collapse

Author Topic: Finding your path  (Read 4094 times)

Lokison

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Finding your path
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 07:45:33 pm »
Quote from: Jack;167040
Nietzche is many things but I wouldn't think of him a solid foundation in this context. Why would you recommend philosophy over mythology or theology?

Philosophy doesn't require a belief in anything, its a state of mind.  Mythology/Theology does.  If someone has a shift in beliefs, then they have to start over, many times from scratch.  If they based their core upon a solid philosophical foundation, it will weather whatever changes come their way, mundanely or otherwise.  The allegory of the cave comes to mind as an explanation as well.  I can post it if you are unfamiliar with it.

Why do you not consider Nietzsche a solid foundation?  Who would you consider?
My beliefs are my own.  I do not speak for anyone else.  It is my personal perspective.  
I am not the Way or the Truth.  No Man or Woman can reach their God/dess through me.

When people ask me, "What give you the right to suggest standards for others?",
my answer is, "If I don\'t, someone else, perhaps less qualified, will."
History has proven that qualification is based on acceptance. The end justifies the means. - LaVey

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 07:54:18 pm »
Quote from: Lokison;167045
Philosophy doesn't require a belief in anything, its a state of mind.  Mythology/Theology does.  If someone has a shift in beliefs, then they have to start over, many times from scratch.  If they based their core upon a solid philosophical foundation, it will weather whatever changes come their way, mundanely or otherwise.  The allegory of the cave comes to mind as an explanation as well.  I can post it if you are unfamiliar with it.

Why do you not consider Nietzsche a solid foundation?  Who would you consider?

Mythology does not require a belief in anything either, just an understanding of the purpose of stories.  (which is not to say that people shouldn't believe myths, just they don't have to for them to be important)

of course there's also a discussion here of what is meant by "belief"

Also people change philosophical beliefs as well, lots of people do not live by the same philosophy their whole lives.
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 08:52:10 pm »
Quote from: Lokison;167045
Why do you not consider Nietzsche a solid foundation?

I think it seems a little "when you have a hammer, every problem looks like Loki" to recommend Nietzsche or philosophy at all when the OP explicitly expressed an interested in spirit worlds and lands of the dead. That's why I asked you to expound on your reasoning. Those concepts are generally found in... mythology and theology, where they are in fact discussed in great detail. Jung, sure, Jung could be interesting if the OP is going in a comparative religion direction - and OP, if you're looking to synthesize all the reading you've already done, that's not a bad idea, though I wouldn't take it to the metamyth endpoint, just as a way to sort everything out - but most philosophy is fairly uninterested in "systems and gods to work with" except as they serve the philosophy. Plato referred to god but didn't have much interest in the details of the Elysian fields or how shades got to the river Styx.

I love the metaphor of the cave! It's super for discussing why you can believe lots of different things and changing belief or systems doesn't have to cause the floor to fall out from under you. But it's still not what I would consider a system unto itself.

One of my favorite things about chaos magic is that belief is fluid and flexible - believing five impossible things before breakfast and all. It's good practice! My chaos practice was built on tons of mythology and theology because I took what worked and believed what I needed to accomplish what needed accomplishing. In regard to the OP's question, my idea of a chaos approach to psychopompery would be to study as many different afterlives as possible, as well as various cultures' approaches to putting souls to rest and probably exorcism.

So OP, my reading suggestion would be 'everything' but not just for the hell of it - look for the elements that jump out at you as "clicking" and take notes, figure out what is relevant to what you're already doing, what gods or spirits jump out as pinging you, etc. Figure out what's already worked for you and what those things have in common. Basically find out what's relevant to you and then look for things that'll complement that.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:53:56 pm by Jack »
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Lokison

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 08:42:37 am »
Quote from: Jake_;167046
Mythology does not require a belief in anything either, just an understanding of the purpose of stories.  (which is not to say that people shouldn't believe myths, just they don't have to for them to be important)

Very true.  Myths are full of the archetypes that Jung described and based his theories upon.  Personally, while I like the stories, I was always the one asking "why".  Which is why my foundation was based aroundf psychology/philosophy vs mythology/theology.

of course there's also a discussion here of what is meant by "belief"

"There are no facts, only interpretations." - Nietzsche

Also people change philosophical beliefs as well, lots of people do not live by the same philosophy their whole lives.

Up to a certain point you have an ongoing evolution, yes.  But I also believe that you have a core set of philosophical beliefs that you start with, perhaps from an event early in your life.  For an example, as a child I would not study for tests, I would just pray for God to give me the knowledge, like he did for Solomon.  My mom finally sat me down and told me "God helps those that help themselves".  I was 5 or 6 at the time.  30+ years later I still remember that.  It has shaped my direction and my core beliefs are centered around that.
My beliefs are my own.  I do not speak for anyone else.  It is my personal perspective.  
I am not the Way or the Truth.  No Man or Woman can reach their God/dess through me.

History has proven that qualification is based on acceptance. The end justifies the means. - LaVey

Lokison

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 09:08:40 am »
Quote from: Jack;167047
to recommend Nietzsche or philosophy at all when the OP explicitly expressed an interested in spirit worlds and lands of the dead.  That's why I asked you to expound on your reasoning.  

My apologies, I figured you would be familiar with the topics of death within those that I mentioned.  And I wasn't going to tell the OP what to glean from those authors but to chose for themselves.

Nietzsche is very fatalistic.  I can think of a number of quotes, although my favorite is this one "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."  Dealing with deities of the dead, you need a strong foundation.  Having dealt with my Namesake's daughter on a few occasions, I can attest to that fact.

Jung as comparative religion?  Please tell me how you came to that conclusion for the OP.  My suggestion for Jung is the fact that he uses an archetype basis, and Death is one of those.  Jung is also considered my many 'critics' to be more metaphysical/spiritual than psychology.  "There is Death, the archetypal experience found in all cultures and experienced by all life forms. Imagistically, this form is often depicted as a skeleton in black, with a scythe: the “Grim Reaper.” Then there is death as transition, the form recognized in the ancient wisdom of many cultures (Egyptian, Tibetan, the kabbalah of Jewish mysticism, etc.)." - from the below link

http://jungiancenter.org/essay/forms-and-value-death

Those concepts are generally found in... mythology and theology, where they are in fact discussed in great detail.

"Generally found".  They are discussed about in all cultures as well.  Thus my suggestion for Jung and archetypes.  For Nietzsche and his fatalism.  Mythology/theology/psychology/philosophy all require faith and belief.  Some truths will leak through no matter what, but that is up to the individual to discover.

But it's still not what I would consider a system unto itself.

Why not?  It describes ones evolution in beliefs as well as all other experiences.  How I used too practice magic was a prime example of being chained to a wall and viewing what others said was the 'right way'.

Tags: