Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Cybele, Magan Mater wins property tax exemption case  (Read 1715 times)

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Cybele, Magan Mater wins property tax exemption case
« on: November 23, 2014, 08:37:44 am »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/11/21/in-the-matter-of-maetreum-of-cybele-magna-mater-inc/

Petitioner, a not-for-profit religious corporation that owns real property in the Town of Catskill, commenced proceedings pursuant to CPLR article 78 and RPTL article 7 after respondent Board of Assessment and Review for the Town refused petitioner’s 2009, 2010 and 2011 applications for tax-exempt status pursuant to RPTL 420-a. Under that provision, real [*2]property owned by a corporation that is “organized and conducted exclusively” for charitable and/or religious purposes, if “used exclusively” for such purposes, “shall be exempt from taxation” (RPTL 420-a [1] [a]).

At first glance it should have been a slam dunk since the town didn't offer any contrary witnesses or exhibits.  It looks like a nunnery, quacks like a nunnery, it's exempt like a nunnery.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Cybele, Magan Mater wins property tax exemption case
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 08:39:22 pm »
Quote from: sailor;165968
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/11/21/in-the-matter-of-maetreum-of-cybele-magna-mater-inc/

At first glance it should have been a slam dunk since the town didn't offer any contrary witnesses or exhibits.  It looks like a nunnery, quacks like a nunnery, it's exempt like a nunnery.

Good for them. I haven't been following this closely, but I'd read a bit about the conflict--probably on the Wild Hunt site.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 12:24:31 am »
Quote from: Altair;166063
Good for them. I haven't been following this closely, but I'd read a bit about the conflict--probably on the Wild Hunt site.

Yes, TWH has been covering this pretty thoroughly from, if not the beginning, pretty close to it - here is their archive of all articles tagged 'Matreum of Cybele', for those who want to get up to speed or refresh their memories. I (and TWH) agree with Sailor :eek:, it should have been a slam-dunk, and long before/at lower levels than this; it looks as if the Town of Catskill was betting not so much on winning based on evidence, but on the Matreum running out of money and having to capitulate.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 07:34:14 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;166076
Yes, TWH has been covering this pretty thoroughly from, if not the beginning, pretty close to it - here is their archive of all articles tagged 'Matreum of Cybele', for those who want to get up to speed or refresh their memories. I (and TWH) agree with Sailor :eek:, it should have been a slam-dunk, and long before/at lower levels than this; it looks as if the Town of Catskill was betting not so much on winning based on evidence, but on the Matreum running out of money and having to capitulate.

Sunflower

If Cybele can reasonably show that the town was acting to run the group outof money for the case then the town should be required to pay the group's legal fees.  As evidence that the town wasn't serious about winning the case by legal / legit means, I point to the Volokh article where the town presented no evidence or witnesses to support it's side.

That having been said, any new small group is going to look like they might be trying to pull a fast one by turning over their group owned home to a religious group that they control. A Catholic nunnery isn't going to raise any eyes since the larger Diosces owns the property, not the new religious group that is run by the half dozen members who used to own the property and continue to live there.  

The IRS went after the Universal Life Church over people turning their homes over to their own church and then trying to claim everything as a religious deduction. Hoperfully the cybele order is being smarter than that.

At sea now, so I'll look at Sunflower's links when I get home for vacation in a few months.

Tags: