Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Roadwork  (Read 4862 times)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Roadwork
« on: November 22, 2014, 04:37:03 pm »
So this is just me generally updating about Roadwork or Road Whispering or whatever with the entities that I'm apparently supposed to work with. :whis: Hope you guys don't mind.

Um, three entities have made themselves known to me as of yet:

Route 66: (I've also started calling him Mr. 66). Older African-American man, has a penchant for snark and Johnny Cash. He's very down-to-earth and his territory is linked to here.

That's not to say there aren't any other spirits of place in those areas. He just seems to enjoy being over there and there are some places he would never go. **shrug**

The Road: The Road is more mystic-y than Mr. 66. The energy seems to hang thick in places with roads going through mountains and trees with mist clinging to them and rain spattering everywhere. The Road is also more androgynous than Mr. 66 and doesn't have a specific form that I can puzzle out. They seem to evolve with time but will always enjoy AC/DC.

The Rider: I haven't figured out much about The Rider except that they ride a Black Harley Sportster, or something that looks a lot like it. They're aggressive and kinda fun, and might keep a knife in their boot.

There are probably more entities than this. I just haven't figured this out yet.

There's a magical system that goes along with this that I'm trying to work out too. :eek: It's not developed enough to post anything about it.

Feel free to bounce stuff off me because I honestly have no idea what I'm doing.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 04:39:27 pm by HarpingHawke »
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Roadwork
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:24:56 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;165900
Feel free to bounce stuff off me because I honestly have no idea what I'm doing.

Don't read the road signs. :ange:
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:19:25 am »
So this is just me generally updating about Roadwork or Road Whispering or whatever with the entities that I'm apparently supposed to work with. :whis: Hope you guys don't mind.

Not minding at all, since I do think you're on to something interesting here.

The Road: The Road is more mystic-y than Mr. 66. The energy seems to hang thick in places with roads going through mountains and trees with mist clinging to them and rain spattering everywhere. The Road is also more androgynous than Mr. 66 and doesn't have a specific form that I can puzzle out. They seem to evolve with time but will always enjoy AC/DC.

(emphasis mine)   Your description brought to mind The Tail of The Dragon, which may just be the embodiment of what you're talking about here.  It's one of those places that demands respect and tends to take a bite out of those who don't give it.  

The Rider: I haven't figured out much about The Rider except that they ride a Black Harley Sportster, or something that looks a lot like it. They're aggressive and kinda fun, and might keep a knife in their boot.

This one I think I know... or at least who he hangs with. I suspect that Death no longer rides a pale horse, more likely a chrome and shiny black beast of the 1600+cc variety.  

My random thoughts and UPG on this one... My impression is that the Rider is a threshold entity - a ferryman who navigates a river of asphalt.  If not Death itself, then definitely on Death's payroll.  He's one to encourage risk and daredevil behavior... just one more drink or a little more speed.  He revels in road rage, adrenaline, and blood/fuel spilled, but is very good at coming across as a wild and crazy buddy who's just out to have a little fun.  While he demands a sacrifice, he can be persuaded to take a machine in lieu of a human for that purpose, particularly if the machine is a good one.  Interesting guy who can sometimes be bargained with (although I wouldn't make a practice of it).

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 04:48:13 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;165973
Not minding at all, since I do think you're on to something interesting here.

:o Glad you think so.

(emphasis mine)   Your description brought to mind The Tail of The Dragon, which may just be the embodiment of what you're talking about here.  It's one of those places that demands respect and tends to take a bite out of those who don't give it.  

Hmm. I was actually thinking more of the Avenue of the Giants up in Humboldt, but that's definitely something to think about.

This one I think I know... or at least who he hangs with. I suspect that Death no longer rides a pale horse, more likely a chrome and shiny black beast of the 1600+cc variety.  

My random thoughts and UPG on this one... My impression is that the Rider is a threshold entity - a ferryman who navigates a river of asphalt.  If not Death itself, then definitely on Death's payroll.  He's one to encourage risk and daredevil behavior... just one more drink or a little more speed.  He revels in road rage, adrenaline, and blood/fuel spilled, but is very good at coming across as a wild and crazy buddy who's just out to have a little fun.  While he demands a sacrifice, he can be persuaded to take a machine in lieu of a human for that purpose, particularly if the machine is a good one.  Interesting guy who can sometimes be bargained with (although I wouldn't make a practice of it).

So you've encountered him before? I can definitely see this being a thing.

The threshold part definitely resonates strongly with the little I've encountered of him.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Oaksworn

• Journeyman
  • Reality is but perception.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Energy worker, Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 05:23:48 pm »

This is so cool!

Ok, so a couple of thoughts inspired by your descriptions:

I caught that you're in Northern CA.  It's a big place but if you've ever had, or ever get, the chance you may want to check out Skyline Blvd / Route 35.  I grew up in that general area, part of my drivers education was driving Skyline to learn better steering control.  It's a fun, two-lane, mountain road that runs along the ridge of the Santa Cruz mountains.  It's well known for high speed mortocycle runs.  So well known, in fact, that the CHP uses helicopters to track speed enthusiasts as they break the speed limit and cross the double yellow line putting other travellers at risk.  Seems to be a location The Rider would find quite comfortable.  There's even a bar up there where mortorcycle riders like to hang out.

For awhile I lived off of Summit Road, it's the extension of Skyline Blvd as the road crosses Hwy 17.  One of my favorite times to drive Summit north towards 17 was on my way to work in the morning,  As the road followed the mountain ridge there were occasions when the fog flowing inland from Monterey Bay would crest over the ridge and drop down the landward side towards Lexington Dam.  It was truly magical to see the fog lit luminously as it crested over the road and created an undulating, flowing tunnel.  The Road might like such a location.  I can't swear to the AC/DC but there was always music playing in my car.

Beyond those, I had two other thoughts.  Charles De Lint, my absolute favorite author, wrote a short story titled Romano Drom.  You can find it in his antholgy, Dreams Underfoot.  The story tells of the passing of the torch amongst those who travel the Road and keep the Ways open.  To say more would ruin the story.  :)

I'm not familiar with enough of the mythology or ghost stories but there was a movie back in 1998 starring Patrick Swayze titled Black Dog.  This link goes to IMDB.  If you want the full movie synopsis it's over on Wikipedia.  I'm not linking to it in an effort to stave off spoilers :)

In Black Dog, we find part of the main character's back story is he fell asleep while driving a semi-truck and jerked awake to the sight of a black dog with red eyes running directly at him on the road.  More than that introduces spoilers, sorry.

I wonder if the ghost story of the black dog on the road would somehow link to either an alternate form for The Rider or perhaps an ally/agent?  It's just a thought at this point, I don't have any resources to point to that would support it.
Reality is but perception.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 06:04:29 pm »
Quote from: Oaksworn;165987
This is so cool!

Ok, so a couple of thoughts inspired by your descriptions:

I caught that you're in Northern CA.  It's a big place but if you've ever had, or ever get, the chance you may want to check out Skyline Blvd / Route 35.  I grew up in that general area, part of my drivers education was driving Skyline to learn better steering control.  It's a fun, two-lane, mountain road that runs along the ridge of the Santa Cruz mountains.  It's well known for high speed mortocycle runs.  So well known, in fact, that the CHP uses helicopters to track speed enthusiasts as they break the speed limit and cross the double yellow line putting other travellers at risk.  Seems to be a location The Rider would find quite comfortable.  There's even a bar up there where mortorcycle riders like to hang out.

That's kinda funny; I live about 45 minutes south of there and take hikes in that area sometimes. :)

I wonder if the ghost story of the black dog on the road would somehow link to either an alternate form for The Rider or perhaps an ally/agent?  It's just a thought at this point, I don't have any resources to point to that would support it.

I'll have to look into that. It doesn't feel like it connects with the Rider at all, but there's the Black Dog of Hanging Hills legend to work with there. Of course, I'm kind of thinking of a possible connection with the Rider and an American form of the Wild Hunt...maybe? So he might have hounds at some points during his ride...

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 06:15:14 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;165984

Hmm. I was actually thinking more of the Avenue of the Giants up in Humboldt, but that's definitely something to think about.

One more item just added to my bucket list...  

Quote from: HarpingHawke;165984

So you've encountered him before? I can definitely see this being a thing.

The threshold part definitely resonates strongly with the little I've encountered of him.

I've encountered him, yes.  He was actually one of the first non-human entities that I had interaction with when I began consciously pursuing threshold work. We had a very short but intense debate about the fate of a friend's son who'd been in a motorcycle accident.  We came to an understanding, which mostly consisted of him threatening my continued existence if I interfere with him again and my threatening his if he didn't back the hell off.  That particular conversation ranks high on my top ten list of stupid and reckless things I did as a youth.  However, I got what I was there for, so I'll count it as a win.  

I've seen him a few times since from a distance - which is just fine, as he's not exactly a warm and fuzzy kind of guy.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 06:26:41 pm »
Quote from: Oaksworn;165987

Another item for my driving bucket list.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 11:54:52 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;165994
Another item for my driving bucket list.

What's on your driving bucket list so far, if you don't mind my asking?

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 05:16:12 am »

As an urban spiritworker, I find this absolutely fascinating. I spend a lot of time on London roads, either driving or on buses. I love the idea of seeking the spirits of the roads. I've primarily worked with spirits of general locations, but I can definitely see the A41 having a tired, long-suffering spirit - it starts half way up the country and ends near where I live, and I've often felt like something has travelled a long way when I head home on it. It also feels like an old place, being in parts built over a Roman road. I'll see what I can do with this idea! Are you blogging it anywhere?
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 10:13:01 am »

I've seen the Rider twice:

The first time was in 2002 on Route 1 going up the Maine coast from Portland to Ellsworth.  We (for some stupid reason) decided to overnight the drive to Bar Harbor from Southeastern PA, and along about the Penobscot Narrows Bridge, he passed us going in the opposite direction.

The second time was just a couple of years ago.  I was on my way home from Cleveland on the PA turnpike right as Hurricane Sandy was coming in, and there he was in the next lane.  He rode next to me for a good ten minutes before speeding up and heading off.  

I'm not sure if he took anyone the first time, but the second time I came upon a massive collision (car against guardrail) half an hour after he sped off.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 11:33:48 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;166033
I've seen the Rider twice:

The first time was in 2002 on Route 1 going up the Maine coast from Portland to Ellsworth.  We (for some stupid reason) decided to overnight the drive to Bar Harbor from Southeastern PA, and along about the Penobscot Narrows Bridge, he passed us going in the opposite direction.

The second time was just a couple of years ago.  I was on my way home from Cleveland on the PA turnpike right as Hurricane Sandy was coming in, and there he was in the next lane.  He rode next to me for a good ten minutes before speeding up and heading off.  

I'm not sure if he took anyone the first time, but the second time I came upon a massive collision (car against guardrail) half an hour after he sped off.

Oh my goodness. This is kinda crazy. Is there a general feeling you got from him?

Validation!

Quote from: Naomi J;166025
I'll see what I can do with this idea! Are you blogging it anywhere?

Oh wow!

With the responses I've gotten, I might just have to start a blog for it.

As an urban spiritworker, I find this absolutely fascinating. I spend a lot of time on London roads, either driving or on buses. I love the idea of seeking the spirits of the roads. I've primarily worked with spirits of general locations, but I can definitely see the A41 having a tired, long-suffering spirit - it starts half way up the country and ends near where I live, and I've often felt like something has travelled a long way when I head home on it. It also feels like an old place, being in parts built over a Roman road.

Ooh, this is incredibly cool. Do you mind keeping me updated?

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 12:31:11 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;166036
Oh my goodness. This is kinda crazy. Is there a general feeling you got from him?

Validation!

I didn't get a feeling beyond "WTF???" the first time.  The second time, I felt like he knew I noticed him, but he had so much going on that I didn't warrant more than a glance...and I remember feeling relieved.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 01:52:45 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;166040
I didn't get a feeling beyond "WTF???" the first time.  The second time, I felt like he knew I noticed him, but he had so much going on that I didn't warrant more than a glance...and I remember feeling relieved.

He decided to pay a visit yesterday and I was...intimidated to say the least. I distinctly remember "Get your ass in gear or I will f***ing make you" being a specific of why he showed. :yikes:

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 07:22:23 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;166018
What's on your driving bucket list so far, if you don't mind my asking?

Not at all...

I don't have the complete list handy at the moment, but off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Highway 1 - Both the one in CA and the one along the East Coast
Stelvio Pass - Italy (Who am I kidding? Make that the entire road system in the Alps)
Transfăgărășan - Romania
Trollstigen - Norway
Denali Highway - Alaska
Chapman's Peak Drive - South Africa
Karakoram Highway - China/Pakistan
Atlanterhavsveien - Norway
Pan-America Highway - Too many countries to list
Historic Route 66 - US
Cabot Trail - Canada
Nurburgring Nordschleife - Germany

Neil deGrasse Tyson