Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Fae or something else?  (Read 4856 times)

Stormhunter

• View Profile
Fae or something else?
« on: December 22, 2014, 08:25:45 am »
This had been up in the air with me for a while so I would just like to clarify here.

So basically, for a couple years now I've considered myself a changeling. I was taken away from my parents almost immediately after birth before they could see me again, and I don't really look like either of them. While they raised me Christian I strongly feel pagan and practice it to this day, not to mention just before I left Christianity I got STRONG threatening visions of demons and hell torturing me when I attended church. I feel a very strong friendship and connection with otherworldly beings with otherworldly beings, especially dragons; but that's where the tricky part is. Before I considered myself a changeling, I felt very therian. The issue here though is that I never felt one theriotype was right for long. Now my beliefs align strongly with shamanism, so that would explain that, and friends mentioned I felt more fae than human and I've never felt human myself. That's how we came to the changeling conclusion. If you think otherwise though I would appreciate your opinion greatly, and any questions you would like to ask feel free ^_^

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fae or something else?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 09:15:37 am »
Quote from: Stormhunter;167982
This had been up in the air with me for a while so I would just like to clarify here.

May I ask why you think you are fae rather than human? I know how you have come to the conclusion, but why do you think you ARE fae? How does this work to you? Do you feel that you WERE fae in a past life? Do you believe you are something "other" now?

I think I've had a lot of the feelings you describe. A lot of it is my Aspergers. I simply AM an outsider in society. I know other Aspies who feel the same. But I also feel like I have elements of my identity that are truly Other to who I am now.

I have two of these identities: one is that of an elf (not the Tolkien kind!), and another is...Japanese. Yeah. Japanese.

I hold to a Buddhist view of the cosmos, so it's my view that technically, everyone is an Otherkin... ;) The line in Mahayana teaching is that all living things have lived so many countless times, every creature you encounter has been your mother at least once. More to the point, Buddhism teaches that rebirth as something other than human is not only possible, it's the norm.

For me, figuring out these two past existences made a bunch of stuff fall into place. I don't talk about them in much depth, because the Otherkin community is kind of infamous for being full of speshul snowflakes...and honestly I don't really identify as Otherkin. My Japanese life certainly shouldn't count toward that, and it's had a far more profound impact on the course of my life thus far.

So I guess the point of this whole post is...what you're experiencing isn't as unusual as it seems. It's a perfectly valid experience.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Stormhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 09:43:10 am »
I feel I am fae due to the strong connection I have with otherworldly creatures. As a shaman, I travel to other dimensions regularly and practically everything and everyone there acted as though I was family. I was even told at one point that I was during a meditation into a banquet of Fae by the lord of the banquet, I don't recall specifically who they were. They mentioned my fae siblings, two brothers who both I was told needed my help. Im not sure how but I'd hope I can XP Anyways, I met the full fae brother, he's the only one who ever intended any harm upon me. The other brother is the human I was switched with at birth, raised by fae. In past lives I never was fae to my knowledge, though I was at one point a dragon which I know some consider fae. Other then a Terror Bird from one of the dinosaur ages, my other past lives were human as far as I know. I would apologize for how ridiculous this all sounds, given most wouldn't put me far from those speshul snowflakes you mentioned earlier xD But you've already stated your understanding, and I appreciate that very much :)

Stormhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 09:44:24 am »
Oh also, yes I feel other now, I just want to confirm so and if not pinpoint what I am, because as stated I feel for a fact not human.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 09:53:18 am »
Quote from: Stormhunter;167998

A Reminder:
Hi, Stormhunter,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 11:21:51 am »
Quote from: Stormhunter;167998
I feel I am fae due to the strong connection I have with otherworldly creatures (...) I travel to other dimensions regularly and practically everything and everyone there acted as though I was family.

The thing about otherworldly journeys is, I believe, that they're metaphors for true meanings but not true fact. So, while they've been the most transformative when I've stepped into it and believed it with all my heart and soul and lived that way (but quietly, except to my therapist and my blog and my blog about my therapist, because most of the rest of the world just wouldn't have much use for my personal spiritual life), I tend to waver on how literally I take it--what I experience during these journeys.

I think of the words themselves, for instance. Keightley is my favorite resource for fairy lore, and he made the observation that "fae" doesn't appear to refer to any otherworldly entity except in French and English. In English, the actual thing being referred to used to be more popularly named "elf"; and in he French language it might have stemmed from the Fates (which was Latin, so that sort of romantic mythology.)

Those are human words in human language, with corporeal history and etymology.

To try to keep consistent application between this world and the next is...a challenge, I've found. So, do fae only refer to the Fates, or do they also refer to nature spirits and the Tuatha de Danann? Do yokai count as fae? By my experience, they seem to operate by the same spiritual mechanics, but that's only my experience and I'm certifiably insane. If anything, it's best explained in the default world (as opposed to the otherworld) as my psyche sort of burping up symbolisms that I've caught on through osmosis of going through corporeal life.

But, I call it all fae and faeryland because, from what I've read of the stories, it's applied broadly enough to be the best language by which I can articulate my otherworld experiences.

That said, I don't believe that there are as clear delineations in the otherworld as we have here. In the otherworld, it's like...people can become places can become syncretized can become epithets, objects are not inanimate, plants and animals are people, personifications of natural phenomena can marry personifications of human values, children of humanoids can be produced by binary fission (sort of), and it's just a very silly place or maybe I've just been touring different bits than you've been.

By all means, do parse your own experiences in the best and clearest way that you know how, if you need to. But if you're asking me if you are fae, or dragon, or therian...I couldn't make a categorical statement, because I can't believe in those categories anymore.

(Although, heads up! From what I've gathered, or last time I checked, "shaman" is kind of a bad word here...)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:29:18 am by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 01:08:17 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;168015
(Although, heads up! From what I've gathered, or last time I checked, "shaman" is kind of a bad word here...)

It's not a bad word.  It's a word that needs to be used responsibly.

See this thread:  http://ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?8769-Wiccan-Shaman
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Stormhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 03:39:25 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;168024
It's not a bad word.  It's a word that needs to be used responsibly.

See this thread:  http://ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?8769-Wiccan-Shaman

Shit, apologies lol. I guess neo-shaman is appropriate, correct me if Im wrong? I don't mean to insult anyone with it its just the only term I know to use to describe it, and no ones ever found it an issue before. In fact it's in the name of my coven :p

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 09:17:53 am »
Quote from: Stormhunter;167999
Oh also, yes I feel other now, I just want to confirm so and if not pinpoint what I am, because as stated I feel for a fact not human.

Ah. Yes, I understand this feeling. I have variations of it pretty much constantly. I always feel "Other" in some way. My advice, though, is to not get too hung up on it. Frankly, you are a human being right now, for all mundane intents and purposes, just as I am. You have a human body, and you need to take care of it like a human body. You have a human life, and you need to take care of your human life.

I mean, yes, from what you've said, you're not *just* human. Neither am I! But right now, both of us are "wearing" human bodies and living human lives. As nice as it would be, neither of us can run away and live with the fae. (I'm not actually sure that would be a good idea for me, even if I could. I think there are things I'm supposed to do here.).

So, my advice - bottom line? Figure out what this *means* to you. What can this do to make your life (and maybe the lives of others) better? Figure out where it fits in what you have now. Then keep going.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Tags: