Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Practical candle issue  (Read 5034 times)

a.walker.abroad

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Practical candle issue
« on: December 21, 2014, 11:32:59 pm »
Like many of us, part of my daily practice involves lighting a candle.  I've used votives in the past, them moved to tealights, and now I'm using a small makeshift oil lamp.  My problem is tunneling.  My preference would be to only have the candle lit during my morning practice.   I read all the time about people light a candle for two or three minutes.  Votives tunnel quickly unless you let them burn for at least half an hour (the ones I seem to find anyways), and tealights never seem to survive more than three or four lightings (I know they're cheap, but it just wastes so much wax.).  The only reason I'm using an oil lamp is to avoid this issue, and it really isn't as satisfying as a candle.  

So here's my question: how have you dealt with tunneling?  Burn them longer?  Use tapers instead?  Or just accept the tunneling?

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Re: Practical candle issue
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 06:39:02 am »
Quote from: a.walker.abroad;167838
Like many of us, part of my daily practice involves lighting a candle.  I've used votives in the past, them moved to tealights, and now I'm using a small makeshift oil lamp.  My problem is tunneling.  My preference would be to only have the candle lit during my morning practice.   I read all the time about people light a candle for two or three minutes.  Votives tunnel quickly unless you let them burn for at least half an hour (the ones I seem to find anyways), and tealights never seem to survive more than three or four lightings (I know they're cheap, but it just wastes so much wax.).  The only reason I'm using an oil lamp is to avoid this issue, and it really isn't as satisfying as a candle.  

So here's my question: how have you dealt with tunneling?  Burn them longer?  Use tapers instead?  Or just accept the tunneling?

***This IS NOT an attempt at soliciting, just my experience with the products***

Have you tried any of the Bath and Body Works candles? They burn much more smoothly and hardly ever tunnel. Unfortunately there are no unscented ones, they only come in (some really pretty) glass containers, and the giant 3-wicks are (US)$22.50, but there are a HUGE selection of fragrances and they do last a really long time, even the minis.

I've noticed over the years that candles that come in glass containers don't tunnel as much, and I've taken a heat gun to the sides to melt the tunneled parts.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 06:44:28 am »

I had a teacher that would just hack out the offending bits and reuse the wax for a candle that wouldn't tunnel...

I usually just use tealights anyway, so best of luck to you?
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 07:20:37 am »

I use IKEA tealights twice a day for my rituals, morning and night, and I always burn them long in the morning to avoid this problem. I wait til all the wax is transparent before I extinguish them, and for new tealights, this takes around half an hour, perhaps a little longer, depending on quality. I can get three, sometimes four, days out of them this way. But, yeah, you do need to have the time to let them burn long.

But other than that, yeah, taper candles could also work. I also burn them in my shrines, and they're fine, though some seem to be more prone to ridiculous wax drippings than others? But they do break off pretty easily. Small pillar candles of a suitable quality might also work; I find I get the best results from decent quality pillar candles that burn right to the edge, and these aren't usually more than 4.5cm (1.77in) diameter. Any wider than that, and they tend to tunnel pretty badly in my experience.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

a.walker.abroad

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 08:22:17 am »
Quote from: missgraceless;167955
***This IS NOT an attempt at soliciting, just my experience with the products***

Have you tried any of the Bath and Body Works candles? They burn much more smoothly and hardly ever tunnel. Unfortunately there are no unscented ones, they only come in (some really pretty) glass containers, and the giant 3-wicks are (US)$22.50, but there are a HUGE selection of fragrances and they do last a really long time, even the minis.

I've noticed over the years that candles that come in glass containers don't tunnel as much, and I've taken a heat gun to the sides to melt the tunneled parts.
I may have to look into B&B. Ive never really looked at their candles :D

a.walker.abroad

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 08:24:35 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;167973
I use IKEA tealights twice a day for my rituals, morning and night, and I always burn them long in the morning to avoid this problem. I wait til all the wax is transparent before I extinguish them, and for new tealights, this takes around half an hour, perhaps a little longer, depending on quality. I can get three, sometimes four, days out of them this way. But, yeah, you do need to have the time to let them burn long.

But other than that, yeah, taper candles could also work. I also burn them in my shrines, and they're fine, though some seem to be more prone to ridiculous wax drippings than others? But they do break off pretty easily. Small pillar candles of a suitable quality might also work; I find I get the best results from decent quality pillar candles that burn right to the edge, and these aren't usually more than 4.5cm (1.77in) diameter. Any wider than that, and they tend to tunnel pretty badly in my experience.
I dont have any pillar candles right now, but the width you mentioned makes sense.  Or maybe I'll give tealights another chance... better go buy a bag.

Siran

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 09:18:28 am »

Just suggesting (I've never used them, but they may serve) that if you aren't looking for scent, what about electric lights that look like candles?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:31:35 am by SunflowerP »

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 09:27:02 am »
Quote from: a.walker.abroad;167981
I dont have any pillar candles right now, but the width you mentioned makes sense.  Or maybe I'll give tealights another chance... better go buy a bag.

I'll second the small pillar suggestion, especially those shaped to a point on the wick end, rather than flat like votives.

I've found that tealights can vary a lot in quality, and it's not always the cheapest ones that are problematic. You could buy small packs from several places and see which ones burn best, then stock up on those.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

a.walker.abroad

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 09:58:59 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;167994
I'll second the small pillar suggestion, especially those shaped to a point on the wick end, rather than flat like votives.

I've found that tealights can vary a lot in quality, and it's not always the cheapest ones that are problematic. You could buy small packs from several places and see which ones burn best, then stock up on those.
Honestly, ive never really considerer that quality may be the issue with tea b lights.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 10:31:20 am »

This bothered me a lot when I was starting a nightly prayer practice.  I wanted to light a candle to pray, but knew it would only be for a short time, and I am with you, I hate when my candles tunnel!

I had recently gotten one of those old time candle holders (with the wax catcher and little handle), like the ones you see people using to carry taper candles about the house at night.  So I have been using a taper candle, and it's worked out nicely.  I have some really lovely ones I got a long time ago and had been hoarding because they are just so well made.  I felt it was a good purpose to put them toward.

But before that I had played with other candle types.  I use birthday candles for other quick burnings, and last year bought some Hanukkah candles (which are slightly thicker and longer than standard birthday candles).  I was looking for something to put in the small holders I had.  They were made for spell (or chime) candles, but I haven't been able to find that size candle for a good price.  

I love birthday candles for small spells or blessings, because I can let them burn completely out without needing to devote hours to watching them (my cat's like to be dumb around candles, I can't even leave them burning in another room while I go to the bathroom unless they are well guarded)
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 11:02:47 am »

There's always the option of coil candles. If I ever set up a working space and start doing short things in the morning or evening, a coil candle is my plan.  Light coil tip, do practice, extinguish. Easy as pie.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 06:24:48 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;168007

I love birthday candles for small spells or blessings, because I can let them burn completely out without needing to devote hours to watching them (my cat's like to be dumb around candles, I can't even leave them burning in another room while I go to the bathroom unless they are well guarded)

I usually use tea lights, but I also have a box of Buddhist votive candles, which are about the same thickness as a birthday candle but shorter, and they're designed to last 10 minutes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 03:44:53 am »
Quote from: Allaya;168011
There's always the option of coil candles. If I ever set up a working space and start doing short things in the morning or evening, a coil candle is my plan.  Light coil tip, do practice, extinguish. Easy as pie.

I never heard of these before but i looked them up and they seem awesome. Unfortunately they seem pretty exclusively an American thing as i cant find any British Suppliers
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 09:40:54 am »
Quote from: Jake_;168070
I never heard of these before but i looked them up and they seem awesome. Unfortunately they seem pretty exclusively an American thing as i cant find any British Suppliers

My Norwegian mother-in-law has one, so they do exist in some form over here in Euro-land. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a coil candle for sale in the regular shops here either.

So they probably are a specialty item and are probably hiding under a different name. I'll see if I can figure out what that name is for ya.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 11:19:58 am »
Quote from: Allaya;168077
My Norwegian mother-in-law has one, so they do exist in some form over here in Euro-land. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a coil candle for sale in the regular shops here either.

So they probably are a specialty item and are probably hiding under a different name. I'll see if I can figure out what that name is for ya.

I checked under the 'candle by the hour' trade name but I can't find them here either, at least not online. I don't think I've ever seen anything like them in the shops either, but I'll link if I do find them.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Tags: