"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Winter Holiday Plans  (Read 9994 times)

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Holiday Plans
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 05:22:59 pm »
Quote from: Nyktelios;165777
I know there is already a thread about how people celebrate Yule, but it's old and maybe things have changed since then. Also, instead of Yule, let's make it more general and talk about plans for any holiday you celebrate this time of year, whether it be the Winter Solstice, Yule, Christmas, Hanukkah, the Poseideia, the Lesser Dionysia, etc.

So what are you up to this year?

I'm getting more into secular "Christmas" this year. I bought a few decorations, including a little artificial tree, and I'm looking forward to listening to Christmas carols, though I'm holding off until December to add them on to my iPod. Religiously, I follow gods from warm climates, so I'm never really sure what to do about a winter holiday, though it's not like Jesus came from a cold climate, either. I do like the concept of bringing symbols of life and fertility into the home during the darkest, coldest time of year. I'll probably connect it to Dionysus, and/or Isis/Hathor giving birth to the sun. I will also probably go to a high Anglican midnight mass, and I might even do church on Christmas day as well. I'm a sucker for tradition, no matter the religion.

Yay a new thread on this.

In pagan things, I'm going to decorate my altar and maybe do some household work. I would like to make more plans.

In general things, I'm going to have christmas with my inlaws, we do the regular fairly secular gifts and whatnot. They don't usually do too much of a dinner but since I'm there and that's what I'm used to, I'll probably help to make one.

My parents, brother, maternal cousins, and maternal grandparents usually have Christmas together, and I usually go, but I'm not really up to spending several days at my parents' (especially not alone, as my husband has work probably the 24th and 27th), which I'd have to do to make the trip there worth going. It's too bad, because my grandparents also live out there, and might not come out my way. My cousins live here anyway, so that doesn't matter. This is part a bit rant/sad, and also to give you context for my usual holidays.

If possible I will see friends from out of town, but they live as far away as my family, except across a different ferry route, so that's not a sure thing. I may just mail them gifts. I like getting gifts for people.

In other winter stuff, probably some 4x4ing in the snow, should it actually come instead of rain (yay, british columbia), other snow activities, tea and sitting by the fire, hot chocolate, christmas shopping (not just for gifts, I am the one person who likes the atmosphere of it), and of course, post-christmas shopping, at which I may actually buy stuff.

This thread will probably give me more ideas, in every aspect. So far my winter is fairly boring.

I'll also probably make some sort of wintery playlist. Rupaul was on last year, and usually Vienna Teng gets a few slots.

As an aside, I've had various things from Twisted Sister: A Twisted Christmas stuck in my head since yesterday. That was a gift when I was 14? and still have somewhere.

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 10:44:05 pm »
Quote from: Scales;165910
In other winter stuff, probably some 4x4ing in the snow, should it actually come instead of rain (yay, british columbia)

I'd trade you Ontario weather for BC weather and day. We got snow last week already, and the temperature has been so cold. It's very unpleasant. :p

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 02:38:07 am »
I know there is already a thread about how people celebrate Yule, but it's old and maybe things have changed since then. Also, instead of Yule, let's make it more general and talk about plans for any holiday you celebrate this time of year, whether it be the Winter Solstice, Yule, Christmas, Hanukkah, the Poseideia, the Lesser Dionysia, etc.

I postpone everything until after finals including my birthday. My last final is next Monday. This is the first Yule in my new house with a real fireplace. I can't wait to start building some traditions. My husband wants to maintain some Christian elements, but my decorations focus on elves and winter animals. I want to break some old bad habits that I've kept for way too long, do shadow work, cleanse, and start painting again.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 02:54:38 pm »
Quote from: Scales;165910
My plans maybe changed, which is great. My cousins, who live near me, offered to host christmas for my whole family, and also invited me, my husband, and my inlaws.

This is all very family drama y, so, I'll just put it in bullets so you can get an idea why I'm so relieved:
- I was going to have my first Christmas where I wouldn't see my grandparents or close cousins, now I'll see them.
- In return, I was having my first christmas with my husband and with my in laws, and I still get to
- The idea of spending time at my parents' house without my partner was terrifying to me (and even with him, it is), but I would have to to see my grandparents. Now I don't have to stay with them, and still see my grandparents and don't burn any bridges with parents
- Now I get to see my cousins and parents and stuff open presents
- and have a big dinner, which I like doing, but wouldn't with my in laws since there'd only be four of us

Quote from: Nyktelios;165950
I'd trade you Ontario weather for BC weather and day. We got snow last week already, and the temperature has been so cold. It's very unpleasant. :p

Ontario is probably the only province that can compete with Alberta for worst weather.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 02:55:45 pm by Scales »

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 12:04:17 am »
Quote from: Scales;166645

Ontario is probably the only province that can compete with Alberta for worst weather.

One of my new coworkers just moved to Vancouver from Toronto and she's still in shock that people are bitching about a piddly -4.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 12:11:08 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;166721
One of my new coworkers just moved to Vancouver from Toronto and she's still in shock that people are bitching about a piddly -4.

-4? Pfffft. Gets colder down here in Maine. Try minus fifteen for weekz, with week-long power outages, 70 mph winds blowing off the barren at the uninsulated front of your house, and then get back to me.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 05:02:49 pm »
Quote from: Scales;166645

When Ontario or Alberta hit a point where they are colder than Mars on some days ... then you may be in the same playing field as a certain province.

;)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 09:20:50 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;166817
When Ontario or Alberta hit a point where they are colder than Mars on some days ... then you may be in the same playing field as a certain province.

;)

No such thing as Manitoba.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 09:47:51 pm »
Quote from: Scales;166832
No such thing as Manitoba.

I shun all your wintry localities. Like the plague.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Ghost235

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 02:17:19 pm »

Well, I'm doing a night at the soup kitchen for one.  For the holidays proper I'm doing something with my girlfriend's family.  I have been considering going to the Yule event at the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors in New York state.

The thing is that in Buddhism as far as I know there really isn't a winter holiday like Yule or Christmas.  However, I really do like giving things to people and it not being awkward.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 05:00:16 pm »

Christmas = home and family. That hasn't changed, no matter the religion. My dad and brother are coming with me to liturgy, while my stepmum will start dinner while we're out. There will be a turkey big enough to give us leftovers until the New Year, chipolatas, chestnut stuffing, chocolate log, mincepies with Baileys cream... oh, and mimosas at breakfast. (There will be more, but those are what I'm looking forward to :D:) There will be presents, and a few days of reading and listening to them... and as many Costa drinks as I can squeeze in until the 2nd.

I'm going to be around for Up All Night, but definitely won't make it to the end of the gathering. Time zones are unforgiving.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 02:23:32 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;167042
Christmas = home and family. That hasn't changed, no matter the religion. My dad and brother are coming with me to liturgy, while my stepmum will start dinner while we're out.

Do they share your religion, or do they come along to support you? I would be interested to know about your journey to the Eastern Orthodox Church, if you don't mind, though maybe you've talked about it in other threads and I missed it. I have had a similar experience, as I had a strong draw to the Blessed Virgin Mary and was thinking about joining the Roman Catholic Church, but ended up going to an Anglican church with my grandmother and learning about Anglo-Catholicism. It's close enough to Roman Catholicism, but without the added issues of child abuse, exclusion of women from the priesthood, and condemnation of non-heterosexual sexuality. Anyway, I'm interested to know other people's stories and what brought them to where they are.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 04:34:18 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;167042
Christmas = home and family. That hasn't changed, no matter the religion. My dad and brother are coming with me to liturgy, while my stepmum will start dinner while we're out. There will be a turkey big enough to give us leftovers until the New Year, chipolatas, chestnut stuffing, chocolate log, mincepies with Baileys cream... oh, and mimosas at breakfast. (There will be more, but those are what I'm looking forward to :D:) There will be presents, and a few days of reading and listening to them... and as many Costa drinks as I can squeeze in until the 2nd.

I'm going to be around for Up All Night, but definitely won't make it to the end of the gathering. Time zones are unforgiving.

Well, technically each person's Up All Night is defined by sunset to sunrise at their locality, so your time zone can easily be your own if you choose. UAN is all about your own choice of how to celebrate, all night or whatever part of it you want. We'll be happy to have you for however much you can manage!

I'm surprised you'll be having turkey. Since it's a bird of the Americas, I always think of it as a quintessentially American feast tradition. I thought in the UK you guys tended towards goose for the holiday feast.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 01:58:20 am »
Quote from: Altair;167079
of it you want. We'll be happy to have you for however much you can manage!

I'm surprised you'll be having turkey. Since it's a bird of the Americas, I always think of it as a quintessentially American feast tradition. I thought in the UK you guys tended towards goose for the holiday feast.

I think once upon a time that was true for those with money, but now Turkey is the traditional meat for Christmas (we are actually having sausages at Christmas for logistical reasons to do with my partners work schedule, but we are having turkey for yule)
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 03:01:59 am »
Quote from: Altair;167079
Well, technically each person's Up All Night is defined by sunset to sunrise at their locality, so your time zone can easily be your own if you choose. UAN is all about your own choice of how to celebrate, all night or whatever part of it you want. We'll be happy to have you for however much you can manage!

Turkey is A Thing in my parts of Norway as well, though they are not forced to grow so big, so fast as they are in the US.  A 'standard' size turkey over here is 12 pounds and an XXL turkey is 15 pounds.

Also, goose is a real pain in the ass to cook.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Tags: