Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Praying for people of other religions  (Read 6397 times)

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Praying for people of other religions
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 10:46:08 am »
Quote from: sea-salt;168242
I recently started working with Brighid, so maybe praying to her as St. Brigit would be appropriate?

This is only my perspective, so take it with a grain of salt (no pun intended :p)... I would pray to the deity(ies) I have a connection with and believe in, rather than talking to a God or Goddess I have no connection with, though I may still believe in them. There's no reason I can think of that Goddess Eir would refuse to help someone who is ill; or why Freyr would not help someone financially; or Njordr for a journey; or Thor for getting over a particular fear, even though the person may not be of my faith, and has his or her own Gods.

Lokison

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 10:57:57 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;170384
Eh. Not how I see it, since I'm a hard polytheist, and I have definitely experienced the gods as individuals. We'll just have to disagree on that.

Agreed.  :)

To use your road analogy, what if that route through Main went through a super sketchy neighborhood where there'd recently been a carjacking? Sure, I'd get there just as fast, but my boss probably wouldn't appreciate going that way!

I'm a hardcore believer that the end justifies the means.  Next time don't ask me to take you home.  ;)

I don't like the idea of my Christian friends praying to Jesus for me, since I prayed to him myself for years and got nothing. Likewise, I really don't think they'd be comfortable with me praying to a "pagan god" for them, since a number of them a fundamentalists.

Yet I am sure that they do, praying that you will 'find' Jesus.  That God will show you the Way.  I do get your point and I hope you get mine.  I used to get upset when someone would pray for me, etc.  As my beliefs have refined into a duality of C/O, these things bother me less.  I have no deity seeking my attention or vice versa.  I am an instrument for Chaos to flow through, not a tool to "do work".  But YBMV.
My beliefs are my own.  I do not speak for anyone else.  It is my personal perspective.  
I am not the Way or the Truth.  No Man or Woman can reach their God/dess through me.

When people ask me, "What give you the right to suggest standards for others?",
my answer is, "If I don\'t, someone else, perhaps less qualified, will."
History has proven that qualification is based on acceptance. The end justifies the means. - LaVey

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 02:13:55 pm »
Quote from: Lokison;170406
I'm a hardcore believer that the end justifies the means.  Next time don't ask me to take you home.

This is likely another place where we differ. And as a female, I also probably have different concerns when it comes to my physical safety.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 02:18:30 pm »
Quote from: Lokison;170406
Yet I am sure that they do, praying that you will 'find' Jesus.

This is why I don't tell my fundamentalist friends that I am not Christian, actually. In any case, it's still something I would consider very rude. More to the point, it wouldn't work. I actually did get a visit from Jesus, not that long ago. He didn't really give a shit, because I was never supposed to be Christian in the first place.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

DashesAgainst

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2015, 09:45:19 pm »
Quote from: sea-salt;168235
Hopefully this is the right place for this sort of question.

Should I have any ethical concerns about praying for someone of another religion? Is it, for example, disrespectful to pray for someone to a god they most certainly don't believe in?

If it's an Abrahamic, "thou shalt have no other gods before me" type, then I pray to their god.  

Anything else, I either pray to their concept of god or mine.

Of course, asking their personal preference (if they're open-minded) is best, imo.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:47:12 pm by DashesAgainst »
"Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue." - The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

Lokison

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2015, 08:07:58 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;170428
More to the point, it wouldn't work.

So you believe their prayers for you, their energy directed toward you, their God paying attention to you, doesn't work at all?
My beliefs are my own.  I do not speak for anyone else.  It is my personal perspective.  
I am not the Way or the Truth.  No Man or Woman can reach their God/dess through me.

History has proven that qualification is based on acceptance. The end justifies the means. - LaVey

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 09:41:29 am »
Quote from: Lokison;170507
So you believe their prayers for you, their energy directed toward you, their God paying attention to you, doesn't work at all?

You're assuming that their God is paying attention to me. I know from experience that he isn't. :)

Lokison

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2015, 11:52:33 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;170519
You're assuming that their God is paying attention to me.

What about the other two comments?  Their prayer for you doesn't work?  Their energy bounces off?

Just curious, we have agreed to disagree, yet seems you want to talk more.  :)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2015, 12:06:10 pm »
Quote from: Lokison;170525
What about the other two comments?  Their prayer for you doesn't work?  Their energy bounces off?

Just curious, we have agreed to disagree, yet seems you want to talk more.  :)
Never said their prayers "wouldn't work" or that their energy "bounced off." My point was that their God has never been interested in me. That simple.

Tags: