collapse

Author Topic: Are You a God-Slave? Will You Be?  (Read 42815 times)

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: Are You a God-Slave? Will You Be?
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2011, 08:01:39 am »
Quote from: Garm;17040
I am not being disigenious

That statement was offensive

Mea culpa

That statement was a phrase built in to a sentence

"Now there are people who don't want to have the responsibility for their own life, there are people who really feel they need to earn their pats on the head and doggee biscuits from their patron, there are people whose sexuality makes it best to relate to them as a dom [Kaldera comes to mind as an example of the last case] and there are probably more legitimate reasons I could come with if I actually liked the idea more than I seem to"

I left the caveat of "more legitimate reasons" and admitted to not liking the idea in general

Now "more legitimate reasons" serves as a point for people to self identify with if they did not feel any of the prior explainations suited them, saving them the need to feel personally offended

So I am surprised that I actually hit a nerve

I feel like one phrase of mine has been ripped unfairly out of context, nobody had to think it applied to them

You're posting on a forum and leaving the *who* in your statement open-ended and you're surprised people felt you were talking about other people?

If it's "I don't want to be in that situation and I'm fighting it with everything I've got" that's COMPLETELY different than "everyone that serves gods does it for doggie biscuits".  And what you said?  Sounds a lot more like the second.  It's a forum full of theists, why are you surprised that's offensive?

Lecia Hale

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2011, 09:49:17 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;16631
In the book that I've been reading, I've stumbled upon the phrase "god-slave" which both intrigued me and worried me and disgusted me and terrified me.

Galina Krasskova, free range tribalist heathen

I had a run in with Galina about a year ago. I put my toe into a discussion on an email discussion list she was on and quite frankly, we disagreed. I'm a Chaos Witch and a soft polytheist and I have a tit for tat relationship with most deities and spirits, and a loving adoration and imitation of my patron goddess.  Not that I have a problem with HER being a god-slave if she wants to be, but she does seem to have an attitude that if you don't have the same dynamic with your gods that she does with hers, then you are doing it wrong.  I frankly disagreed.  

Hubris, she said. Hubris. Dangerous, she said. God-bothered, she said. As a witch highly influenced by Chaos Magic, we do dance around with power that can lead to hubris, danger, and being bothered by spirits. And it has happened, but not with my matron goddess--in fact, she helped me to deal with that spirit that I had to cut off ties with, and the situation was dealt with and lessons learned.  My matron also has helped me get through so many challenges that I've set for myself... Perhaps that's why she doesn't feel the need to kick me around... I kick my own arse on a regular basis.

My highest power in my life is MYSELF, period. I have a family to look after, and desires and ambitions for my life. I may adore my goddess, but She and I have a loving relationship, one based on mutual respect. Yes, a deity can and does respect a human being.  A deity is not hide bound into one particular dynamic for everyone. They are much more flexible, in fact, than we are. I've screamed obscenities at one god and have him laugh in my face and then say, "OK, fine, I'll give you what you ask... you amuse me." (This is risky behavior. Newbies, don't try that at home.)  

What's right for me, may not be right for you. If you are willing and able to be a slave for your deity, you should consider that.  It's a big deal, a HUGE deal, and not something to be entered in lightly. Neither is the refusal. Honestly, the issue of slavery has never came up with my goddess, and I'm sure she knows my heart well enough to see that it's a no-go.  I would not be useful to her as such. I think it takes a special kind of person to have that level of commitment with their deity, and I do admire people who are willing and able to do it. But it's not right for my personality, not right for my practice as a witch, and not right for my lifestyle.

The only thing that bothers me about Galina and her writings is her idea that there really is only one true way to do things and that's HER way. I read her articles in Witches and Pagans magazine,  and I like her ideas about discipline and honor. I just can't get behind any one true way for everyone.
Bedazzlecat who sucks at signatures...

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2011, 10:29:30 am »
Quote from: Lecia Hale;17075
I've screamed obscenities at one god and have him laugh in my face and then say, "OK, fine, I'll give you what you ask... you amuse me." (This is risky behavior. Newbies, don't try that at home.)  

That's the kind of relationship I have with the One Who owns me.

Assumptions can be fiddly things.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2011, 10:38:07 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;17089
That's the kind of relationship I have with the One Who owns me.

heck, MOST mysticism is rife with "wrestling with God" -

I usually get wry commentary about lack of technique when I swear .... tsk tsk, can't you be more original than THAT?

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2011, 10:41:26 am »
Quote from: FierFlye;16834
I thought SatSekem made it pretty clear that it was not the practice she was disgusted by, but the terminology.

I find it hard to summon sympathy for anyone who's upset that other people find their religious path naming choice upsetting when they choose to use a word that belittles decades of abuse, torture, rape, and genocide.

In my case, I didn't choose the name - it was grafted onto the practice.  But, I get what you're saying.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Lecia Hale

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2011, 10:46:05 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;17089

Not sure what you mean by that.
Bedazzlecat who sucks at signatures...

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2011, 10:54:24 am »
Quote from: yarnwitch;16837
I have no experience in this life-path, but I hope its not too rude of me to interject my thoughts on the matter.

Please bear in mind that my responses below are with regard to my own God-Slavery and are not meant in any way to describe the relationships others have with deity.

1)I think the word slave, despite its historical association, means that you've entered something similar to a contract with your Deity. That is... that consequences for breaking this contract might be more severe than if you were just a devoted follower who is taking a small break. Whatever the conditions of the contract are, they would be severe enough to warrant use of the word "slave".

Not exactly, but close.  ;)  I do have a contract of sorts to which I agreed and there are certain "things" associated with my role in the relationship that I am expected to do.  I gave consent wholeheartedly - and the contract changes depending on the needs of Neb.y and myself.

2)I don't know much about this, but I think a parallel might be able to be drawn in that it's the job of the s to do everything in their power to please the M. Because a M is generally human and has limited power, the "slave" has much greater responsibility to the Deity. I cannot speak for any sexual aspect.

This is where the line gets fuzzy, and I'd use vocation rather than job.  My vocation as God-Slave is to improve myself through doing what Neb.y requires of me.  It is tricky, though; He doesn't always want me to do what He asks.  The only real consistent "requirement" is that I "...make a fucking choice, already!" (His words)  I am simply not allowed to stagnate...which leads to interesting consequences when I do.

3)Wouldn't a servant of God, at least in the way I'm familiar with hearing it, be something people strive to be? Rather, a God-Slave is something you fall into rather than aspiring to be, as I imagine "Servant of God" being.

Not all people, but that's how I ended up here - I took on the role willingly and cannot imagine it being any other way.

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2011, 10:55:45 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;16840

(... now I want to be Neb.y's printer.  It's a hilariously accurate concept, so long as one goes at it through the dictionary definition of 'slave'.)...

Only if I get to be the mouse. ;)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2011, 11:01:26 am »
Quote from: Lecia Hale;17095
Not sure what you mean by that.

A lot of people in this thread have been assuming that being owned property of a god means a lot of kow-towing, yes-sir yes-ma'am, cookie pursuit, and similar things.  Yours was minor - setting up bitching out and swearing at a deity as something in apparent contrast with such relationships.

But after a half-dozen pages of thread in which people are talking about "blind subservience", "giving up free will", doggie biscuits, and other slams on the competence of others, it was nice to have something to respond to that wasn't outright insulting in order to comment on the issue of such prejudices.
we rise and fall

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2011, 11:05:03 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;17096

Not all people, but that's how I ended up here - I took on the role willingly and cannot imagine it being any other way.

I came to a very deliberate point of "This task binds you to this form of service if you do it properly."  And I had the clear options of taking on the task, taking on the task and doing it half-assed, or not taking on the task.
we rise and fall

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2011, 11:09:19 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;16868
I apologize wholeheartedly if my comment made you uncomfortable or if it has insulted you. My 'ew'ness is not something I was directing to the concept of god-slavery in itself but rather to the idea of someone scarring herself repeteadly as a ritual choice.

It's OK.  I *do* understand the squick factor.   My issue comes when the squick takes over so far that there is an implied assumption that those of us that are willing God-Slaves are somehow broken.  FWIW, this happens with regard to BDSM as well - I cannot tell you how many times I've heard, "Why would anyone want to be dominated by someone else??? That's sick!!!"

Note - I do *not* think you were trying to say that.

I do understand that pain can be an useful ritual tool but the idea of bringinging it to the point of physical disfigurement strikes me as a bit unhealthy. That's only my POV, obviously and it can be flawed. Especially since all i know of GK is what I read on this thread.

I am a squeamish when it comes to physical pain, so i can't imagine my Lady would ask that from me... because I am not comfortable with it.

*nods*  I get what you're saying here.  For me, it boils down to the following:

- Are there lessons to be learned here that *need* to be learned?
- Is this an offering that must be made in order to grow and improve?

If the answer is "Yes" to either of those, I don't see it as a problem.  *shrug*

This doesn't mean I disrespect those who are on a different path . My reaction and feelings were uniquely directed to the idea of disfigurement... as it triggered thoughts of medieval Cristianity and monks whipping themselves bloody because they didn't feel whorty enough.

Of course, the same gesture has a  different value within pagan context, one that has little to do with shame and self-loathing.

I guess I'd say here that disfigurement is in the eye of the beholder - some things (tattoos, piercings, etc.) can be considered disfiguring by some while others find them to be enhancements.  Again, I get what you mean, though.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2011, 11:12:12 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;16872
I would also note that this is actually tangential from the original conversation; while many people conflate godslavery and physical ordeal work, much like many people assume that d/s or m/s in BDSM include sadomasochistic activity, they are not the same.  One can do one or the other, both, or neither.

This.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2011, 11:28:35 am »
Quote from: Jenett;16930

There's no reason that needs to be different for other kinds of ordeal work - and in fact, that's something the BDSM community has been relatively self-aware about for quite a long time. (In major contrast, in my experience, to many people in the Pagan community, who often don't think about aftercare and recovery time as part of their ritual planning, and who are then shocked that they aren't coping well, or have lasting blisters/minor infections/heat exhaustion, etc. after, say, an outdoor ritual that wasn't fully thought through.)

I've often wondered why aftercare isn't an automatic part of ecstatic ritual.  In fact, I cannot remember ever participating in a group ritual where anything beyond "Remember to Ground" was said...although, it has been a while (5+ years) since I've participated in one.  Has this changed?

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2011, 11:30:40 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;17112
I've often wondered why aftercare isn't an automatic part of ecstatic ritual.  In fact, I cannot remember ever participating in a group ritual where anything beyond "Remember to Ground" was said...although, it has been a while (5+ years) since I've participated in one.  Has this changed?

A while back on the nonfluffypagans forum on livejournal there was a thread basically about ritual blue balls.  "We raised all this energy!  And then we were done!  ... ow!"

My once-college-roommate posted something to the effect of, "Did nothing with it?  Not even ask for more pie?"

We wound up doing a whimsical Yule ritual that year (we didn't generally do Yule) raising energy and asking the cosmos for pie.
we rise and fall

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2011, 11:49:36 am »
Quote from: Garm;17017
Which is the understanding most people are going to take home and not the same thing as methodically stripping down the ego boundaries to get at the spirit with in. I don't know how you can understand it without having the experience.  

I don't think you can understand what an ordeal is like without going through it (all mystics speak mystic) *but* the recognition that ordeals occur that *some* must go through is easily understandable.

And when religious people do have it, when they have what they feel is Jesus coming to them after they have given everything up in despair,  which is their equivalent of it, they will usually see the circumstances leading up to the crises as Gods plan.

Two questions:
(1) Why are you conflating "religious" with "Christian"?  
(2) Why is it wrong to see an ordeal as part of a Divine plan?

Most of them will probably think getting oneself tortured to accomplish the same ends as humans usurping Gods role.

I didn't think we were discussing torture here.

Tags: