Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Garden: Flowers in our gardens  (Read 21109 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Flowers in our gardens
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 02:53:33 pm »
Quote from: Floofy Bunny;184251
Congrats Sefiru, orchids are so temperamental, I just don't bother. Roses are about as temperamental as I get, and since I like the strong scented ones, I generally end up with fussier ones as opposed to the hardier ones that get along quite well in the region where I live.

Right now, my few herbs are holding up well with the exception of my basil which is definitely a goner, but the rosemary, thyme, and parsley are holding up. Now that I am settled into my new home, been about 6 months, I am looking forward to really planning and plotting for spring.

Huh, I must have gotten lucky with mine, because all I did was put it in peat moss and water it. Mind you, it has been three years since I planted it :P It's herbs I have trouble keeping alive, but the lemon balm I have now is doing all right.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Floofy Bunny

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 06:42:17 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;184316
Huh, I must have gotten lucky with mine, because all I did was put it in peat moss and water it. Mind you, it has been three years since I planted it :P It's herbs I have trouble keeping alive, but the lemon balm I have now is doing all right.

Ha, must be our drastically different climates as I see you are from Canada, while I am from Texas. A dear friend of mine moved to Chicago awhile back and would send me pictures of peonies, my favorites, because they were abundant and cheap in Chicago when they are so hard to find and even harder to grow down here. I would then send her pictures of magnolias which were, of course, nowhere to be seen there.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 06:43:00 pm »
Quote from: Floofy Bunny;184412
Ha, must be our drastically different climates as I see you are from Canada, while I am from Texas.

I doubt that's the reason, since all my plants are in pots and indoors, LOL. My area must be milder than Chicago, though, since we do have plenty of magnolias around. My mom often laments that it's juuuust too cold for stone fruits, since she would love to have a plum or apricot tree.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 01:50:05 pm »
Quote from: Larix;164167
Flowers in our gardens.

What is in bloom in our gardens right now?

It might be interesting to compare.

I mention my nasturtia, for a start.

They will die with the first frost.

Which will be either this November - or in December.

Allthough it is winter, I still have one sometimes 2 roses :) blooming in the garden.

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 06:47:59 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;184910
Allthough it is winter, I still have one sometimes 2 roses :) blooming in the garden.

Some early vinca minor, narcissus/daffodils planted from houseplants to the garden, same for 2 few hyacinths. Happy Easter to all. :)

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 04:16:10 pm »
Quote from: Nerys53;188990
Some early vinca minor, narcissus/daffodils planted from houseplants to the garden, same for 2 few hyacinths. Happy Easter to all. :)

Snow is melting. The lifeless grass from yesteryear is dry and yellow, but there are some small buds of crocus. Give them one or two other weeks, and they will blossom, unless frost during night kills them.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2016, 05:46:25 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;189015
Snow is melting. The lifeless grass from yesteryear is dry and yellow, but there are some small buds of crocus. Give them one or two other weeks, and they will blossom, unless frost during night kills them.
I don't have anything planted outside yet but I've got some seedlings going on my kitchen table, along with a Confederate Jasmine in a 1 gallon pot. I have to finish clearing out the plot as this is my first spring here and it's all grass, weeds, and fire ants. (Goddamn North Carolina.)
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 01:35:25 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;189027
I don't have anything planted outside yet but I've got some seedlings going on my kitchen table, along with a Confederate Jasmine in a 1 gallon pot. I have to finish clearing out the plot as this is my first spring here and it's all grass, weeds, and fire ants. (Goddamn North Carolina.)

My garden can be summed up in three words right now: wet, wet, and wet. It's rained for almost 2 weeks straight and not only is it depressing me because it's so gray, but by keeping me inside it's kept me from doing maintenance in the garden so the grass is almost knee-high in places and weeds are getting out of hand.

However, my Rosa 'Penelope' that I planted last year is just starting to bloom, and promises to put on a good show this year. The lack of sun means that the color of the blooms hasn't been bleached out yet from its typical starting blush to cream, so it's far more pink this year than last.  

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2016, 09:03:20 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;189027
I don't have anything planted outside yet

Now we are in the merry month of May - and  I have already planted lots of flowers.

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 05:37:58 am »
Quote from: Larix;192060
Now we are in the merry month of May - and  I have already planted lots of flowers.

A blooming pink hortensia recycled from an indoor houseplant to a pot on the patio area,
 it grew larger and flowers each year. :)

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 03:36:02 pm »
Quote from: Nerys53;194296
A blooming pink hortensia recycled from an indoor houseplant to a pot on the patio area,

Few last roses of the season very late for fall/autumn , dried-out hortensia blooms on the plant, one lonely vinca minor blue flower near the brick wall.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2016, 09:58:52 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;197239
Few last roses of the season very late for fall/autumn , dried-out hortensia blooms on the plant, one lonely vinca minor blue flower near the brick wall.

Showy goldenrod (Solidago speciosa), an autumn bloomer that I planted for the first time this year--next to Virginia creeper, which has just turned crimson, so the yellow makes for a nice combo.

A few late anise hyssop (Agastache foeniculum) plants that self-seeded in an empty pot are in full bloom, and my butterfly bushes (Buddleia davidii) are still going.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2017, 10:19:26 am »

I have planted several hortensias this year! :)

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2019, 05:39:41 pm »
I have planted several hortensias this year! :)

There are still many dahlias in bloom in my garden.

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2021, 08:01:11 pm »
There are still many dahlias in bloom in my garden.

I am sure you will have at least some daisies in your lawn now!

Tags: