Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR)  (Read 2180 times)

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR)
« on: December 12, 2014, 01:18:23 pm »
I read this article yesterday, and was totally surprised that an experience I thought of as completely normal is actually rather unusual.

Quote from: BBC News - ASMR: The videos which claim to make their viewers 'tingle'
When I was a child I sometimes experienced a pleasant physical sensation in my scalp when I was especially intrigued or fascinated by something, or when being touched or stroked in certain ways.

The sensation continued into adulthood, but when I tried to explain what I was feeling to other people I was met with baffled looks and a quick change of subject.

Recently I discovered that other people have similar experiences, and that the sensation has a name, ASMR, and tens of thousands of videos dedicated to it.

I don't think I've ever actually discussed this with anyone else; I always figured it happened to everyone. For example, if someone described another person as having a "calming" voice, I imagined they were experiencing the sensation described here as ASMR.

I was disappointed to read that there weren't any scientific studies of this phenomenon, since it really does feel like an autonomic response. I would think it would show up on an EEG or be observable in some other way. I'd like to know more about how it works and why it doesn't happen to everyone. Hopefully the growth of the ASMR internet community will inspire some research.

Does anyone else experience this? (And if you do, and you haven't watched any of the ASMR videos described in the article, go try some! I was amazed at how well they worked on me.)
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Tags: