collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Book questions.  (Read 3111 times)

TheElegantShadow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Book questions.
« on: December 17, 2014, 04:34:11 pm »
So, I recently bought these two books on Celtic practices: The Element Encyclopedia of The Celts and By Oak, Ash & Thorn: Modern Celtic Shamanism . My question is are these books at all viable sources for information regarding Celtic practices and the like? In the latter one, the author (D.J Conway) makes a lot of references to Shamanism, which I've heard is a problematic term to use when dealing with Celtic and other European, Pagan, spiritual practices, and... it has an extreme adversity towards Christianity. Literally every other page says how bullshit it is to the author, which honestly wares of my experience of reading the book. The former is well, an encyclopedia that I bought because it belongs to a series of books that I have had a good experience with, that being The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures.

I'm just getting back into researching the Celts and such, so I'm really not certain what to make of these. Some assistance would be very much appreciated. :)
"Remember that a question is not a challenge to you as a person, but merely a request for information." I need to remind myself of this, at times. XD

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
Re: Book questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 06:09:34 pm »
Quote from: TheElegantShadow;167553
So, I recently bought these two books on Celtic practices: The Element Encyclopedia of The Celts and By Oak, Ash & Thorn: Modern Celtic Shamanism . My question is are these books at all viable sources for information regarding Celtic practices and the like? In the latter one, the author (D.J Conway) makes a lot of references to Shamanism, which I've heard is a problematic term to use when dealing with Celtic and other European, Pagan, spiritual practices, and... it has an extreme adversity towards Christianity. Literally every other page says how bullshit it is to the author, which honestly wares of my experience of reading the book. The former is well, an encyclopedia that I bought because it belongs to a series of books that I have had a good experience with, that being The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures.

I'm just getting back into researching the Celts and such, so I'm really not certain what to make of these. Some assistance would be very much appreciated. :)

You're right, there's nothing 'Celtic,' about shamanism, so I'd definitely avoid Conway at all costs.

If you're researching the Celts, a lot of work went into this sig's( Hazel and Oak), site. Following its listed link will give you loads of good resources that will definitely help.
Semper Fidelis

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 06:15:00 pm »

I've removed your duplicate thread.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

TheElegantShadow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 06:52:02 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;167558
You're right, there's nothing 'Celtic,' about shamanism, so I'd definitely avoid Conway at all costs.

If you're researching the Celts, a lot of work went into this sig's( Hazel and Oak), site. Following its listed link will give you loads of good resources that will definitely help.

I was afraid of that. Oh well, I at least got some good info on meditation from it, so it isn't a complete loss.

I've gone in there a few times, but I admit I haven't really taken a in depth look at it, yet. I think I will now, though. Thank you! :)

Quote from: SunflowerP;167559
I've removed your duplicate thread.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff

Thank you and sorry. The lag from waiting for this Thread to be made caused me to click the button multiple times thinking that it just wasn't registering. I'll try not to let it happen again. :o
"Remember that a question is not a challenge to you as a person, but merely a request for information." I need to remind myself of this, at times. XD

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 07:08:20 pm »
Quote from: TheElegantShadow;167564
Thank you and sorry. The lag from waiting for this Thread to be made caused me to click the button multiple times thinking that it just wasn't registering. I'll try not to let it happen again. :o

I figured something like that. I had some horrid thread-creation-lag problems the other day - what I found worked was to load TC in a new tab, and look to see if my thread had been made (and it had). That only works if you're connecting with TC on a device that allows tabbed browsing, of course.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 09:18:31 am »

I would avoid anything by Conway. She's fluffier than a meringue pie with whipped cream on top, being eaten by a pink unicorn bunny in a chiffon tutu. I've had both her dragon magic books. The anti-Christian sentiment is sadly very strong in just about everything she writes. She can't even figure out how etymologies work; I've got the only work of hers that's really passable - a work on stones and crystals. She tends to give 2-3 different "etymologies" for any given entry, even when its obvious which one is the correct one. Like, she cites both the Latin "amuletum" and the Arabic "hamalat" as the origins for the word "amulet." Ummm...OK. If you want to put it that way.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

TheElegantShadow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 01:10:11 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;167567
I figured something like that. I had some horrid thread-creation-lag problems the other day - what I found worked was to load TC in a new tab, and look to see if my thread had been made (and it had). That only works if you're connecting with TC on a device that allows tabbed browsing, of course.

Sunflower

I actually did that before, but only after I had tried getting the Thread creation to respond a few times. I'll do that first and foremost from now on!

Quote from: Redfaery;167585
I would avoid anything by Conway. She's fluffier than a meringue pie with whipped cream on top, being eaten by a pink unicorn bunny in a chiffon tutu. I've had both her dragon magic books. The anti-Christian sentiment is sadly very strong in just about everything she writes. She can't even figure out how etymologies work; I've got the only work of hers that's really passable - a work on stones and crystals. She tends to give 2-3 different "etymologies" for any given entry, even when its obvious which one is the correct one. Like, she cites both the Latin "amuletum" and the Arabic "hamalat" as the origins for the word "amulet." Ummm...OK. If you want to put it that way.

Yeesh. I'm glad I didn't buy anything else by her. Good thing it was on sale when I bought it, at least. XD

But yes, I'll avoid her works like the plague. @_@

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 01:17:05 pm »
Quote from: TheElegantShadow;167595
Yeesh. I'm glad I didn't buy anything else by her. Good thing it was on sale when I bought it, at least. XD

But yes, I'll avoid her works like the plague. @_@

To be fair, "Dancing with Dragons" is actually kind of useful for inspiration, if not information. I sort of regret selling it. Certainly not for beginners who need straight up instruction, but it's the kind of book one someone like me can read and get ideas from. It's actually kind of adorable, I'm ashamed to admit. So cheesy!
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 10:01:52 pm »

I have the Conway book around here somewhere. It's no good for anything approaching academic research on the Celts or Celtic reconstructionism. I wouldn't say throw it away, I've read some of it, you might find something useful in there for flavoring.

What kind of research are you looking to do? I have a decent list on Celtic myth/lore from the ADF, not terribly much on the historical aspects of things. Ellis's "The Druids" is recommended (I have it, but have not finished it), and you might find useful info in Hutton's books.

Karen

TheElegantShadow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 06:19:54 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;167596
To be fair, "Dancing with Dragons" is actually kind of useful for inspiration, if not information. I sort of regret selling it. Certainly not for beginners who need straight up instruction, but it's the kind of book one someone like me can read and get ideas from. It's actually kind of adorable, I'm ashamed to admit. So cheesy!

Hmm... That's understandable. If not valid information, the most any book can lend is inspiration and ideas. :o

Quote from: dragonfaerie;168155
I have the Conway book around here somewhere. It's no good for anything approaching academic research on the Celts or Celtic reconstructionism. I wouldn't say throw it away, I've read some of it, you might find something useful in there for flavoring.

What kind of research are you looking to do? I have a decent list on Celtic myth/lore from the ADF, not terribly much on the historical aspects of things. Ellis's "The Druids" is recommended (I have it, but have not finished it), and you might find useful info in Hutton's books.

Karen

I'm looking for information on the practices and history, mostly. Maybe something that also sheds light on the Mythology and Folklore of their time. Oh! Something that would dissect (probably not the right word to use. XD) some of the stories and give an idea of the customs and morals held within some of them would be nice as well. Uh... Beginner friendly isn't a must, but would be appreciated. I'm still trying to figure out where to start, in a sense.

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 11:51:48 pm »
Quote from: TheElegantShadow;168549
Hmm... That's understandable. If not valid information, the most any book can lend is inspiration and ideas. :o

I'm looking for information on the practices and history, mostly. Maybe something that also sheds light on the Mythology and Folklore of their time. Oh! Something that would dissect (probably not the right word to use. XD) some of the stories and give an idea of the customs and morals held within some of them would be nice as well. Uh... Beginner friendly isn't a must, but would be appreciated. I'm still trying to figure out where to start, in a sense.
Try Celtic Mythology by Proinsias MacCana Great overview of Celtic Myth, Gods, and cultures. This to me is a great book to start with. http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Mythology-Proinsias-MacCana/dp/0600006476
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:54:09 pm by Cabal »
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 02:35:33 am »
Quote from: TheElegantShadow;168549

And for a handily online resource, you might find Mary Jones's site useful. It's not a precise fit for what you say you're looking for, but it covers enough of it that it's likely to be helpful.

Sunflower

Tags: