Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: My faith list:  (Read 4965 times)

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: Male
My faith list:
« on: November 09, 2014, 10:50:11 am »
I said i would make a list of my beliefs, and so here it is:
(I hope this is he right place for this, if not, WHOOPSIE! :P )

Souls:
Everything on the spiritual planes of existence is made out of energy,  just as the physical planes are composed out of matter.
There is our core energy, our essence, our soul, our spirit, Our Self, which acts more or less like a solid, like a crystal, undying, yet it can grow.
It can also be harmed, cracked, and wounded, but it can also be healed of these afflictions.
But never consumed or broken down, at least not by anything on our plane of existence.
And even in these extreme cases the soul always reforms over time, with the core traits intact.
The soul is as i understand it, eternal, undying, immortal and indestructible.

Spirits:
Than there are spirits, who are likewise eternal, but do not have a physical form like us.
They are more like water, or fire, constantly in motion and filled with light and life.
Some are stronger than others, yet most have no need to feed on each other, and even those that do rarely do so unprovoked, and they are easy to fend of if you have the right amount of cunning.
And even if the spirit is consumed they always reform, allowing the spirit to move on, or take revenge upon the predator that devoured it/you.
Yet these things are so uncommon it is not something i should worry about.

Magic:
Than there is the energy that keeps us all going in both the physical and the astral planes.
Our auras, our astral forms are, and the blood of the spirits are all made out of this energy.
This energy acts more like a gas, or a vapor.
It can be divided, dissipated and dissolved.
It can act like fire, water, or lightning etc, depending on the type of energy.
There are many types of energy, more than any mortal can possibly remember.
Nature based (AKA Flora and fauna),  fire based, water based, but also darkness based, chaos based, angelic based, demonic based, cosmic based and so on.
Bending and controlling these forms of energy is what i call MAGIC.
It can be done through various means, such as circle laying, gem laying, spells, incantations, magical tools such as amulets, rings, symbols and runes.
Some seem to have been born with a talent for this while others are somewhat left behind so it seems(at least in  my experience), yet these things can be overcome with a healthy amount cunning and skill that one can develop to bend some of the rules so to speak.

Gods:
There are also stronger, more ancient spirits, that we call deities.
I know little about these cosmic beings, though some have a presence in our physical universe, like the moon, the sun, and the earth of course.
Stars are as i understand it, all the physical form of ancient fire spirits, and trees of somewhat younger offspring of the Gaia spirit and so on, though this is not really my area of expertise i must admit in all honesty.

So what would you call me? :]
What path do you think i am on? (If at all)

*Curious* :D:

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: My faith list:
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 12:00:03 pm »
Quote from: Thrak;164835

Your understanding of the soul as an indestructible, unique monad is actually pretty common. I've seen Wiccans ascribe to it, as well as New-Age types. It's also pretty close to the Hindu view of the atman. I think you know though that Buddhism (and I) do not agree. But I won't argue that here, because it's not the right place, nor the right time. ;)

I don't think you will find a religion that matches your theology perfectly, because obviously, this is your personal ideology that you produced yourself. However, I think you will find that your beliefs wouldn't be such a problem in more orthopraxic traditions like many forms of religious witchcraft or even some strains of reconstructionism.

That said, I repeat what I said to you in another thread: you would do well pursuing a left hand path such as Luciferianism or Theistic Satanism. I might also suggest looking up ceremonial magic, and definitely Thelema.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 12:10:22 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;164843
Your understanding of the soul as an indestructible, unique monad is actually pretty common. I've seen Wiccans ascribe to it, as well as New-Age types. It's also pretty close to the Hindu view of the atman. I think you know though that Buddhism (and I) do not agree. But I won't argue that here, because it's not the right place, nor the right time. ;)

I don't think you will find a religion that matches your theology perfectly, because obviously, this is your personal ideology that you produced yourself. However, I think you will find that your beliefs wouldn't be such a problem in more orthopraxic traditions like many forms of religious witchcraft or even some strains of reconstructionism.

That said, I repeat what I said to you in another thread: you would do well pursuing a left hand path such as Luciferianism or Theistic Satanism. I might also suggest looking up ceremonial magic, and definitely Thelema.

Believe as you wish. :)

I will look up Thelema. Thanks. :3

But Luciferianism or Theistic Satanism are definantly not my bag of tea.
I dont like the Christian link it has......
The term just repulses me. No offense.

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 05:40:44 pm »

Souls:
Everything on the spiritual planes of existence is made out of energy,  just as the physical planes are composed out of matter.
There is our core energy, our essence, our soul, our spirit, Our Self, which acts more or less like a solid, like a crystal, undying, yet it can grow.
It can also be harmed, cracked, and wounded, but it can also be healed of these afflictions.
But never consumed or broken down, at least not by anything on our plane of existence.
And even in these extreme cases the soul always reforms over time, with the core traits intact.

Spirits:
Than there are spirits, who are likewise eternal, but do not have a physical form like us.
They are more like water, or fire, constantly in motion and filled with light and life.
Some are stronger than others, yet most have no need to feed on each other, and even those that do rarely do so unprovoked, and they are easy to fend of if you have the right amount of cunning.
And even if the spirit is consumed they always reform, allowing the spirit to move on, or take revenge upon the predator that devoured it/you.

Magic:
Than there is the energy that keeps us all going in both the physical and the astral planes.
Our auras, our astral forms are, and the blood of the spirits are all made out of this energy.
This energy acts more like a gas, or a vapor.
It can be divided, dissipated and dissolved.
It can act like fire, water, or lightning etc, depending on the type of energy.
There are many types of energy, more than any mortal can possibly remember.
Nature based (AKA Flora and fauna),  fire based, water based, but also darkness based, chaos based, angelic based, demonic based, cosmic based and so on.
Bending and controlling these forms of energy is what i call MAGIC.
It can be done through various means, such as circle laying, gem laying, spells, incantations, magical tools such as amulets, rings, symbols and runes.
Some seem to have been born with a talent for this while others are somewhat left behind so it seems(at least in  my experience), yet these things can be overcome with a healthy amount cunning and skill that one can develop to bend some of the rules so to speak.

Gods:
There are also stronger, more ancient spirits, that we call deities.
I know little about these cosmic beings, though some have a presence in our physical universe, like the moon, the sun, and the earth of course.
Stars are as i understand it, all the physical form of ancient fire spirits, and trees of somewhat younger offspring of the Gaia spirit and so on, though this is not really my area of expertise i must admit in all honesty.

*Curious* :D:

I call you someone who already has a well thought out world-view/cosmology. It's a bit Tao and a bit animistic. Now you just have to figure out how you want to work with the information you have.
I think you are on your own original path which in my opinion, is a very good path to be on.
Beliefs don't necessarily need descriptors or a 'system'.   You don't need to call yourself anything. Be you and live with what you belief. After all, when people meet, they usually ask your name, sometimes ask how you spend your time (work, school, etc.) but never in my experience ask "and what are your existential beliefs?"

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 12:28:08 am »

This doesn't strike me as anything in particular, but it does help narrow your choices for further reading/exploring.

Probably not one of the Religious Witchcraft branches. Nor one of the Cultural Traditions.

This leaves the Non-Religious Magical paths.  Thelema is probably the leading of that category.  Possibly also the writings of Anton LaVey.  Be aware that LaVey called his tradition Satanism, though it doesn't involve the Satan of the Christians.  Also that, Thelema was (created?) associated with Aleister Crowley, a man with a questionable persona.  Don't let the strange cover scare you off.

Possibly some Kabbala might be of interest.  And less probable, but not impossible, the Principia Discordia.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 01:11:58 am »

Souls:

Spirits:

I have to admit that these first two points are remarkably familiar. The first one sounds like a description of Teotl. Though Teotl is perhaps more succinctly described as a force of spiritual animation.

The second appears to be a fairly general, but essentially accurate, description of spirits which would be familiar to most traditions.

As for the rest, well that is a little beyond me.

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 11:31:12 am »
Thanks for your advice all.
I will look into it.

PS:Levays work is to much based on social darwinisn and atheism, which i find frightening.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:31:26 am by Thrak »

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 11:34:52 am »
Quote from: Yei;164911
I have to admit that these first two points are remarkably familiar. The first one sounds like a description of Teotl. Though Teotl is perhaps more succinctly described as a force of spiritual animation.

The second appears to be a fairly general, but essentially accurate, description of spirits which would be familiar to most traditions.

As for the rest, well that is a little beyond me.

What do you mean by "beyond you"? :)

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 04:56:06 pm »
Quote from: Thrak;164938
What do you mean by "beyond you"? :)

I merely mean that I have no knowledge of magic as I do not practice. Nothing more.

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 11:29:13 am »
Quote from: Yei;164959
I merely mean that I have no knowledge of magic as I do not practice. Nothing more.

You do not have to so thats fine.

But if you want to, and if you need any help just message me.
I dont know much but iam more than happy to help. :)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 01:19:02 pm »
Quote from: drekfletch;164910
This doesn't strike me as anything in particular, but it does help narrow your choices for further reading/exploring.

Probably not one of the Religious Witchcraft branches. Nor one of the Cultural Traditions.

This leaves the Non-Religious Magical paths.  Thelema is probably the leading of that category.  Possibly also the writings of Anton LaVey.  Be aware that LaVey called his tradition Satanism, though it doesn't involve the Satan of the Christians.  Also that, Thelema was (created?) associated with Aleister Crowley, a man with a questionable persona.  Don't let the strange cover scare you off.

Possibly some Kabbala might be of interest.  And less probable, but not impossible, the Principia Discordia.

Yes, Thelema was Crowley's baby. I'm not sure I'd class it as non-religious considering it involves a pantheon of deities and has holidays and rituals and shit, though. (I mean, isn't the Gnostic Mass a pretty big deal with orders like the O.T.O...?)

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 01:24:56 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;164995
Yes, Thelema was Crowley's baby. I'm not sure I'd class it as non-religious considering it involves a pantheon of deities and has holidays and rituals and shit, though. (I mean, isn't the Gnostic Mass a pretty big deal with orders like the O.T.O...?)
Thelema the war Crowley designed it was very religious. What I've experienced personally with oto members though is that there's less emphasis on the religious aspect of Thelema, and more on personal freedom and discovering your True Will.

I only really have regular interaction with members of one lodge though, and while they're chartered, maybe that's just more reflective of how they personally do things
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 01:33:18 pm »
Quote from: random417;164996
Thelema the war Crowley designed it was very religious. What I've experienced personally with oto members though is that there's less emphasis on the religious aspect of Thelema, and more on personal freedom and discovering your True Will.

I only really have regular interaction with members of one lodge though, and while they're chartered, maybe that's just more reflective of how they personally do things

And I only have a vague sense from being online in the pagan sphere for so long.  It's apparent that my impression was based on incomplete information.  I'm probably also projecting aspects from Ceremonial Magic onto it.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 01:38:05 pm »
Quote from: random417

Ahh, wicked. I'm not a member so I can only guess based on the stuff I've read. Thank you for clearing that up.

Quote from: drekfletch;164998
And I only have a vague sense from being online in the pagan sphere for so long.  It's apparent that my impression was based on incomplete information.  I'm probably also projecting aspects from Ceremonial Magic onto it.

I can see how the two would get conflated, yeah. Crowley looms large in western magic in general.

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 01:48:11 pm »
Quote from: drekfletch;164998
I would consider Thelema to be a Ceremonial path, so that's not too off.

As far as the religious aspect, how it was originally thought of is religious, but the way I've experienced it is much like my (admittedly limited)  understanding of Buddhism, in that it's a system of self transformation, which CAN and originally did incorporate a religion, but can just as easily be worked without.
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

Tags: