Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Ferguson: The Political Discussion  (Read 28847 times)

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ferguson
« Reply #195 on: December 23, 2014, 06:01:06 am »
Quote from: Altair;168049
Unfortunately, the deranged person who shot two NYPD officers execution style, on top of taking two New Yorkers' lives, has knocked the whole racial justice movement on its heels, at least here in NYC--just when we seemed to be making some headway.

Hopefully in Ferguson, they can still make reforms happen.

It's also knocked De Blasio on his heels.  Change.org has a large petition for him to resign over his earlier statements. He's already lost the police's support - remains to be seen how that plays out.  

Nor does it help that "All Lives Matter" was squashed by "Black Lives Matter".  It went from what was potentially a movement to reform police practices to one that is only concerned about police interaction with Blacks.  It's in line with Minniapolis-St Paul's new policy on school discipline - teachers and principals will be held accountable if more Blacks are disciplined than non-Blacks.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 23, 2014, 06:15:15 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;168042
An important update on the grand jury trial of Darren Wilson:

Source: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/12/21/3606084/how-a-startling-admission-from-the-ferguson-prosector-could-restart-the-case-against-darren-wilson/

Well, the FBI was apparently also lied to according to the radio interview.  I guess we could get the DA and or the FBI to go with perjury charges against all the grand jury witnesses that lied and lying to a Federal officer for those who lied to the FBI.  Aside from the bi-polar woman, we could go after Brown's friend who lied about the theft of the cigarellos that lots of people said never happened.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2014, 09:46:48 am »
Quote from: Altair;168049
Unfortunately, the deranged person who shot two NYPD officers execution style, on top of taking two New Yorkers' lives, has knocked the whole racial justice movement on its heels, at least here in NYC--just when we seemed to be making some headway.

Hopefully in Ferguson, they can still make reforms happen.
I'm furious. The dude who shot the two cops was not motivated by justice. I doubt he even really cared about avenging Eric Garner.

He was wanted for shooting his pregnant girlfriend in the belly. He was likely due to spend the next 20 years in prison. That's a miserable way to go out. This guy didn't want to make a difference. He wanted to make some kind of sick, macho statement. He wanted to be remembered as something other than an abusive scumbag.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2014, 11:18:36 am »
Quote from: Altair;168058
But the shift in the political climate and in public perceptions as a result of the murders of the two cops makes the push for police reforms, which was growing quite strong, a much more difficult course to navigate.

Agreed.  Even "conservatives" were starting to acknowledge the problem of police abuse-- which, since they pay lip service to being against big government, should have been on their radar all along.  But now with two dead cops, they're all huddling behind that thin blue line.  
I've not-so-politely told a few that they're supporting the enforcement arm of the nanny state.  Didn't get many lulz.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:19:00 am by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2015, 04:08:15 pm »
Quote from: Altair;166330
(I've been asking myself for days where all these people calling for a calm, peaceful response were *before* Mike Brown and Akai Gurley and Tamir Rice got not-so-calmly-and-not-so-peacefully blown away)

New on Tamir Rice:

Police Gave Boy No Aid After Shooting in Cleveland

"The two Cleveland police officers involved in the fatal shooting of Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old boy who was carrying a pellet gun, stood by without rendering medical aid as the boy lay wounded next to their patrol car, a newly released extended surveillance video shows.

"Then, about a minute and a half after one officer had shot Tamir, the other officer tackled the boy’s 14-year-old sister as she tried to reach her brother."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/09/us/police-in-cleveland-boys-fatal-shooting-did-not-give-medical-aid.html

Oh well. But after all, it was just a little n*gger kid.

I hope these two cops rot in hell.

The other thing I have to say isn't fit for this forum. And people wonder why the black community is seething about police conduct.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2015, 08:35:03 pm »
Quote from: Altair;169188
New on Tamir Rice:

Police Gave Boy No Aid After Shooting in Cleveland

The use of disproportionate force, applied disproportionately against people of color, is disturbing and enraging.

The withholding of medical aid afterwards is vile and depraved.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2015, 10:11:28 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;169196
The use of disproportionate force, applied disproportionately against people of color, is disturbing and enraging.

The withholding of medical aid afterwards is vile and depraved.

Sunflower

It's hideous enough to shoot a child in the stomach without provocation, but surely once they got close enough to realize that they'd just shot an unarmed child with a toy and not a big menacing 20-something with a gun, as they'd initially claimed he was, the human thing to do would be to at least attempt to render aid, or allow someone else to render aid.  Instead they withheld medical aid, prevented others from providing it, and jumped that poor child's sister so they could lock her up like a criminal for no reason at all.  That, and holding back Rice's mother, forcing her to choose to be with only one of her brutalized children, and treating her like a criminal, too.

I don't hesitate to call this behavior--especially while in the public service and trust as an officer of the law--evil, period.  I also don't hesitate to call endorsement and protection of this behavior an evil, too.  I just wish it was unusual, or surprising, rather than routine.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:12:02 pm by Valentine »
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2015, 11:22:12 pm »
Quote from: Valentine;169203
I don't hesitate to call this behavior--especially while in the public service and trust as an officer of the law--evil, period.  I also don't hesitate to call endorsement and protection of this behavior an evil, too.  I just wish it was unusual, or surprising, rather than routine.

If my post read like hesitation to call these deeds evil, it wasn't, it was just that I wanted more words. But I can see how it might have come across that way - indeed, I am as a rule one of those who is not quick to deem things evil. Not this time, though; this shit is truly evil.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #203 on: January 11, 2015, 12:25:09 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;169205
If my post read like hesitation to call these deeds evil, it wasn't, it was just that I wanted more words. But I can see how it might have come across that way - indeed, I am as a rule one of those who is not quick to deem things evil. Not this time, though; this shit is truly evil.

Sunflower

Not at all!  I was just chiming in in agreement.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #204 on: March 15, 2017, 06:01:46 pm »
Quote from: Valentine;169206

Just tagging on to end of thread with a relevant bump:

So, there was the whole reveal of the film that proves that the theft lie was in fact a lie, so maybe people are listening to the store owner about the theft lie being a lie, and then this:

http://www.theroot.com/everything-you-think-you-know-about-the-death-of-mike-b-1793261221

I mean, the whole, "We all believed this version" line in this rendition is sort of infuriating, since not everyone fell for the line of bullshit. But now we have the cop's original testimony to look at, and while there are obviously possible differences in interpretation (the updated article goes into that) there's still some straight up "he admitted to WHAT" in there.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #205 on: March 16, 2017, 08:38:51 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;203753
Just tagging on to end of thread with a relevant bump:

So, there was the whole reveal of the film that proves that the theft lie was in fact a lie, so maybe people are listening to the store owner about the theft lie being a lie, and then this:

http://www.theroot.com/everything-you-think-you-know-about-the-death-of-mike-b-1793261221

I mean, the whole, "We all believed this version" line in this rendition is sort of infuriating, since not everyone fell for the line of bullshit. But now we have the cop's original testimony to look at, and while there are obviously possible differences in interpretation (the updated article goes into that) there's still some straight up "he admitted to WHAT" in there.

I haven't heard about this. It just jumped to the top of my reading list.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs