Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Why are Hoodoo, Folk Magick, and Chaos Magick referred to as "low"?  (Read 6521 times)

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Simple question but also what makes certain magickal paths high? Are there in-between paths? Where is Wicca boxed in this case?
PrincessKLS

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
Re: Why are Hoodoo, Folk Magick, and Chaos Magick referred to as "low"?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 06:16:37 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;167447
Simple question but also what makes certain magickal paths high? Are there in-between paths? Where is Wicca boxed in this case?

...Chaos magic is considered low magic? Isn't it actually the bastard love child of 'high' ceremonial magic and philsophy? That is neither high nor low and is instead whatever what it wants to be?

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 06:20:55 pm »

I wouldn't class Chaos magick as "low," but for the rest, it's usually because they're not as elaborate.  "High" magick is mostly ceremonial, utilising elaborate tools, props, big grimoires, lengthy rituals&formulas, e.t.c Folk magic is almost tge opposite. They both have similarities,  and are just as effective,  but just two different means.

Wicca us a combination of both,  utilusing both folk witchcraft, and also has its ceremonial elements.
Semper Fidelis

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 06:54:01 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;167454
I wouldn't class Chaos magick as "low," but for the rest, it's usually because they're not as elaborate.  "High" magick is mostly ceremonial, utilising elaborate tools, props, big grimoires, lengthy rituals&formulas, e.t.c Folk magic is almost tge opposite. They both have similarities,  and are just as effective,  but just two different means.

Wicca us a combination of both,  utilusing both folk witchcraft, and also has its ceremonial elements.

Oh so it's a ceremonial thing not a description of mood or vibe?
PrincessKLS

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 12:15:30 am »
Quote from: Tom;167453
...Chaos magic is considered low magic? Isn't it actually the bastard love child of 'high' ceremonial magic and philsophy? That is neither high nor low and is instead whatever what it wants to be?

I've actually seen it described as such before, but usually in reference to the practical end - usually sigil magic and the like. It's kinda weird, right?

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 01:05:05 am »
Simple question but also what makes certain magickal paths high?

"High magic" is so-named by the sort of privileged ivory-tower sorts who can expend all their free time and magical work on stuff like making contact with their holy guardian angel and learning dead languages.

They call other sorts of magic "low" because they are the magic of people who need to get shit done, you know, those plebian sorts who work for a bloody living.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 02:07:47 am »

What I picked up, although I can't remember where from, is that the high magic(k)s dealt with deities and cosmic forces whereas low magic(k)s were more about personal power.

Also I think that Catherine MacCoun was pretty comprehensive, in her book On Becoming an Alchemist that described the sort of Hermeticist Alchemical cosmology of there being a concept of the world or movement in it through magic as "vertical" (high) versus "horizontal" (low, although it should probably be righthand lefthand stuff because low is also a vertical designation technically) and, most importantly, why that distinction would be useful to make in the first place. (Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it.)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:09:53 am by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 02:10:15 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;167475
"High magic" is so-named by the sort of privileged ivory-tower sorts who can expend all their free time and magical work on stuff like making contact with their holy guardian angel and learning dead languages.

They call other sorts of magic "low" because they are the magic of people who need to get shit done, you know, those plebian sorts who work for a bloody living.

Oh I see.
PrincessKLS

Elding

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 08:54:53 am »
Quote from: Faemon;167476
What I picked up, although I can't remember where from, is that the high magic(k)s dealt with deities and cosmic forces whereas low magic(k)s were more about personal power.

If so, the person who named it 'low magic' deserves a medal for silliness. There is nothing 'low' in having personal power or working on self accomplishments. Sometimes a low can be found in the motives, but certainly not in the craft in and of itself.. besides, it implies that there is a definitive line between the deities and every day life, and while that is the case for some, it does not apply to all.

I bet that sometime during the revival of neo paganism, someone somewhere figured that 'high' magic was 'real' magic because to them it was new, unexplored and exciting. 'Low' magic never really disappeared from folklore and living superstition, so it's entirely possible that it was simply overlooked because half of it, to a non-practitioner, would look like little more than silly wives tales that crazy old people were up to. So 'low' magic might be considered as a somewhat condescending name if i'm right. I kind of wish it could have a name change to 'daily magic' or something similar, but oh well.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:59:19 am by Elding »
Out in the woods, and I\'m not alone, but the sun\'s quickly going down!
There! In the trees! Something stalking me! Stop walking around!
\'K, just be cool, don\'t be such a fool! There is nothing at all to fear...
... other than the trees and the night and a beam of light, and the breathing in my ear...
[/I]

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheapskatewitch.com
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 03:57:03 pm »

This! Seriously, I don't see one form of magic as better than any other form of magic. Maybe it's the univeralist in me, but I see it is using different methods to get the same result. *shrugs* I personally, I fought a long time against using folk magic because I had some people in my family who abused that type of magic for dark purposes.  

Took me a long time to realize that it wasn't the path itself, but the people who were using that was bad.  I use folk magic, because it's mostly simple and to the point, which I happen to like a lot.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 06:34:23 pm »

Ding ding ding ding  We have a winner.

While high magic is usually more elaborate than low magic as another poster noted, it really all boils down to what Darkhawk said.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 10:10:35 pm »
Quote from: Gigi Kiersten;182671
I personally, I fought a long time against using folk magic because I had some people in my family who abused that type of magic for dark purposes.  

Took me a long time to realize that it wasn't the path itself, but the people who were using that was bad.  I use folk magic, because it's mostly simple and to the point, which I happen to like a lot.

I have come to this realization myself very recently. I don't have family members involved, but I always had the experience of all witchcraft is for evil purposes. People can abuse just about any religion/practice if they put their mind to it, unfortunately.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Gigi Kiersten

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheapskatewitch.com
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 09:31:21 am »
Quote from: ViolaRae;182687
I have come to this realization myself very recently. I don't have family members involved, but I always had the experience of all witchcraft is for evil purposes. People can abuse just about any religion/practice if they put their mind to it, unfortunately.

Yeah, I can understand that.  Especially when you hear all about that anti-witchcraft propaganda in the church. I'm just very glad that you strong enough to overcome that thinking. I've seen plenty of people use and abuse high magick over the years so yeah it's not necessary the path, or religion it's just the people who are bad.

Lionrhod

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lionrhod.com
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 09:10:02 am »

LOL Yup!

In my understanding, "High Magick" refers to anything specifically related to elevating the soul to connect with Source/God/dess/One's "Higher" Self, whereas "low" magick is anything that relates to the practical. And yeah, I too think we should get rid of such distinctions as it reeks of snobbery.

I can't recall who said it, but I remember someone saying, "Low magick is anything that WORKS!"
When given a choice between black and white, choose purple.
SpellCraft Secrets: The Art of Creating Magic Spells Made Easy 2nd edition, revised
Dark Moon Gates - Pagan YA Fantasy
Nenfari - FREE Dark Sword & Sorcery
The Spider\'s Yule Gift - A Children\'s Folktale & Polish Pagan Holiday Traditions
My Website

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Low and high simply refer to effect and causal Magick; where causal Magick is the perfecting of one's soul and effect Magick makes changes in the mental and physical worlds.

Sigil Magick provides a very easy and very quick method to cause change on the lower worlds (mind and matter).
It can also be tailored, crafted, and perfected to cause change on the higher worlds of the soul (will and creativity).

-Wimsaur

Tags: