collapse

Author Topic: Living in a Christian home  (Read 2076 times)

tyr1213

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Living in a Christian home
« on: December 23, 2014, 01:46:35 am »
I am a older teen that follows Asatru in a house of Christians. I need advice very badly because its starting to get hard to breath. None of them know of my choices but are beginning to question what I believe and are telling me not to research and read to much outside what they believe and when I mentioned the Christianization of Europe and the Crusades and such I was scorned because they think that Christianity is entirely benevolent but it was spread through death and force. Advice, friendship, and fellowship is all I seek if anyone could help I would be heavily grateful.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:48:42 am by tyr1213 »

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: Living in a Christian home
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 02:20:06 am »
Quote from: tyr1213;168064
I am a older teen that follows Asatru in a house of Christians. I need advice very badly because its starting to get hard to breath. None of them know of my choices but are beginning to question what I believe and are telling me not to research and read to much outside what they believe and when I mentioned the Christianization of Europe and the Crusades and such I was scorned because they think that Christianity is entirely benevolent but it was spread through death and force. Advice, friendship, and fellowship is all I seek if anyone could help I would be heavily grateful.

Hey, fellow older teen! First, welcome to TC.

Second, maybe it's a good idea to not butt heads at the moment? I know that it's super hard not to, but if your family is really that Christian, it might be a good idea to keep your mouth shut.

Third, if you really feel the need to argue, make sure you know what you're talking about. Read up on the history of Christianity and try to argue your side without coming across as overly biased. (I believe we have a Biblical scholar on the board?) Read the Poetic and Prose Eddas if you can--I bet you can find a PDF on the interwebs. Learn as much as you can so when you debate, you can defend your points adequately. Parents are more willing to accept things when you've done your research. I know it's annoying and a lot of work but it makes you look more credible.

But seriously, if I make a conjecture from the little you described, it might be best if you kept your mouth shut.

Hope this helps you out some. Again--welcome to The Cauldron.

PS; if I may mention, I kind of view religion as a grey area--neither good nor bad. Just the people behind it and what they do with it. So Christianity itself may not be bad, but there were some bad people spreading it through violence. (and whether or not people are totally bad is a whole 'nother animal but you get the idea). Maybe try looking at it through a lens of "I don't agree with it and I don't like it but it's not all bad?"

I don't know. I'm gonna go to bed now.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 02:23:20 am by HarpingHawke »
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

makaros

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 05:34:23 pm »

This is always tough and my heart goes out to you.  I would say that the best way of handling the situation depends on what you're wanting to do.  If you want to directly acknowledge why and what you're looking into, sitting down with your family members and letting them know why you're exploring other paths outside of Christianity and why you would appreciate their respect could help.  But that could also go very wrong, and I really don't blame you if you don't want to take that route.

Masking your spiritual interest in an interest in history/anthropology/comparative religion can go a long way in defusing any problems, and discussing that stuff with your family in a way that draws attention to "Guys did you know x people did y thing, how crazy is that?" and away from "Why is tyr1213 being so weird about funny old gods?"  I don't know how strange this might be for your personality - I was always in ancient history books as a kid and teen.  If you don't read much, just say your interest was piqued by something - surely it was piqued by something. :)  But this approach is, IMO, the best way to avoid lying to your family while pursuing something you really believe in.

Hope that helps!

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 01:19:15 am »

Hi, Tyr, and welcome to TC! I've moved this out of the Asatru and Heathenry SIG because your post isn't specific to A&H stuff. And I think you might get more responses in a wider part of TC.

That said, there have been threads about just the issue before if you search.

Welcome again.
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Mark C.

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 09:12:03 am »

This podcast covers the topic and may help.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/another-pagan-podcast/e/episode-74-coming-out-again-31289895

Mark C.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:12:20 am by Mark C. »

Tags: