+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Adept Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    22 Mar 2017 @ 06:32 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2014

Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Sunday, December 21, 2014, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the solstice (summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere; in the North, it's winter solstice, a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!

So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place! Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!

In that spirit, here it is again, folks--that modest rhyme I composed specifically for our winter solstice efforts. Tradition dictates that I offer it as invocation to kick things off:

A WINTER SOLSTICE REVEILLE

by Altair

Light dwindles, life despairs
    A bitter chill is in the air
    The sun departs, and with it goes
    A fruitful season free of woes
    As winter’s icy grip takes hold
    The sleeping landscape to enfold
    Many hours of dark must pass
    Before the sun returns at last
    To make its long-awaited climb
    With promise of a flowering time
    Until that hour, let dark prevail
    Greet longest night with strong wassail
    Sing and dance, feast and drink
    Or solemnly reflect and think
    From strange and hidden wells partake
    With one rule only: Stay awake!
    From dusk till dawn, hear our refrain:
    Let the solstice revels reign

[In the last line, swap in the word “vigil” for “revels” if the feeling is more contemplative than festive]

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair is a splendid one to behold Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Re: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Sunday, December 21, 2014, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the solstice (summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere; in the North, it's winter solstice, a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!
    It's just after midnight in NYC on December 21--the dawn isn't even close, let alone the sunset that will kick off the all-night vigil here--but I figured I'd get the thread started now for Cauldronites in the Australasian region, for whom late afternoon is soon to give way to evening and the start of their nightfall.

You vanguards of the east, give us a preview of what's heading our way!

This year's non-theme--inspiration for what to post, which can be completely ignored if you want to post something completely different (hence the "non" in "non-theme")--is:

Home Is Where the Heart(h) Is

Show us/tell us about the place you call home, or that you want to call home, or that is your spiritual home even if you've never been there. Dazzle us! And/or make us yearn for home.
    Last edited by Altair; 20 Dec 2014 at 11:18 PM. Reason: left off the non-theme by mistake

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Here are December 21 sunset/December 22 sunrise local times for some places that Caudronites call home:

Sydney, NSW, Australia -- 8:05 PM/5:41 AM
    Munich, Bavaria, Germany -- 4:22 PM/8:02 AM
    London, England, UK -- 3:54 PM/7:54 AM
    Dublin, Ireland -- 4:08 PM/8:39 AM
    Buenos Aires, Argentina -- 8:06 PM/5:38 AM
    New York, NY, USA -- 4:32 PM/7:17 AM
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada -- 4:29 PM/8:25 AM
    Waco, TX, USA -- 5:30 PM/7:25 AM
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada -- 4:32 PM/8:38 AM
    San Diego, CA, USA -- 4:47 PM/6:47 AM
    Portland, OR, USA -- 4:30 PM/7:48 AM

All times are per http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunrise.html where you can look up the times for your own locale.

The precise moment of solstice will occur on December 21 at 23:03 Universal Coordinated Time (UTC), with the new moon effectively coinciding on December 22 at 01:36 UTC. So if you're in the UK, hold onto your hats at midnight!

Administrator Achievements:
    OverdriveRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RandallS has disabled reputation RandallS's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

All times are per http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunrise.html where you can look up the times for your own locale.
    I just noticed that this page will also give you the exact local time of the solstice. In my case (Garland, TX), it is 5:02 PM today.
    Randall
    RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
    Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
    Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Master Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sobekemiti will become famous soon enough Sobekemiti will become famous soon enough Sobekemiti's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:47 AM
    Country
    Australia
    Religion
    Hem-Netjer; Witch; Polytheist; Scribe; Kemetic Monastic; Druid-In-Training (ADF)
    Pronouns
    xe/hir/xem

Quote Originally Posted by RandallS View Post
    I just noticed that this page will also give you the exact local time of the solstice. In my case (Garland, TX), it is 5:02 PM today.
    7:03am tomorrow (the 22nd) for me (Perth, Western Australia), though I'm not sure if I'll do ritual tonight, or do it first thing tomorrow, whenever I get up. Not sure an all-nighter is useful this close to Christmas, but we'll see.
    Sobekemiti Isetemsaf | Queer Polytheist and Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are xe/hir/xem
    Dreamwidth Journal | Per Sebek: The House of Sebek
    Shedety Scriptorium - my new Etsy shop, selling handmade journals, prayer beads, and other sacred items.

Staff Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album pictures10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Tana has a spectacular aura about Tana has a spectacular aura about Tana's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    Germany
    Religion
    Primal Witchcraft

And hi everyone!
    Tho' I highly doubt, I will make it through the whole night, I will serve my duty as vanguard.

Sunset is 16:34 local time. Now it's 15:48 and already grey and gloomy, we might drown this year.

The Solstice will be happening two minutes after midnight exactly which is pretty neat. I think I will stay up until then.
    'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
    That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
    You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
    All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.'
    Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

Confuzzled and proud.

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Aranel has a spectacular aura about Aranel has a spectacular aura about Aranel has a spectacular aura about Aranel's Avatar
    Last Online
    17 Feb 2016 @ 02:47 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Pagan
    Pronouns
    they/their

Quote Originally Posted by Tana View Post
    And hi everyone!
    Tho' I highly doubt, I will make it through the whole night, I will serve my duty as vanguard.

Sunset is 16:34 local time. Now it's 15:48 and already grey and gloomy, we might drown this year.

The Solstice will be happening two minutes after midnight exactly which is pretty neat. I think I will stay up until then.
    Hi :D

About 30 minutes to sunset here according to that site. It's still pretty light, nice blue sky :D

I might stay up all night, not sure. I can't do anything else. Can't do any rituals. I have a very nosy crippled dog who has to be with me all the time, and her huge bed is taking up all the space where I normally do my rituals. (I can't even get to my altar because she's in the way. )
    If the weather isn't too bad I do sometimes try to get to the local stone circle or even just up on the hills for sunrise but again, that's out this year because of the dog. And I can't do anything outside of my room because family.

Staff Achievements:
    Tana has a spectacular aura about Tana has a spectacular aura about Tana's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    Germany
    Religion
    Primal Witchcraft

Sunset is 16:34 local time.
    And the darkness has begun.
    Going to light my candles now for the vigil.
    (Even if it's just a part-night one.)
    You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.

Confuzzled and proud.

Master Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sobekemiti will become famous soon enough Sobekemiti will become famous soon enough Sobekemiti's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:47 AM
    Country
    Australia
    Religion
    Hem-Netjer; Witch; Polytheist; Scribe; Kemetic Monastic; Druid-In-Training (ADF)
    Pronouns
    xe/hir/xem

And the darkness has begun.
    Going to light my candles now for the vigil.
    (Even if it's just a part-night one.)
    It's 11:30pm at the moment, and I'm attempting to paint something for Heru to offer during my ritual. I have an 8"x10"canvas that I'm working on at the moment. I am not a great artist, but I want to paint something for Him anyway. It keeps me busy.

I decided it made more sense to do my solstice ritual tomorrow morning, when it's daylight, so I'm getting everything prepped tonight, and all laid out, so I can get some sleep, and it's all ready for tomorrow. Besides, it's weird doing a midsummer ritual at night. I need me some sunlight :D

Not sure when I'll sleep, though, but we'll see. I might be up for another few hours, or I'll collapse at 1am. IDK. We'll see.
    Sobekemiti Isetemsaf | Queer Polytheist and Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are xe/hir/xem
    Dreamwidth Journal | Per Sebek: The House of Sebek
    Shedety Scriptorium - my new Etsy shop, selling handmade journals, prayer beads, and other sacred items.

Staff Achievements:
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    Germany
    Religion
    Primal Witchcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Sobekemiti View Post
    Besides, it's weird doing a midsummer ritual at night. I need me some sunlight :D

Not sure when I'll sleep, though, but we'll see. I might be up for another few hours, or I'll collapse at 1am. IDK. We'll see.
    Well, the vigil thing is more for the Winter Solstice, that's true.

Confuzzled and proud.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast