collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: The Dagda and Other Celtic Gods  (Read 1811 times)

BeardedBoggan

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
The Dagda and Other Celtic Gods
« on: November 16, 2014, 07:25:38 pm »
I've been drawing upon a great deal of personal interest towards the Celtic gods and goddesses and after an enlightening spiritual experience which called me towards the worship of the Dagda, I want to educate myself on the rituals, worship and symbols of the Celtic deities.

But where to start?

Does any one have some good websites and/or books to recommend to one who is brand new to the Celtic deities?  I am specifically looking for information pertaining to the Dagda but would welcome the chance to research and learn about the Celtic pantheon as a whole.

Your insight is most appreciated!

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
Re: The Dagda and Other Celtic Gods
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 08:50:53 pm »
Quote from: BeardedBoggan;165482
I've been drawing upon a great deal of personal interest towards the Celtic gods and goddesses and after an enlightening spiritual experience which called me towards the worship of the Dagda, I want to educate myself on the rituals, worship and symbols of the Celtic deities.

But where to start?

Does any one have some good websites and/or books to recommend to one who is brand new to the Celtic deities?  I am specifically looking for information pertaining to the Dagda but would welcome the chance to research and learn about the Celtic pantheon as a whole.

Here are a couple Gaelic polytheism sites to get you started:

http://www.gaolnaofa.com/

http://tairis.co.uk/

Since you're specifically interested in the Dagda, here is the Wikipedia entry on him to get you started.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dagda

There are many people devoted to the Celtic deities on the board (Irish/Gaelic specifically, since that's the pantheon the Dagda belongs to) who will be able to give you further direction.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:53:02 pm by Nic an Dair »

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 06:03:42 am »

But where to start?

Have you seen the Hazel and Oak special interest group (SIG) here? There are lots of threads there that you'd enjoy reading through, referencing quite a few Gaelic deities. Other Celtic pantheons are talked about there too.

For a complete beginner, I recommend this book. It's badly marketed by the publishers - they've made it sound very unreliable - but it's good information packaged in a very readable format.

Eventually you'll want to start reading the original myths, though. A lot of us find them very tough to read (I certainly do), but they're worth a go. Try Mary Jones's site on the Celtic myths - she has a lot of the original myths there, and discusses them too. You could start with her page on the Dagda.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 08:50:15 am »

But where to start?

In addition to the link to the Hazel & Oak SIG provided by Naomi J, here's a link to the Hazel & Oak Resource Database.  It's a living database, being continually updated, and is full of reliable resources.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

BeardedBoggan

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 02:30:52 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;165521
In addition to the link to the Hazel & Oak SIG provided by Naomi J, here's a link to the Hazel & Oak Resource Database.  It's a living database, being continually updated, and is full of reliable resources.

Oh, this is beautiful! Thank you all so kindly for the wonderful resources; I have a lot of reading and contemplation to do!  

Seriously, y'all made my week!

Tags: