Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Struggling with my "path"  (Read 3618 times)

selena_11

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Struggling with my "path"
« on: December 29, 2014, 10:32:37 pm »
I have been doing some research to try and determine what path "calls" to me in particular... I used to practice Wicca and witchcraft as a solitary (although I regularly met with two friends that were also solitary Wiccans to practice rituals and discuss experiences).  Now, as a mother of 2 toddlers with a full-time career, I haven't had the time to think about my religion or spirituality and find that I am missing it and need it back in my life.  It has been especially noticeable since the passing of my grandfather a little over a year ago...

Currently, I am not sure which form of Wicca would fit me most, or if Druidism would be more suited.  I was hoping there would be someone that could help me in my studies so that I have some resources or someone else's experiences to consider in my quest.  I have always been the most comfortable with Hecate.  I honestly have no idea why, and I can't even remember when I started concentrating on Hecate, but to this day she is still who I talk to when I feel the need to look for advice or use my tarot/runes.  I feel very connected to the Earth and have recently taken up yoga (as well as I am trying to dive more into meditation).  I have never been great at spells, but I enjoy working with talismans, crystals, runes, chakras, etc.  I also find myself very connected to the cycles of the moon and I have always had a connection with spirits and have seen/sensed beings regularly.

I also noticed the term "druidcraft" in my studies so far and am curious about the concept, but I'm not sure.  Does anyone else have experience mixing the two into something that works well for a solitary practitioner? I'm not against practicing with others, however, where I live is quite small so no one has publicly come out as either Druid or Wiccan, making it difficult to find someone to discuss these things with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks to everyone for your time. :)

habbalah

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling with my "path"...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 01:27:15 pm »
Quote from: selena_11;168317
I have been doing some research to try and determine what path "calls" to me in particular... I used to practice Wicca and witchcraft as a solitary (although I regularly met with two friends that were also solitary Wiccans to practice rituals and discuss experiences).  Now, as a mother of 2 toddlers with a full-time career, I haven't had the time to think about my religion or spirituality and find that I am missing it and need it back in my life.  It has been especially noticeable since the passing of my grandfather a little over a year ago...

Currently, I am not sure which form of Wicca would fit me most, or if Druidism would be more suited.  I was hoping there would be someone that could help me in my studies so that I have some resources or someone else's experiences to consider in my quest.  I have always been the most comfortable with Hecate.  I honestly have no idea why, and I can't even remember when I started concentrating on Hecate, but to this day she is still who I talk to when I feel the need to look for advice or use my tarot/runes.  I feel very connected to the Earth and have recently taken up yoga (as well as I am trying to dive more into meditation).  I have never been great at spells, but I enjoy working with talismans, crystals, runes, chakras, etc.  I also find myself very connected to the cycles of the moon and I have always had a connection with spirits and have seen/sensed beings regularly.

I also noticed the term "druidcraft" in my studies so far and am curious about the concept, but I'm not sure.  Does anyone else have experience mixing the two into something that works well for a solitary practitioner? I'm not against practicing with others, however, where I live is quite small so no one has publicly come out as either Druid or Wiccan, making it difficult to find someone to discuss these things with.

There's nothing wrong with taking time to explore your spirituality and form your path, so please don't feel frustrated if it's taking you a while.

I understand having a small space--when I first started my own path, I only had a tiny studio apartment. You don't need anything to practice but yourself, but is there maybe a shelf you could clear off to use for any supplies you need, out of the reach of your kidlets?

I don't know where you live, but check on sites like meetup.com. There might be a pagan group near you with like-minded people.

As a solitary practitioner myself, I mostly get my connection with others online, here and on the Pagan Forum website. I read a lot of books and watch videos from other pagans on youtube.

I hope some of that helped.
“You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

selena_11

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:35:44 pm »
Quote from: habbalah;168369
There's nothing wrong with taking time to explore your spirituality and form your path, so please don't feel frustrated if it's taking you a while.

I understand having a small space--when I first started my own path, I only had a tiny studio apartment. You don't need anything to practice but yourself, but is there maybe a shelf you could clear off to use for any supplies you need, out of the reach of your kidlets?

I don't know where you live, but check on sites like meetup.com. There might be a pagan group near you with like-minded people.

As a solitary practitioner myself, I mostly get my connection with others online, here and on the Pagan Forum website. I read a lot of books and watch videos from other pagans on youtube.

I hope some of that helped.

Thanks for the comments. I realize likely everyone goes through this at one time or another, so I'll just continuing reading whenever my kidlets give me free time to do so. :)  I have tried looking at meetup.com, but so far it doesn't look like there's anything near by (the nearest groups are roughly 6-7 hours away.  So I will likely need to rely on forums/chats and continue as a solitary.  I will take a look at the Pagan Forum website you mentioned... Any others that you would suggest? I have been looking through the forums to see what others have suggested as well.  Thanks again!

GoddessGal

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 04:19:46 pm »

Merry meet. I'm a new Pagan, or should I say a re evaluating one. I went through something similar as you several years back, I became frustrated, and I ended up abandoning it completely for several years.  Over the last month it's been pulling at me though, So here I am :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking time to evaluate the path of your choice and the ways in which you choose to practice. In fact, that experience of itself is probably more rewarding than anything.

I definitely relate though. Blessed be!
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”

~Friedrich Nietzche~

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 07:50:03 am »

I want to make note here, that while it's good to find a path you're interested in, it's not always so cut and dry with the idea that a path is calling you. In fact, most times a path doesn't really "call", but somebody does a little studying here on one topic, a little studying there, and they find something they want to look more into. Which leads me to my next point.

You've got a lot of great things to work off of here. Firstly, you narrowed down your search to two different things. Wicca and Druidry. For Wicca or witchcraft based direction, I would recommend Jenett's Seeking Website. Jenett provides a lot of good first steps, and some more information about various forms of Wicca. I want to direct your attention to this particular page of Jenett's website, where the various forms that Wicca is used is mentioned.

For Druidry, I'd recommend John Greer's Druidry Hanbook as it's the only book I've ever read on Druidry, plus I hear it's a great resource. You could also look into ADF or OBOD. As far as I know, OBOD is a more Neodruidry approach, so you're aware.

Then you have your connection to Hecate, which can be a good place to start as far as developing a practice. Try giving an offering, and seeing what you get in return. If you've taken up yoga, that also can be done as devotional work, if it's something Hecate or another god might want from you. You've got a lot of great things going on, that can give you a really good direction, it's just a matter of looking at it as a whole and putting together pieces. That's something that only you can really do.

Hope this was helpful.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 08:24:14 am »
Quote from: Raine;168645
I want to make note here, that while it's good to find a path you're interested in, it's not always so cut and dry with the idea that a path is calling you. In fact, most times a path doesn't really "call", but somebody does a little studying here on one topic, a little studying there, and they find something they want to look more into.

This a great point. Relatedly, I don't think there is such a thing as "my path". I think there are many ways of doing many things, and you may prefer some things to others. It's a bit like the modern myth of "the one". There isn't a perfect "one" partner for everyone, just people you might find you're more or less compatible with. I think the myth of "my path" is similarly unhelpful, in modern Paganism.

For Druidry, I'd recommend John Greer's Druidry Hanbook as it's the only book I've ever read on Druidry, plus I hear it's a great resource. You could also look into ADF or OBOD. As far as I know, OBOD is a more Neodruidry approach, so you're aware.

These are great recommendations. 'Neo-druidry' is a slightly tricky term, as all modern druidry is neo-druidry. ('Neo' simply means 'new' - none of us are ancient druids!) ADF and OBOD are different styles of modern druidry, each with different influences. Both are Pagan (in fact, the first OBOD chief helped Gardner create the Wheel of the Year), but OBOD is a broad spirituality that has room for non-Pagans within it (although they're very much a minority in the group). OBOD is quite open, with no real doctrine or rules, but lots of room for self-development of your spirituality. ADF, on the other hand, is a more structured form of modern druidry, entirely Pagan in its structures, and with more attempts to draw on history and archeology to try to recreate pre-Christian rituals and beliefs. Some people find this too highly organised and prefer the freedom of OBOD. Others find that they need more structure than OBOD provides, and find ADF-style druidry useful for that.

To add to Raine's recommendations, OP: you might find British druidry to be quite different from American druidry, and you never know if it might resonate with you more (or less). For the British style of modern druidry, which is mostly non-institutional (i.e. outside of organisations), I recommend Emma Restall Orr, Cat Treadwell and Nimue Brown.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

selena_11

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 09:53:34 pm »
Thank you for the recommendations. I have been looking at the OBOD, ADF, etc. websites and I have also started reading the website written by Emma Restall Orr for more information on Druidry.  I also found a website for AODA which has a study guide which I am curious about.  Does anyone have experience with it?

I am slowly starting to think I might need a combination of the two, as I am finding that certain aspects of Wicca and witchcraft I feel connected to, while other aspects I really like about Druidry.  So, after reviewing the forum and many of the suggested websites (although I believe I have a LOT more studying to do yet), I will likely try to continue experimenting with both.  I am hoping it will end up being a successful adventure, but I appreciate any other advice/thoughts from those that have already been through this!  Thanks again for all of your help! :D:

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 11:12:52 pm »
Quote from: selena_11;168670

A Reminder:
Hi, selena_11,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

I'm guessing you were thinking of it as a 'general reply to the thread', but as you'll see in the Quoting Guidelines I linked in the previous paragraph, our definition of 'general reply' is quite specific - because you went on from the, 'thanks, everyone,' part to say things that responded to specific advice you were given, it's no longer 'general' by our definitions. In such cases, it's best to choose the post that your response is most directly to, to quote. The overwhelming majority of posts require a quote; those that don't are a rarity, as you'll see reading the various forums here.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 11:53:43 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;168647
Relatedly, I don't think there is such a thing as "my path". I think there are many ways of doing many things, and you may prefer some things to others. It's a bit like the modern myth of "the one". There isn't a perfect "one" partner for everyone, just people you might find you're more or less compatible with. I think the myth of "my path" is similarly unhelpful, in modern Paganism.

It was considerably more useful the way it was originally used, to refer to a particular individual's 'spiritual journey' (or for a less fanciful phrasing, their practice as it developed over time), particularly in cases where it didn't fully fit with an established pagan religion/tradition/current. One might well be the only person on that path, or might share it with others only in a fairly broad way (f'ex, as in descriptors like 'Warrior's Path' or 'Poet's Path). It's a thing one builds, not a thing one finds; what one finds is building materials.

Current usage tends, quite heavily, to imply that a person's path already exists independently of that person, and that all that's necessary is for them to find this pre-existing 'off-the-rack tailored fit' (I'm hoping the inherent contradiction in that is obvious). I have some thoughts about how that shift came about (cross-germination of concepts with the New Age movement, unexamined aversion to the word 'religion' even when it's apt, privilege) but a discussion about that, if you're interested in having one, should probably have its own thread.

But I'm in complete agreement with you that the all-too-common current use is massively useless - indeed, I'll go farther and say it's an active hindrance.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: