collapse

Author Topic: Finding the right deity/deities  (Read 4916 times)

starkwolves

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Finding the right deity/deities
« on: December 22, 2014, 03:02:20 pm »
So I'm not "new" to paganism in the sense that I've been calling myself pagan for a little over a year and a half, but I've been struggling a lot in trying to find the "right path" I guess. I generally refer to myself as eclectic just out of simplicity and lack of a better word to describe what I am, but then, I kind of think that I don't know what I am, especially since connecting with one pantheon or religious aspect is confusing for me.

Connecting with deities is a problem I'm having a lot lately. I've been drawn to different deities at various times, like Loki, Pan, Cernunnos, Brighid, Lugh, Ares, etc., but some of those feelings about various deities have dissipated and I wonder if it was my reading about things that was making me feel a connection that may not have really been there.

The idea of deity is very important to me, so the fact that I've felt drawn different places but nothing has really come of it/I don't know what to do about it because resources on specific deities are really hard to find sometimes (e.g. Pan) is frustrating to me. Is there anything I can do to help determine at least a little more definitively where I should be going and which deities I should try to be connecting with more when I feel that pull to a specific god or goddess?

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the right deity/deities...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 04:28:49 pm »
Quote from: starkwolves;168034
So I'm not "new" to paganism in the sense that I've been calling myself pagan for a little over a year and a half, but I've been struggling a lot in trying to find the "right path" I guess. I generally refer to myself as eclectic just out of simplicity and lack of a better word to describe what I am, but then, I kind of think that I don't know what I am, especially since connecting with one pantheon or religious aspect is confusing for me.

Connecting with deities is a problem I'm having a lot lately. I've been drawn to different deities at various times, like Loki, Pan, Cernunnos, Brighid, Lugh, Ares, etc., but some of those feelings about various deities have dissipated and I wonder if it was my reading about things that was making me feel a connection that may not have really been there.

The idea of deity is very important to me, so the fact that I've felt drawn different places but nothing has really come of it/I don't know what to do about it because resources on specific deities are really hard to find sometimes (e.g. Pan) is frustrating to me. Is there anything I can do to help determine at least a little more definitively where I should be going and which deities I should try to be connecting with more when I feel that pull to a specific god or goddess?

Unfortunately, finding *that* connection is really, really hard - even for the most open headed people. Finding (and keeping) a deep, devotional relationship involves a lot of hard, emotional work. And faith. It's not a given. Never assume that a deity will just stick around. Likewise, always be prepared for a deity to show up again!

It sounds like you've done a lot of work. My advice to you (and I know you're going to hate this) is to keep trying. Think about who you really want to work with. Who do you think is best for you? Don't just base your decision on who seems compelling. Since it sounds like going with your gut has gotten you a lot of "hits" but no lasting success, I'd try a more logical, calculated approach. What do you need in your life right now - good luck, success, money, wisdom? Pick a good who can help you with your goals. That's how I met Sarasvati. I haven't regretted it.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:27:23 pm »

I don't see that there's a "should be going" to find, which means that looking for it is going to be infinitely frustrating.  Even if there are specific gods that would particularly value your attention, it's highly likely that they're inclined towards having you do the work.

If you want to honour a particular power, set up a shrine.  Find some set of offerings, behaviours, or rituals that work for you, and do the thing.  If a personal relationship happens, that's the structure in which they are most reliably built.  If a personal relationship doesn't happen, but you still find the experience of maintaining the shrine and the actions valuable, then you know a bit more, and you can maintain that.  If it turns out that something doesn't fit - whether the god or the the means that you are using to honour them - then you know that too.

You are allowed to explore, to experiment, and to spend some time experimenting with what sorts of things actually work best to connect you to the spiritual.  Try different things, see what produces interesting and meaningful results for you.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she, her, hers
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 05:14:56 pm »
Is there anything I can do to help determine at least a little more definitively where I should be going and which deities I should try to be connecting with more when I feel that pull to a specific god or goddess?

What Redfaery and Darkhawk said. And also: write down your experiences. When you feel pulled to a particular deity, write about it: what do you feel, why do you think you may be feeling that, what can you find about that deity, etc. Start writing everything you do towards your goal of finding a deity to worship, and when you realize it's not the right deity for you, write that down too. Every once in a while, read what you wrote. It can be of help.
Angeles/IceAngie/Selegna.

Horizons

• View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic/Hellenic-leaning Polytheist
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 06:40:02 pm »

I would say to choose a few Deities whose influence you would like in your life and then work hard at reaching out to them. It's convenient to be hit over the head by a particular Deity, but I haven't found it to be necessary. The main Deity I'm working with right now is one I chose to reach out to because He had specific attributes I needed in my life. Build them shrines, read about them, give them regular offerings and rituals or prayers of praise, and find a method of listening for their influence, something like meditation or a divinatory art. Keep on like that until you feel an answer or are convinced you're not going to get one.

I also notice from the names in your post that you're scattered between a lot of different pantheons. Some people have plenty of success that way, but if you're struggling it might be easier to focus on Deities from one pantheon for a while. That lets you focus on one set of mythology and a single culture, which can make the head-space for worship easier to find.

Just some ideas. Best of luck in finding something that works for you.

GoddessGal

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 07:30:08 am »

I am very new to Paganism, and may not be the best person to give advice, but I thought I'd share my experience.  I have recently been very into my Goddess Oracle Cards, and use them almost daily.  When I draw a card that I'm particularly drawn to, I read up on that Goddess and see if there is a 'click'.  If there is, then I write my experiences down with working with that particular Goddess.  For me, in my newness, that is working beautifully and paving way in my personal connection.  Blessed Be :)
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”

~Friedrich Nietzche~

sionnachdearg

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 10:16:27 am »
Quote from: GoddessGal;168750
I am very new to Paganism, and may not be the best person to give advice, but I thought I'd share my experience.  I have recently been very into my Goddess Oracle Cards, and use them almost daily.  When I draw a card that I'm particularly drawn to, I read up on that Goddess and see if there is a 'click'.  If there is, then I write my experiences down with working with that particular Goddess.  For me, in my newness, that is working beautifully and paving way in my personal connection.  Blessed Be :)

How do you find the information to know enough about a god like lug or goddess like Brighid to start?

habbalah

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 12:32:07 pm »

Nobody can tell you who to connect with but you, unless an entity reaches out to you first. My advice is to read read read. Find books or websites about different pantheons and see if any of them pull at your, or a specific entity does. If they do, try meditation to form a connection with them, just talking to them. It's not always easy and may take a while to form a relationship.
“You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

DavidMcCann

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 01:23:32 pm »

A lot of people do get a gut feeling, or even a personal visit, but a lot of others don't. Most primal pagans don't seek one particular god: a Hindu may regard Vishnu or Shiva as the principal god, but that doesn't stop them worshiping Ganesha and Sarasvati. I'd suggest you look for a culture which you feel drawn to first: in your case it looks Celtic.

Of course, one of the advantages of the more documented religions, like the Hellenic or Egyptian, is that these things are traditional. As a Hellene, I know that I worship Hekate on the last day of the lunar month, that the 8th of last month was sacred to Poseidon, and the 26th of next month is the festival of Zeus and Hera, and so on.
Minorities are almost always in the right.
They haif said. Quhat say they? Lat thame say!

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 01:25:25 am »
Quote from: sionnachdearg;168769
How do you find the information to know enough about a god like lug or goddess like Brighid to start?

To clarify:  Are you asking GoddessGal (the person you quoted) about how she* gets enough info on deities from the oracle cards she's using?  

Or are you asking a general question about how someone might go about researching deities?

(*  I hope that's the correct pronoun -- GoddessGal's profile isn't clear about pronoun preference, so I'm inferring based on the "Gal" in her user name. If I'm using an incorrect pronoun, I apologize!)
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

GoddessGal

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 03:16:01 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;168864
To clarify:  Are you asking GoddessGal (the person you quoted) about how she* gets enough info on deities from the oracle cards she's using?  

Or are you asking a general question about how someone might go about researching deities?

(*  I hope that's the correct pronoun -- GoddessGal's profile isn't clear about pronoun preference, so I'm inferring based on the "Gal" in her user name. If I'm using an incorrect pronoun, I apologize!)
Yes its she :)
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”

~Friedrich Nietzche~

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 02:59:54 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;168040
Unfortunately, finding *that* connection is really, really hard - even for the most open headed people. Finding (and keeping) a deep, devotional relationship involves a lot of hard, emotional work. And faith. It's not a given. Never assume that a deity will just stick around. Likewise, always be prepared for a deity to show up again!

This is very true. There is a lot of trial and error in trying to connect with and hold a connection with a deity or deities. If you remember, we've talked about my having been on the deity merry-go-round a few times. Of course this is not about me, but I just want to point out that I'm finding that this head blindness is very common.

sionnachdearg

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 10:37:02 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;168864

Sorry to be unclear. I was asking the second question more in general. How do you learn about the deities you are interested in (mine being Celtic) to make a start.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 01:37:15 am »
Quote from: Thorbjorn;168899
Of course this is not about me, but I just want to point out that I'm finding that this head blindness is very common.

So common that, IMO, the phrase 'head blindness' is unhelpful; it implies that being openheaded is the normative state, and having a less-open one is a deviation from that norm - when in practice, it is, if anything, the other way around.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 09:21:29 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;168944
So common that, IMO, the phrase 'head blindness' is unhelpful; it implies that being openheaded is the normative state, and having a less-open one is a deviation from that norm - when in practice, it is, if anything, the other way around.

Sunflower

Interesting, I thought it was something new I stumbled on. Oh well... a day late and a dollar short, as usual. :p  It was so new to me recently I had to look it up when I saw the term. Thanks for the info. :)

Tags: