Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Two Teenage Girls Have Invented the Most Powerful Video Game of the Year  (Read 3070 times)

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Two Teenage Girls Have Invented the Most Powerful Video Game of the Year
 By Michael McCutcheon  October 9, 2014

The game, Tampon Run, is proving to be so successful, its creators spent last Saturday and Sunday coding a mobile version of the game. That’s right: An app called Tampon Run is coming to your iPhone.

The game takes a whole different approach to first-person shooters. The main character runs down the street firing tampons at her enemies, leaping over their heads to collect more when she runs out. The goal isn’t to build an arsenal and go all Rambo, however; it’s to challenge the idea that in society, we’re more comfortable with guns and violence than we are with teaching girls to be comfortable with their bodies.

New Yorkers Sophie Houser, 17, and Andy Gonzales, 16, created it last summer as part of the Girls Who Code summer immersion program, which aims to school at least 1 million young women in computer science by 2020. Houser and Gonzales are receiving wildly positive feedback and say the game has been played more than 100,000 times online.

More http://mic.com/articles/100672/two-teenage-girls-have-invented-the-most-powerful-video-game-of-the-year

Not being a computer video player, I will not comment on the game or its concept, but will leave that to others.

I was posted this because as I remember in the 1960's to 80's the percentage of women to men coding  and programing as being higher than todays levels.
http://www.ncwit.org/blog/did-you-know-demographics-technical-women

Does the names Grace Hopper or Ada Lovelace ring a bell?  Please answer before you Google them.

Also add names if you can.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:06:04 pm by mlr52 »
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Two Teenage Girls Have Invented the Most Powerful Video Game of the Year
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 04:50:33 am »
Quote from: mlr52;165312

Does the names Grace Hopper or Ada Lovelace ring a bell?  Please answer before you Google them.

Also add names if you can.

I'm a woman working on an IT degree. I also spent four years working in tech retail. So yeah, I'd say they do. Slightly. Now that I've had a man to explain them to my poor little ladybrain.

Also you may thank Hedy Lamarr for your wifi.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 07:10:24 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;165344

Now that I've had a man to explain them to my poor little ladybrain.

Comments like this puts a damper on the conversation.  (It leaves me feeling that somehow I have caused offense, and disinclined to continue to engage in conversation.)
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 09:36:29 am »
Quote from: mlr52;165366
Comments like this puts a damper on the conversation.  (It leaves me feeling that somehow I have caused offense, and disinclined to continue to engage in conversation.)

I would say that what put a damper on conversation was that you phrased your conversational 'hook' in a very condescending way - one that strongly implied that those reading your post would be sufficiently unfamiliar with Hopper, Lovelace, and their achievements that they might need to 'cheat' by websearching before they could say whether those names 'rang a bell'.

You have not 'somehow caused offense'. You have marginalized and excluded those people (many of them women) who might be quite interested in conversing about women's participation in pioneering computer tech, and belittled their knowledge on the topic (which might well exceed yours), by framing this as, 'education for those who don't know'. At the same time, by saying, 'answer before you Google,' you discourage those who don't already know from using a search engine to educate themselves.

And then you have the nerve to say that taking issue with it makes you feel disinclined to continue? Dude, the problem of women being marginalized in tech IS NOT ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 10:09:57 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;165382
I would say that what put a damper on conversation was that you phrased your conversational 'hook' in a very condescending way - one that strongly implied that those reading your post would be sufficiently unfamiliar with Hopper, Lovelace, and their achievements that they might need to 'cheat' by websearching before they could say whether those names 'rang a bell'.

This. I am not interested in conversations that shame people for not knowing things. It's a huge world out there, and many people don't know many awesome things.

Me, I prefer the Lucky Ten Thousand approach, as explained by the geeky cartoon XKCD - I love introducing people to awesome things they don't happen to know yet.

(Woman. Working in tech and libraries since 1998. Went to a women's college. I think about this stuff a lot, and I *still* hadn't heard about Grace Hopper or Ada Lovelace until five years ago or so, because I just hadn't hit that bit of data.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:11:34 am by Jenett »
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 12:56:37 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;165366
You did cause offense with the condescending explaining-down. Attitudes like that contribute to the "brogrammer" culture that makes computer science a hostile field for women, even as your words paid lip service to equality. If you didn't have to google, why would I?
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 05:47:18 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;165382

You have not 'somehow caused offense'. You have marginalized and excluded those people (many of them women) who might be quite interested in conversing about women's participation in pioneering computer tech, and belittled their knowledge on the topic (which might well exceed yours), by framing this as, 'education for those who don't know'. At the same time, by saying, 'answer before you Google,' you discourage those who don't already know from using a search engine to educate themselves.

And then you have the nerve to say that taking issue with it makes you feel disinclined to continue? Dude, the problem of women being marginalized in tech IS NOT ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS.

Sunflower

My question was if anyone heard of them (a simple yes or no), not what they knew about or could find out about them.

And I did not explain anything about them.  Although it could be inferred from what I posted that they were involved in coding and programing.

My feeling have nothing to do with women being marginalized in tech nor any effect on  that.

Had the responding comment been about what I wrote and how I phased it, that would have been bases for a conversation.

I am will to discuss how I see and express things, and that discussion may or may not change how I see them or express them.  

But the response as stated left me feeling the was no conversation to be engaged in.

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 05:51:47 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;165407
You did cause offense with the condescending explaining-down. Attitudes like that contribute to the "brogrammer" culture that makes computer science a hostile field for women, even as your words paid lip service to equality. If you didn't have to google, why would I?

My question asked if their names rang a bell (a simple yes or no), not what one knew or could find out about them.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 06:42:28 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;165469
My question asked if their names rang a bell (a simple yes or no), not what one knew or could find out about them.

You can't tell people what to see in your posts.  They read it, that's what they took away - that you were 'splainin to them and talking down.

If the goal isn't to do that, telling other people to stop reading it into your posts won't work.  The only thing you can change is your words.  If the ones you're saying are coming across badly -well, change what you're saying.

Tags: