Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Advice/Guidance Please?  (Read 2487 times)

Mysty

• View Profile
Advice/Guidance Please?
« on: December 05, 2014, 01:46:29 pm »
Hello everyone. I believe that I had a spiritual breakthrough last night and could really use some advice.

For some time now I have described myself as an Agnostic Witch. Remnants of my Roman Catholic upbringing had me very unsure whether or not there were any Gods and/or Goddesses. When I have told this to other Pagan friends, they advised me to research Gods and Goddesses to see if I was drawn to any of them so I did.

Over the past few weeks, I have researched several branches of mythology. Being of Polish descent, I started researching Polish mythology, which from what I read is a combination of many Slavic mythological paths. While interesting, I felt no pull towards any of divine entities that I read about. I switched my focus to Norse mythology. Again, very interesting reading and there was a slight pull, but nothing overwhelming. Then I read about the Norse Goddess Nott whose Greek Goddess counterpart is NYX!

Since the first time I read about the Greek Goddess Nyx years ago I have felt a very strong pull towards her. I wasn’t sure that I believed in her (hence the ‘Agnostic’ label I had placed on myself). Last night I spent hours researching in great detail anything I could find out about Nyx, the primordial Greek Goddess of Night. After researching about the mythology of Nyx, I went to sleep asking her to… I’m not even sure what I was asking, perhaps just a sign that she is my Goddess. I think she answered my question!

In sleep, I dreamt that I was having children. A LOT of children. In the dream, I know that I had just given birth to a female child the night before. I saw the baby in a baby carrier. In the dream I gave birth to two more female children the very next night. One of the newly born girls I remember describing as having cherry blonde hair (as opposed to strawberry blonde). I also remember saying in the dream that I was going to having 6 babies within a week. Yes, SIX.

I know that in dream interpretation that dreaming about pregnancy/childbirth is a sign of change. In this case I believe that the change is spiritual in nature since that was my focus before going to sleep. Would the six children I was supposed to have signify six spiritual changes/revelations? In the dream I already had 3 newborn female children so does that mean 3 changes have already happened? If so, I think I can name the three changes:

1.) I have renewed my dedication to my spiritual path.
2.) I set up a small altar in my bedroom, complete with God and Goddess candle figures (even though I considered myself agnostic)
3.) I am actively trying to connect with the God and Goddess that are right for me

I feel like I’m right on the edge of something wonderfully life-changing. I’m also nervous, though, because I’ve never really felt a strong draw towards any God. I know that I need to repeat the process of researching Gods like I did with finding my Goddess. I also know that some people never find a connection to a God and/or Goddess. My belief in the Goddess Nyx tosses me being agnostic out of the window and I feel that right now while I’m researching that I need a label of some sort, so does this make me Pagan even though I don’t have a specific God that I worship? Any advise/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Blessed Be and thank you for reading my rambling.
 )O(

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: Advice/Guidance Please?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:46:45 am »
Quote from: Mysty;166808
Hello everyone. I believe that I had a spiritual breakthrough last night and could really use some advice.

...My belief in the Goddess Nyx tosses me being agnostic out of the window and I feel that right now while I’m researching that I need a label of some sort, so does this make me Pagan even though I don’t have a specific God that I worship? Any advise/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

)O(

It can make you pagan, yes.  The definition we use on The Cauldron (found here) of pagan religion is that it "...is a religion that is not Jewish, Christian, or Islamic and self-identifies as Pagan."  Using this definition, if you are not a practitioner of an Abrahamic faith and self-identify as pagan, then you are pagan.  The self-identification part is key, however: only you are able to define whether you are pagan or not.  We, as a community, will not give you a label.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:55:39 am »
 )O(

You don't need a god AND goddess to be a pagan or even a religious witch. I believe that is a very specifically Wiccish construct.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

duskwynd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 10:53:52 am »
I know that in dream interpretation that dreaming about pregnancy/childbirth is a sign of change. In this case I believe that the change is spiritual in nature since that was my focus before going to sleep. Would the six children I was supposed to have signify six spiritual changes/revelations? In the dream I already had 3 newborn female children so does that mean 3 changes have already happened? If so, I think I can name the three changes:

I hate dream interpretation books/guides.  I think the important thing here is to understand what pregnancy and childbirth specifically mean to you because the symbolism can be different for different people.  I guarantee you that if *I* were dreaming of pregnancy and childbirth, for example, 'change' is not the meaning I would get for it, because my relationship with the idea is not about change....does that make sense?

I personally do not believe in following rule books or recipes when it comes to  spirituality.  That being said, there are certain guidelines that need to be followed.  Remember (and I'm not suggesting that you feel this way) it's not a game, or a lark and to always approach with respect - the universal currency.

The gods are going to come to you in a way that corresponds with your personal mythology and your relationship with that mythology.  Others might be able to figure it out for you but they might not, because the gods are speaking for YOU to understand, not anyone else.

So, don't stress about the way things 'should be' and go with the way they are.  Maybe you're not ready for more energies right now.  Maybe you don't need them.  I could put a thousand maybes here.... Just go with what is happening now, trust it and watch the magic happen :)

Oh...uhm...but don't think it's going to be all harps and roses.  You're going to be pushed and challenged and some of the changes you might experience will not be comfortable and there is some stuff that might be really attached to (things, people) that you will be called on to let go of.  In retrospect you will be able to look at all this and know that it was necessary....

Anyway... I hope this helps :)
"A true master makes a life, not a living." ~ Unknown

brett

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 12:24:22 am »
Then I read about the Norse Goddess Nott whose Greek Goddess counterpart is NYX!

Since the first time I read about the Greek Goddess Nyx years ago I have felt a very strong pull towards her. I wasn’t sure that I believed in her (hence the ‘Agnostic’ label I had placed on myself). Last night I spent hours researching in great detail anything I could find out about Nyx, the primordial Greek Goddess of Night. After researching about the mythology of Nyx, I went to sleep asking her to… I’m not even sure what I was asking, perhaps just a sign that she is my Goddess. I think she answered my question!

I first discovered Morrigan in the same random way. I was trying to research things that SHOULD have fit me perfectly. Researching my roots, specifically. But Morrigan kept popping up in my searches. And things about her kept clicking, and I kept thinking about her. But I didn't want to accept. I finally learned to.

1.) I have renewed my dedication to my spiritual path.
2.) I set up a small altar in my bedroom, complete with God and Goddess candle figures (even though I considered myself agnostic)
3.) I am actively trying to connect with the God and Goddess that are right for me

I feel like I’m right on the edge of something wonderfully life-changing. I’m also nervous, though, because I’ve never really felt a strong draw towards any God. I know that I need to repeat the process of researching Gods like I did with finding my Goddess. I also know that some people never find a connection to a God and/or Goddess. My belief in the Goddess Nyx tosses me being agnostic out of the window and I feel that right now while I’m researching that I need a label of some sort, so does this make me Pagan even though I don’t have a specific God that I worship? Any advise/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

)O(

I originally  wanted to find the perfect gof/goddess pairing so that I could fit the Wiccan religion perfectly, when one day I finally realized I didn't have to. Talking to Morrigan makes me feel secure. I know she answers me: that's just something I know. Most of my personal, private practices  (religion-wise) are through yoga and meditation. It's just a matter of finding a mix of things that make you feel good. I honestly think as long as you don't hurt anyone or anything, you can alter your practices however you see fit.
Blessed Be, and Namaste.

Pteranotropi

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 08:45:11 am »

You do not need a god and goddess. Most spiritual paths are not dichotomous, only Wicca seriously considers that, and frankly it's a disrespect towards many other paths that do away with duality. Especially traditional european pagan ones.

If you feel the drive towards Nyx, good for you. She herself had a consort in Erebos, the god of darkness, but their relationship seems to be a metaphorical one. Even in historical Nyx worship, there is seldomly any refferences to her having a consistent partner.

Also, I don't think candles are good for a deity associated with shadows and darkness. It may give the wrong idea, since candles are associated with banishing.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:46:47 am by Pteranotropi »

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 09:12:46 am »
Quote from: Pteranotropi;167694
You do not need a god and goddess. Most spiritual paths are not dichotomous, only Wicca seriously considers that, and frankly it's a disrespect towards many other paths that do away with duality. Especially traditional european pagan ones.

To be fair, from my own experience, actual lineaged Wiccans don't generally believe that everyone needs to follow a god and goddess, and they are not disrespectful of paths that don't, they just follow a path that happens to consist of a specific deity pairing
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Pteranotropi

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 01:03:06 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;167696
To be fair, from my own experience, actual lineaged Wiccans don't generally believe that everyone needs to follow a god and goddess, and they are not disrespectful of paths that don't, they just follow a path that happens to consist of a specific deity pairing

Fair enough. Though it is still bothersome that the concept of duality is treated as if it was some universal thing among fluff bunnies.

Tags: