It's easy to blame this on all of Islam, but it seems like people are too afraid to acknowledge that this bloodthirsty expression of the religion is becoming a global epidemic.  Only an idiot would say that religion had nothing to do with this attack.  
One thing I'm certain of, is I side with France on this.  Fanaticism in any form is detestable & should be ground into dust.  And a free press is essential to a free society.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:13:53 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 09:15:18 pm »
"There are some who will say that Charlie Hebdo tempted the ire of Islamists one too many times, as if coldblooded murder is the price to pay for putting out a magazine. The massacre was motivated by hate. It is absurd to suggest that the way to avoid terrorist attacks is to let the terrorists dictate standards in a democracy."

This is matches my opinion. If we censor ourselves to avoid offending terrorists, the terrorists have already won.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 09:15:55 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;169005
Richard Dawkins tweeted: "No, all religions are NOT equally violent. Some have never been violent, some gave it up centuries ago. One religion conspicuously didn’t."  It's easy to blame this on all of Islam, but it seems like people are too afraid to acknowledge that this bloodthirsty expression of the religion is becoming a global epidemic.  Only an idiot would say that religion had nothing to do with this attack.  
One thing I'm certain of, is I side with France on this.  Fanaticism in any form is detestable & should be ground into dust.  And a free press is essential to a free society.

I agree.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 09:27:57 pm »
Quote from: Altair;169009
I agree.

Shit.  That's a rarity.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 10:04:01 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;169011
Shit.  That's a rarity.

Here's another.

I'm agreeing with Dawkins. Mr. "Religion is a sign that you are stoopid, and I r smart."

Been a while since I've done that.

This attack... sheesh. No freaking words. I'd start a memorial thread in the Prayer Request doeum, but it might see more respectful coming from someone else.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 08:24:19 am »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;169013
Here's another.

I'm agreeing with Dawkins. Mr. "Religion is a sign that you are stoopid, and I r smart."

Which part has your agreement?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh BrĂ­d
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 10:12:11 am »
Of course by now we've all heard the news of the massacre at the offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris, perpetrated by masked Islamist gunmen (who are still at large) over the magazine's long history of mocking cartoons incl. of their prophet, Muhammad; but I thought I'd start a thread to post various perspectives. Here are some from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/08/opinion/the-charlie-hebdo-massacre-in-paris.html

This breaks my heart so much. :(
I talk to plants.

Skyth

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 03:29:17 pm »

The big question is, why is this front page news but the terrorist bombing of the NAACP isn't mentioned hardly anywhere?

Kaio

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 04:15:58 pm »
Of course by now we've all heard the news of the massacre at the offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris, perpetrated by masked Islamist gunmen (who are still at large) over the magazine's long history of mocking cartoons incl. of their prophet, Muhammad...

I think many European countries are facing a dilemma that may have to do with the limit of political liberalism and multiculturalism, i. e., whether to tolerate or not the openly intolerant.
 I have a very negative view on Abrahamic religions in general. However, I think Judaism seems to be slightly better nowadays because it stopped proselytizing.
When in Rome do as the Romans do. (Ambrose)

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 04:26:40 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;169033
Which part has your agreement?

The 'religion is stupid and I am smart' bit is a snarky nickname. I'm agreeing that some religions are more violent than others.

Although implying islam is the only one is absurd.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 04:46:38 pm »
Quote from: Kaio;169067

I have a very negative view on Abrahamic religions in general. However, I think Judaism seems to be slightly better nowadays because it stopped proselytizing.

Judaism has a history of proselytizing?
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Kaio

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 05:00:06 pm »
Quote from: Sage;169073
Judaism has a history of proselytizing?

Yes. And the Bible is full of evidence of Jews, if not trying to convert non-Jewish people to Judaism, trying to destruct at least aspects of other people's religions.
When in Rome do as the Romans do. (Ambrose)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 06:38:36 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;169069
The 'religion is stupid and I am smart' bit is a snarky nickname. I'm agreeing that some religions are more violent than others.

Although implying islam is the only one is absurd.

I knew it was a snarky nickname. ;)  I was wondering about the other bits.  Thanks for clarifying.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 07:31:14 pm »
Quote from: Kaio;169067
However, I think Judaism seems to be slightly better nowadays because it stopped proselytizing.

As far as I know Judaism never stopped proselytizing -- because they never started. It's never been a proselytizing religion.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: