Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Author Topic: UPG Offerings  (Read 7144 times)

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
UPG Offerings
« on: August 29, 2011, 05:39:37 am »
On the old forum we had this thread:
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=13534.0

I noticed it sparked very interesting discussions, so i thought it could be a good idea to reopen it here.

So,what you ever offered to your gods or spirits not-traditional offerings and had them enjoy it? What inspired you to give this offering to them?

Or have they asked for more 'unusual' or unexpected to you?

I find fascinating this sort of info even when it concerns entities i don't know very well, i can't help myself.  It shows to me that gods kept up with the times.:cool:

And it helps when you are trying to worship a deity that has not left  much historical record about the sort of things He or She was offered.

Personally I had a lot trouble to find something suitable for Aine. Then I was pointed toward Amber-scented candles.

In another hinstance, I asked Hekate what She would enjoy for her deipnon - i was one day late for that, since my life was hectic at the time and i had forgotten dark moon was coming, so i wanted to make up for it. That night i had a very vivid, surreal dream where i was surrounded by cookies, every side i looked. My dreamworld was litterally made up of cookies.

Very amused, once i remember what i had asked the day before in my prayers, I made a batch of lavander and cinnamon cookies.  It went over allright.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: UPG Offerings
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 06:41:38 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;16294

I noticed it sparked very interesting discussions, so i thought it could be a good idea to reopen it here.

So,what you ever offered to your gods or spirits not-traditional offerings and had them enjoy it? What inspired you to give this offering to them?

I find fascinating this sort of info even when it concerns entities i don't know very well, i can't help myself.  It shows to me that gods kept up with the times.:cool:

Offered Brighid graham crackers once. *shrugs* My kids were eating them and it felt like she wanted to try them. Seems to have turned out well since I still offer them when the memory/feeling hits.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 01:20:40 pm »

Sekhmet wanted condoms. She has a whole box of six Fire and Ice Trojans on her altar. I've tried to remove them but she's all about them. I don't know why, but that's what she wanted. :shrug:

Hwt-Hrw really liked vanilla Special K bars.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 03:02:49 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;16641
Sekhmet wanted condoms. She has a whole box of six Fire and Ice Trojans on her altar. I've tried to remove them but she's all about them. I don't know why, but that's what she wanted. :shrug:

Hwt-Hrw really liked vanilla Special K bars.

The first thing that came to my mind is that the condoms are supposed to protect against sexually transmitted diseases.  As a goddess of both illness and healing, I could see her appeal.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 05:48:54 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;16667
The first thing that came to my mind is that the condoms are supposed to protect against sexually transmitted diseases.  As a goddess of both illness and healing, I could see her appeal.

That actually makes a lot of sense!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

Talvikki Wyntersong

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:19:05 am »

And it helps when you are trying to worship a deity that has not left  much historical record about the sort of things He or She was offered.

Ahh...  For Tapio and Mielikki it is always hard to find historical records on them.  There are traditional Finnish offerings I could give and yet they have asked for a couple odd things...

Tapio BEGGED me for one of my favourite candies.  They are these little tart German berry candies rolled in sugar (I get them from World Market) and ever since then he's been asking for anything associated with berries. So I pick Holly for him in the winter and different berries in the summer. Well, he is a forest god so it's not too surprising!

Ahti has also made it clear to me that if I remove the giant seashell from my altar he would be furious.  Vellamo requested a necklace of a mermaid. (both of those arn't too weird... they are sea deities)

So nothing too terribly weird yet.  They havn't been very vocal about what they want and usually leave it up to me. Mielikki is pleased with almost anything.

"Ei kukaan ole seppä syntyessään."
(Also known as Winter Lavender from the old forum)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 03:47:43 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;16667

I always figured condoms would be more up Hwt-Hrw's alley than Sekhmet's. But I see your point.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Dragonfly68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 01:49:56 pm »

Hmmm??? Loki has a wind-up toy monkey, one of thoses that clap symbols as they walk, a plastic red bracelet I found one day in a parking lot.  No clue why he wanted it, but I saw it on the ground and he wanted it.  Food? Coffee, baked goods and tang. :)

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 02:36:02 pm »
Quote from: Dragonfly68;17163
Hmmm??? Loki has a wind-up toy monkey, one of thoses that clap symbols as they walk, a plastic red bracelet I found one day in a parking lot.  No clue why he wanted it, but I saw it on the ground and he wanted it.  Food? Coffee, baked goods and tang. :)

this reminds me, I once gave Hekate a plastic wolf-toy that howls to the moon. It's not until a couple of weeks later I noticed that the wolf was in the same identical pose than one I set on the background of this portrait of Her:
 http://violaserpeverde.deviantart.com/gallery/25674747#/d2n40eu
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Lecia Hale

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 09:24:16 pm »

The gods love chocolate... at least all of the gods I've offered it to love it. Maybe it's because they know how much I love it and how much of a sacrifice it is for me not to eat it.
Bedazzlecat who sucks at signatures...

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 12:42:36 am »
Quote from: Lecia Hale;17254
The gods love chocolate... at least all of the gods I've offered it to love it. Maybe it's because they know how much I love it and how much of a sacrifice it is for me not to eat it.

I've observed the same thing - some love it more than others, and different deities might prefer different sorts, but it goes over so well that I'm starting to class it in with more traditional standard offerings like alcoholic beverages, honey, and breads.  My hypothesis is that, while chocolate wasn't known in (most of) the ancient world, if it had been, it would have been an exotic luxury, just the sort of thing one might share with the deities, and would have been quite common as an offering.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 11:40:42 am »

I have offered citrus green tea and crackers before which has gone pretty well. And I also offer some of my herbs, because they are special to me, and I enjoy sharing it with the gods. Also, I offer some of my pearls alot (they're fake, but I love them so much, and its the same concept as with the herbs.) and the female dieties have been pleased. And I have also offered a cigarette. They liked that. I burned some Nag Champa incense last night, and I got some VERY good vibes from that.

On a specific level, Bast likes candles. I have offered her gold (back when I was sticking my toe into pagan waters) and she made it very clear she wanted the candle I was burning instead. Aset doesn't think much of my offerings, she would rather me just be focused and energized on my prayers and what I'm doing. I've been meaning to try and communicate more so that I can offer up something they really want, but I'm packing or working all the time. =/
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

Waterfall

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 03:19:28 am »

I give Loki enchiladas and Tecate. I think the why had something to do with someone once telling me I was too Mexican to worship the Norse gods. So I guess if I'm ever told that again, I can argue that at least one of them likes Mexican food. I also make random offerings of other things like rice candy and other non-Germanic things, but the enchiladas seem to be the one thing that I do most often. That and peanut butter cookies from Subway.

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 05:53:44 am »
Quote from: Waterfall;18157
I give Loki enchiladas and Tecate. I think the why had something to do with someone once telling me I was too Mexican to worship the Norse gods. So I guess if I'm ever told that again, I can argue that at least one of them likes Mexican food.

Haha, that's great! You tell 'em.

Quote from: SunflowerP;17311
I've observed the same thing - some love it more than others, and different deities might prefer different sorts, but it goes over so well that I'm starting to class it in with more traditional standard offerings like alcoholic beverages, honey, and breads.  My hypothesis is that, while chocolate wasn't known in (most of) the ancient world, if it had been, it would have been an exotic luxury, just the sort of thing one might share with the deities, and would have been quite common as an offering.

Speaking of Mexican things: Whose "ancient world" are we talking about? ;) While Europeans and their gods wouldn't have known about chocolate, cocoa was a pretty standard ritual drink and spiritual offering among the Aztecs, Mayans, and other South American cultures. (The Aztecs would even bury their dead with a pot of hot cocoa to take with them into the afterlife.) Since it has such a long history of ritual significance in the Americas, I wouldn't be surprised if that spiritual currency somehow "carries over" with foreign gods.

Leslie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 06:54:53 pm »

Personally I had a lot trouble to find something suitable for Aine. Then I was pointed toward Amber-scented candles.

In another hinstance, I asked Hekate what She would enjoy for her deipnon - i was one day late for that, since my life was hectic at the time and i had forgotten dark moon was coming, so i wanted to make up for it. That night i had a very vivid, surreal dream where i was surrounded by cookies, every side i looked. My dreamworld was litterally made up of cookies.

Very amused, once i remember what i had asked the day before in my prayers, I made a batch of lavander and cinnamon cookies.  It went over allright.

Sutekh likes weapons.  He insisted that I buy him a sword and put it in his shrine.

Tags: