Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Looking for guidance  (Read 4588 times)

sea-salt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Looking for guidance
« on: December 01, 2014, 10:13:59 pm »
Hi everyone! I regret that this is going to sound like a personal ad, but I'm looking for some advice on a new god/ess to connect with for general guidance and life advice. Currently I work with Loki, and he isn't too interested in giving me a lot of advice - or at least not the kind of advice I'm looking for. That's fine with me, but I would like to have some godly perspective in my life. Sort of a "view from above," if you know what I mean.

I'm looking for a god/ess that likes to help people solve internal and external problems, who likes to be an adviser and give guidance, and help their people (worshipers? I know that word doesn't apply to everyone) become better people. And preferably, he/she/they won't mind that I can be a bit slow on the uptake and kind of need my hand held a bit. (I'm an ISTJ; I get frustrated without clear directions and I'm not always confident in my intuition. ...Two of the problems I feel like I need help with.)

Have any of you had experiences with any deities that sound like they could help me with what I'm looking for? And is this a common way to go about looking for a new deity connect with? Loki thwapped me pretty hard so I didn't have to do any searching for him.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for guidance
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 02:45:35 am »
Quote from: sea-salt;166576
Have any of you had experiences with any deities that sound like they could help me with what I'm looking for? And is this a common way to go about looking for a new deity connect with? Loki thwapped me pretty hard so I didn't have to do any searching for him.

Why exactly are you unhappy with Loki, more specifically? Is he just not a fit for you? I don't think an internet forum is going to help you in this situation, because yes - this sounds a bit like a personals ad. :o It's a bad idea to ask people online to play matchmaker for you with other human beings. It's an equally bad idea to ask them to "set you up" with a new god, so to speak.

Being thwapped is pretty rare. Plenty of people never get a peep from the gods they petition. If I were you, I'd actually try and work with Loki a bit on this. It actually seems like a bit of a snub to go looking around for another god when one came right to you!

You might want to try approaching some of Loki's circle? I know Lokeans who honor his wives Sigyn and Angrboda, and his daughter Hela is very popular. From what I've seen, working with the entire family seems to go pretty well.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 05:31:38 am »
Quote from: sea-salt;166576
I'm looking for some advice on a new god/ess to connect with for general guidance and life advice. I'm looking for a god/ess that likes to help people solve internal and external problems, who likes to be an adviser and give guidance, and help their people (worshipers? I know that word doesn't apply to everyone) become better people.

Have any of you had experiences with any deities that sound like they could help me with what I'm looking for? And is this a common way to go about looking for a new deity connect with?

Final question first: I have seen similar threads like this asking for which path is best given so-and-so leanings, or what deity might be thwapping given so-and-so symbolic associations, or what deity would be best to approach for...more specific parameters than what you've listed, much more specific. But it is, from what I've seen, common to ask around for a new deity to connect with.

In my opinion (of course, reserve your right to your own) every deity that thwaps, or every deity one feels drawn to in whatever aspect, and most events in life--are all opportunities to to self-examine, to hone instincts, and define personal values by which to do better in the future.

(Generally, you seem to have an idea for what you're seeking, which is good, but the way it's described gets me thinking that almost any deity can fulfill that role...including Loki.)

But anyway:

Supposedly Yahweh has the perspective and plans for everybody, but I don't know...I think I have some sort of allergy to the glory cloud found in most churches, the philosophy might be sound enough for people with compatible temperaments but it was personally damaging to me, and my life just got a whole lot better after I sacked my guardian angels.

So, I wouldn't hang my hopes on any ultimate, absolute objectivity when it comes to personal development, advice, guidance, and solutions. I consider those quite contextual.

Manannan mac Lir had his own sort of advice and guidance that I considered quite wise, Loki has offered enacted particularly dramatic solutions like seriously does ol' flame-hair ever thwap anybody gently or what, I've also had experiences with the Lady of Shalott whose story has helped me grow in peculiar ways but I don't know if that counts as divinity as I haven't met her but just the presence of the notion of this psychopomp type has been helpful to consider during tough times, and there's this no-name no-mythology entity who first appeared to me as Captain Hook and I now consider a sort of Jungian Animus--and working with my Jungian Shadows has done wonders for my personal clarity. (I mean, as much clarity as you can expect from someone whose pantheon includes the Lady of Shalott and Captain Hook.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 05:34:12 am by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

sea-salt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 09:58:14 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;166594
Why exactly are you unhappy with Loki, more specifically? Is he just not a fit for you? I don't think an internet forum is going to help you in this situation, because yes - this sounds a bit like a personals ad. :o It's a bad idea to ask people online to play matchmaker for you with other human beings. It's an equally bad idea to ask them to "set you up" with a new god, so to speak.

Being thwapped is pretty rare. Plenty of people never get a peep from the gods they petition. If I were you, I'd actually try and work with Loki a bit on this. It actually seems like a bit of a snub to go looking around for another god when one came right to you!

You might want to try approaching some of Loki's circle? I know Lokeans who honor his wives Sigyn and Angrboda, and his daughter Hela is very popular. From what I've seen, working with the entire family seems to go pretty well.

Oh, I'm not unhappy with Loki at all! I've just gotten some very clear signals from him that he isn't interested in playing the constant advice-giver that I feel like I need. Seems he'd prefer me to figure things out on my own, but that hasn't been going very well recently - which is why I'm looking for advice elsewhere. I'm still working with him but I feel like I'm bothering him when I keep asking for help; maybe we'll have a different kind of relationship in the future, but it doesn't seem like he wants to do that right now. (Or he's just refusing to do it because he wants me to be more self-sufficient.)

I did ask him if he'd prefer me to seek advice from someone else, and I got a clear yes. But I do appreciate what you're saying about this seeming like a snub. That wasn't my intention at all, and I may have jumped the gun a bit with this post because I was feeling pretty lost and frustrated last night. I think I wrongly expected things to be easier because I got thwapped. (Thwapping only seems to make things more complicated, from what I've read here.)

Anyway, I appreciate your advice and I will definitely try to get in touch with some other Lokeans. Like I said, I'm continuing to work with Loki, but I'm certainly not going to ask him to do something he doesn't want to.

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 10:14:47 am »
Quote from: sea-salt;166610
I did ask him if he'd prefer me to seek advice from someone else, and I got a clear yes. But I do appreciate what you're saying about this seeming like a snub. That wasn't my intention at all, and I may have jumped the gun a bit with this post because I was feeling pretty lost and frustrated last night. I think I wrongly expected things to be easier because I got thwapped. (Thwapping only seems to make things more complicated, from what I've read here.)

I do have a question. Did he say that advice had to come from another deity? Or are you asking for someone that helps without you asking?

sea-salt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 10:23:07 am »
Quote from: Faemon;166597
Final question first: I have seen similar threads like this asking for which path is best given so-and-so leanings, or what deity might be thwapping given so-and-so symbolic associations, or what deity would be best to approach for...more specific parameters than what you've listed, much more specific. But it is, from what I've seen, common to ask around for a new deity to connect with.

In my opinion (of course, reserve your right to your own) every deity that thwaps, or every deity one feels drawn to in whatever aspect, and most events in life--are all opportunities to to self-examine, to hone instincts, and define personal values by which to do better in the future.

(Generally, you seem to have an idea for what you're seeking, which is good, but the way it's described gets me thinking that almost any deity can fulfill that role...including Loki.)

But anyway:

Supposedly Yahweh has the perspective and plans for everybody, but I don't know...I think I have some sort of allergy to the glory cloud found in most churches, the philosophy might be sound enough for people with compatible temperaments but it was personally damaging to me, and my life just got a whole lot better after I sacked my guardian angels.

So, I wouldn't hang my hopes on any ultimate, absolute objectivity when it comes to personal development, advice, guidance, and solutions. I consider those quite contextual.

Manannan mac Lir had his own sort of advice and guidance that I considered quite wise, Loki has offered enacted particularly dramatic solutions like seriously does ol' flame-hair ever thwap anybody gently or what, I've also had experiences with the Lady of Shalott whose story has helped me grow in peculiar ways but I don't know if that counts as divinity as I haven't met her but just the presence of the notion of this psychopomp type has been helpful to consider during tough times, and there's this no-name no-mythology entity who first appeared to me as Captain Hook and I now consider a sort of Jungian Animus--and working with my Jungian Shadows has done wonders for my personal clarity. (I mean, as much clarity as you can expect from someone whose pantheon includes the Lady of Shalott and Captain Hook.)

Thanks for the advice! The more I thought about this after I posted it, I realized that I was being really, really vague - and when I searched around the threads I really noticed how many people got what I'm looking for from just about every deity in existence. I elaborated on this a bit more in my reply to Redfaery, but I think I might have made this post a little too hastily because I was feeling lost and frustrated last night.

As an ex-Catholic, I don't think it would be best to work with Yahweh. (And as an ex-Catholic, maybe that's why I feel like I need a "BFF/personal life coach" deity in my life. Hmm. I may have just had a breakthrough!)

Yeah, Loki all but slapped me in the face with my own tarot cards - twice! - when I finally recognized that it was him. He has given me plenty of advice and guidance, and so far all of it has been spot-on, but I definitely get the sense that my constant questions make him either laugh and roll his eyes at me or just sort of sigh in exasperation because I need my hand held so much. I definitely get the sense that he doesn't want to play the "personal life coach" role right now, but he's more interested in the "BFF" role. That's fantastic, and I really am trying to always think of this relationship like I would think of a friend - like how real friendship isn't built on one person serving the other person's needs - but it's hard to get used to after almost a year of honoring other deities and getting no responses at all. (Or at least no responses I could pick up on.)

I'm not familiar with Jungian Shadows. Could you tell me where to look for more information on those?

sea-salt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 10:24:47 am »
Quote from: Tom;166612
I do have a question. Did he say that advice had to come from another deity? Or are you asking for someone that helps without you asking?

I specifically asked if he would prefer me to seek advice and guidance from another deity, and he said yes.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 04:54:35 pm »
Quote from: sea-salt;166613
I'm not familiar with Jungian Shadows. Could you tell me where to look for more information on those?

Since you mentioned being a tarot fan, I've heard some great things about Christine Jette's Tarot Shadow Work.

I actually can't name a singular resource that's all about the Jungian shadow other than Wikipedia. I guess I picked it up from osmosis. TheFourQueens on YouTube and Duskenpath on blogspot writes some great articles about it.

In my experience, shadow work runs the gamut between conceptual, like journaling until I realize that I've been projecting some vice onto somebody else...and sort of more numinous, like seeing a shadow that is actually there but seems to be a part and apart of oneself as autonomous as a deity which can be a little scary.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Nikoma

• View Profile
    • http://www.RavensWyrd.com
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 07:23:25 am »
One of my Patrons is Persephone. She gave me a lot of guidance while I worked through my own shadow. I found her both wise and comforting.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 03:05:03 pm »
Quote from: Nikoma;166684
One of my Patrons is Persephone. She gave me a lot of guidance while I worked through my own shadow. I found her both wise and comforting.

A Reminder:
Hi Nikoma,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

veggiewolf, TC Staff
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

sea-salt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 08:03:58 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;166651
Since you mentioned being a tarot fan, I've heard some great things about Christine Jette's Tarot Shadow Work.

I actually can't name a singular resource that's all about the Jungian shadow other than Wikipedia. I guess I picked it up from osmosis. TheFourQueens on YouTube and Duskenpath on blogspot writes some great articles about it.

In my experience, shadow work runs the gamut between conceptual, like journaling until I realize that I've been projecting some vice onto somebody else...and sort of more numinous, like seeing a shadow that is actually there but seems to be a part and apart of oneself as autonomous as a deity which can be a little scary.

Thanks for the info! I've actually watched some of TheFourQueens' videos on tarot, so I know who she is. This sounds like something that might be helpful for me to try.

I also came to the realization that I misunderstood what Loki was trying to tell me when I asked "would you prefer it if I go to another deity for advice." His "yes" wasn't telling me to get help elsewhere, it was telling me "if you want the easy answers you're looking for, ask someone else because I'm not going to give them to you." And I realize that I WAS expecting easy answers, and I only hoped to hear what I wanted to hear.

After I posted this, Loki made it much more clear that he wants me to figure out what my real problems are on my own before I come back to him for advice. So it's not that he doesn't want to give me guidance, he just wants me to do some soul-searching alone first. So this all makes much more sense now, and I'm feeling a lot better about things.

Tags: