collapse

Author Topic: For a magic black cat  (Read 4000 times)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
For a magic black cat
« on: December 16, 2014, 04:56:49 pm »
One of my old cats suddenly reappeared at my parents' house at the crack of dawn this morning, after having been gone for a couple of weeks. He'd been hanging out with the neighbors. But today he was thin and in obvious distress. I took him to the vet as soon as they opened, and she diagnosed him as having an infected mass in his mouth. It could be just an abscessed tooth...but it could also be a tumor.

George is 16 years old, half Siamese and all black. He is the neighborhood cat at this point, though when he's in trouble (like he is right now) he knows to come back home. He was alert and responsive, and clearly *wanted* to eat, though it was obvious that his mouth was causing him discomfort. I am thus hopeful that it is simply an abscess and can be treated with a good dose of antibiotics. However, he is quite old as I mentioned before, and I know I need to be prepared for the worst.

I would appreciate any and all prayers.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: For a magic black cat
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 05:19:42 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;167506
One of my old cats suddenly reappeared at my parents' house at the crack of dawn this morning, after having been gone for a couple of weeks. He'd been hanging out with the neighbors. But today he was thin and in obvious distress. I took him to the vet as soon as they opened, and she diagnosed him as having an infected mass in his mouth. It could be just an abscessed tooth...but it could also be a tumor.

George is 16 years old, half Siamese and all black. He is the neighborhood cat at this point, though when he's in trouble (like he is right now) he knows to come back home. He was alert and responsive, and clearly *wanted* to eat, though it was obvious that his mouth was causing him discomfort. I am thus hopeful that it is simply an abscess and can be treated with a good dose of antibiotics. However, he is quite old as I mentioned before, and I know I need to be prepared for the worst.

Sending prayers for your kitty. I hope he is ok.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 05:27:56 pm »
Quote from: Olivia;167507
Sending prayers for your kitty. I hope he is ok.

Thank you. He is a tough fellow, but he's starting to show his age.

An unusual sight 3 by Redfaery1987, on Flickr

Georgie is the solid black fellow.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 09:25:10 pm »

Sending some prayers.

(Also, I love the pictures!)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 12:20:37 am »

Crossing fingers that it turns out well for George. :cf::cf: And hugs to both of you.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 08:46:54 am »
Quote from: victoreia;167525
Crossing fingers that it turns out well for George. :cf::cf: And hugs to both of you.
Update on George Monster: the antibiotics have done a wonder on his mouth. He ate 3 cans of Fancy Feast before the vet realized what was going on.

However, the blood tests indicate that he is in the earliest stages of kidney disease. Not surprising given his age (16), but I'm still a little upset. Only a little, because we're majorly lucky that we caught it this early. It can be managed with a special diet. The vet says he probably still has a good 5 years left.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 09:52:34 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;167533
Update on George Monster: the antibiotics have done a wonder on his mouth. He ate 3 cans of Fancy Feast before the vet realized what was going on.

However, the blood tests indicate that he is in the earliest stages of kidney disease. Not surprising given his age (16), but I'm still a little upset. Only a little, because we're majorly lucky that we caught it this early. It can be managed with a special diet. The vet says he probably still has a good 5 years left.

Yeah, our vet said that's why they don't call it renal failure anymore unless the kidneys just flat out stop working. Kitties can live happy, healthy lives with chronic kidney disease if it's managed with a special diet. Our little dude is 15 (or there abouts) and has been been on the prescription cat food for two and a half years now.  He's doing great, barring the occasional barf due to slower digestion.

So here's to hoping your kitty does just as well!
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 10:07:37 am »

That's good to hear. I was worried with the initial post that it sounded like my childhood cat. At 18 she was very active and lively, but developed a cancerous abscess in her mouth rendering her unable to eat and drink.

It's good this was discovered in the early stages. I had to brother rescue cats with renal failure that lived a few years after the vet recommended that they be put down. There's a lot of info on the net, and products that can help regulate his diet, however you might have to keep a hard eye on him if he's outdoors a lot.
Semper Fidelis

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 02:51:30 pm »

I'm glad that the antibiotics are working.

The kitty that is pictured in my avi passed away earlier this year from kidney disease. We caught it early and he lived about six years after the diagnosis. So my fingers are crossed that things go as well for your kitty as they did for mine.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 04:06:03 pm »

Phew! I hope everything works out for the best.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 08:46:34 pm »

Glad to hear he's doing well! When I was in high school my family got a 9 month old Cavalier KC Spaniel pup (probably born) with kidney disease, and the vet said she wouldn't make it to a year. She ended up living to be 8, and although she was always a sickly little thing, she was happy. So don't believe what the vets say, they usually tell you the short end of life spans.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 03:41:20 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;167572
Glad to hear he's doing well! When I was in high school my family got a 9 month old Cavalier KC Spaniel pup (probably born) with kidney disease, and the vet said she wouldn't make it to a year. She ended up living to be 8, and although she was always a sickly little thing, she was happy. So don't believe what the vets say, they usually tell you the short end of life spans.

George has been discharged! He's home now, still very thin and pitiful looking, and obviously feeling rather puny. He demanded to be let out right away, but came back almost immediately. I'm pretty sure he's going to be staying close for a while.

George by Redfaery1987, on Flickr

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 05:42:36 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;167636
George has been discharged! He's home now, still very thin and pitiful looking, and obviously feeling rather puny. He demanded to be let out right away, but came back almost immediately. I'm pretty sure he's going to be staying close for a while.

What a handsome, angry boy! That's the definition of "if looks could kill" right there.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 06:19:13 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;167637
What a handsome, angry boy! That's the definition of "if looks could kill" right there.

I agree with you right there. He's adorable though, Redfaery.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 06:20:34 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;167636

Oh look at him. He is a cutie. Glad that he is home safe. Maybe you should try to keep him in until he beefs up a little. He does look a little small.

Tags: