Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Masonic Initiation and Questions  (Read 4980 times)

OctoberCross

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://the-crossroads.info
Masonic Initiation and Questions
« on: November 29, 2014, 03:20:37 pm »
My maternal family was very involved in Masonry and the Eastern Star, and my husband has been interested in joining a lodge.  Unfortunately my grandfather died when I was very young, and while we have one acquaintance who is a Mason, I wanted to dig around a little on my husband's behalf before he approached said acquaintance.

I know (at least traditionally) that Masonry is extended only from person to person, and that there are things they are Oathbound not to discuss.  What it boils down to, I guess, is that my husband is interested in the fraternity aspects, but is unsure of what else might be expected of him?

While I have Googled, it's difficult to weed out any information on the traditional lodge--I know that there are some Masonic-style groups set up that do things like have open joining or even let women join, and then there are lots of conspiracy things.

It's especially important because my grandfather was very involved, and my mother would like to pass on his Mason ring if my husband joins.

Is it just expected that you would want to join out of faith, with no further concrete information?  If said acquaintance is unavailable for my husband to speak to, is there any way to be put in contact with a Mason?
If I wake in the morning I only need two more miracles to be a saint.

Choosing the Crossroads

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
Re: Masonic Initiation and Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 11:04:01 pm »
Quote from: OctoberCross;166399

Hello there, I'm a Mason, and I can help.  First your husband should seek out the closest lodge and find out when they meet.  The Grand Lodge of TX website has a lodge locator.  Many lodges have websites or FB pages.  If not, most lodge phone numbers are also in the old yellow book.  Look under Masonic Lodges or Fraternal Orgs.
Stated meeting nights often have a meal before business, and it's a good opportunity to get to know the men before asking for a petition.  

What it boils down to, I guess, is that my husband is interested in the fraternity aspects, but is unsure of what else might be expected of him?

First expectation is regular attendance.  

The initiation process can be lengthy.  First, a candidate has to apply.  The petition is voted and approved by the lodge, after which comes an investigation period over the next 30 days.  During this time he'll be interviewed by various members, who'll also want to meet you, as nothing happens without your say-so.  There might also be background check.  We don't admit felons.  Oh, and sorry, no atheists.
Then they ballot on you the next meeting.  The ballot must be unanimous.  Once that happens, they'll get in touch with your husband to schedule his first degree.  
As to what is to be expected, first thing is regular attendance.  The initiation is split up into three separate ritual dramas, or 'degrees'.  As part of the initiation process he'll be required to commit a portion of these to memory.  Yes, he will be tested.  

While I have Googled, it's difficult to weed out any information on the traditional lodge--I know that there are some Masonic-style groups set up that do things like have open joining or even let women join, and then there are lots of conspiracy things.
Yep, there are co-masonic, and even women-only orders, but they've never been as popular here in the States as male-only Masonry.  There are also bogus groups.  Follow the GL of TX link above, they're legit.  
As to the conspiracy things: they're all true.  
KIDDING.  This is the internet, remember?

Anything else, feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:27:18 pm by SunflowerP »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

OctoberCross

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 03:07:36 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;166458
Hello there, I'm a Mason, and I can help.  First your husband should seek out the closest lodge and find out when they meet.  The Grand Lodge of TX website has a lodge locator.

Thank you so much.  My husband read your reply, and you also have his immense thanks.  You answered many of his questions, and the website you linked to caught the balance.  He's even more interested now than before, and feels much more easy about the general nature of Masonry.

Quote from: MadZealot;166458
As to the conspiracy things: they're all true.  
KIDDING.  This is the internet, remember?

Anything else, feel free to ask.

(The acquaintance I mentioned, though years ago, was less than informative, possibly just to make things more mysterious.  He mostly made things sound more shady.  Neither I or my husband put much stock in conspiracy theories, but Masonry is an internet favorite for finding them.)

Again, thank you so much.  I suppose my only other question is personal to me: will my paganism affect any of the process?

Choosing the Crossroads

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 06:34:17 am »
Quote from: OctoberCross;166471
will my paganism affect any of the process?

Doubtful.  My own beliefs have never affected mine.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 06:48:09 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;166477
Doubtful.  My own beliefs have never affected mine.

Nor mine.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 06:53:33 am »
Quote from: OctoberCross;166471
I suppose my only other question is personal to me: will my paganism affect any of the process?

I'd have to agree that it's very doubtful,  and there's no reason why it should. I'm also a Mason,  and happen to be pagan, along with a few other friends,  and we've all been just fine ;)
Semper Fidelis

OctoberCross

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 11:28:51 am »
Quote from: Micheál;166479
I'd have to agree that it's very doubtful,  and there's no reason why it should. I'm also a Mason,  and happen to be pagan, along with a few other friends,  and we've all been just fine ;)

Thank you all for your responses.  :)  Good to know it won't be a problem.

(And even though it isn't me thinking of joining, I'm quite excited about it.)

Choosing the Crossroads

Tags: