Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Food: Your favourite wine  (Read 27842 times)

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
Re: Your favourite wine
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 09:39:49 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;202331
Off topic: Micheál! Glad to see you around again!

Sunflower

Why thanks! :)

Limited to my smartphone these days, but it's always a pleasure to visit the boards.
Semper Fidelis

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2017, 10:24:38 am »

Barefoot is my go-to, although I tend to go with their Chardonnay or Pinot Noir. Riesling if I want something with a little more oomph.

I like Riesling and Pinot Noir - which we call Spätburgunder here.

And now in autum the time has come for the "new sweet wine" - oder "Federweißer".
Usually enjoyed together with onion cakes.

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2017, 06:47:20 pm »
I like Riesling and Pinot Noir - which we call Spätburgunder here.

And now in autum the time has come for the "new sweet wine" - oder "Federweißer".
Usually enjoyed together with onion cakes.
I’m a big fan of toasted head’s chardonnay and bogle’s merlot. But my favorite commercial wine is earthquake zin. These days I mostly drink the dry (absolutely not sweet) blackberry wine I make myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2017, 05:26:15 pm »
And what do you like? :)

My favorite is Mogen David. Sure, it's considered to be "cheap," but it tastes great, and it's vegetarian friendly. Also, it is made in the US, and I prefer to use American manufactured products. I don't care for the higher end wines, or for the various California artisan wines.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2017, 08:27:56 am »
I like a good dry Riesling.  Crisp and bitey.

Tonight for New Year's eve we 'll have a Pinot Blanc (Weißburgunder)
 and a Pinot Noir Rosé (Spätburgunder Weißherbst) 

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2017, 08:56:39 am »
As there is a thread asking about your favourite beer, I now open a thread about favourite wines

-------------------------

Probably not what any wine snob would favor, but I drink a fair bit of Sutter Home Merlot, also occasionally Blue Nun or Kikkoman Plum Wine.

Preyna

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christian/Animist/Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2017, 12:16:33 pm »
Probably not what any wine snob would favor, but I drink a fair bit of Sutter Home Merlot, also occasionally Blue Nun or Kikkoman Plum Wine.
I like just about any Merlot, and a big fan of Guwertztraminer (though so hard to find near where I live).  However, as I work tonight, I won't get to imbibe on any fermented product of inebriation.  =sighs=

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 03:16:34 pm »
As there is a thread asking about your favourite beer, I now open a thread about favourite wines.

--------------------

If it comes to red wine, I like Pinot Noir - or "Spätburgunder" in German.

Among the white wines I prefer Riesling and Gewürztraminer. :)

-------------------------

I am definitely not a beer fan.  I am not familiar with a wide variety of wines and do not drink often, but Ruby Port is my favorite.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2018, 04:07:38 pm »
I am definitely not a beer fan.  I am not familiar with a wide variety of wines and do not drink often, but Ruby Port is my favorite.

A WINE THREAD?! Cue me gleefully rubbing my little NorCal wine snob hands together!

I'm a big fan of bold, dark reds. Zinfandel, Merlot, Syrah and Sangiovese are my go-tos. There's a little winery out in Hollister, CA called DeRose that's the oldest continuously opened winery in the USA (they managed to skirt prohibition by distilling sacramental wine). They're right on the San Andreas fault, too, so their vines are very deep and very old, but get a lot of minerality churned up due to the seismic activity. They are DELICIOUS - bold dark fruit notes, chocolates, caramels... my favorite is called Cabernet Pfeffer, which has a peppery taste with some coffee and plum notes.

However, another go-to wine of mine, since my folks moved inland recently and I can't go to the Northern California wineries whenever I desire anymore, is readily available in grocery and liquor stores across the continent - Apothic Dark. The bottle is goth AF, and it is a consistently delicious deep dark almost purple red. Saw it at Trader Joe's for $5. Bit more expensive up here in Canada - $20 - but so so so worth it.

I'll also happily drink roses, especially if they're not super dry. Not really a white fan but if that's what's being poured and it isn't franzia level shitty, I'll drink it.

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 04:04:05 pm »
A WINE THREAD?! Cue me gleefully rubbing my little NorCal wine snob hands together!

I really need to venture outside of the witchy parts of the forum - I did NOT know this existed!!

However, another go-to wine of mine, since my folks moved inland recently and I can't go to the Northern California wineries whenever I desire anymore, is readily available in grocery and liquor stores across the continent - Apothic Dark. The bottle is goth AF, and it is a consistently delicious deep dark almost purple red. Saw it at Trader Joe's for $5. Bit more expensive up here in Canada - $20 - but so so so worth it.

This wine is HEAVEN. I also like their whiskey barrel one where the wine is aged in old whiskey barrels. Tastes smokey and heavenly. Just absolutely an awesome wine to have to relax with.

That aside... I drink mostly red wines: Merlots, Cabernet Sauvingon, and my go to, Pinot Noir. I do tend to go out on a limb to try others, but those are my trifecta. If I had to have white wines... Rieslings, certain Chardonnays, and Moscatos are good. Dessert wines - like Ice wine from NYS Finger Lakes region - are fabulous as are Ports and Tawnies.

I used to have a wine app that would record all the wines I bought... sadly, I got rid of it. Probably should reinstall it...
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 06:49:06 pm »

This wine is HEAVEN. I also like their whiskey barrel one where the wine is aged in old whiskey barrels. Tastes smokey and heavenly. Just absolutely an awesome wine to have to relax with.

OooooooOOOOOOH I haven't seen that one! I'll keep an eye out because it sounds divine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Preyna

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christian/Animist/Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 08:10:44 am »

OooooooOOOOOOH I haven't seen that one! I'll keep an eye out because it sounds divine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ahhh, Apothic!  I love the look of the bottles, but I've never really had a chance to buy a bottle of it and try to see if I like it.  If you have trouble finding it... I have it on good account it's usually available in Walmart's wine sections.

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2018, 12:35:55 pm »
Ahhh, Apothic!  I love the look of the bottles, but I've never really had a chance to buy a bottle of it and try to see if I like it.  If you have trouble finding it... I have it on good account it's usually available in Walmart's wine sections.

Duly noted, although up here in British Columbia alcohol is only ever sold in liquor stores. (Which is DUMB but I digress and I also chose to live in No Fun Vancouver so)

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2018, 04:04:06 pm »
Duly noted, although up here in British Columbia alcohol is only ever sold in liquor stores. (Which is DUMB but I digress and I also chose to live in No Fun Vancouver so)

Unhh that stinks. I thought Virginia was bad in that we only have wine/beer in regular stores, anything harder can only be obtained from the VABC shops (Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control). I got super frustrated moving here from a state with no government oversight on booze and finding out I couldn't get rum at the grocery store but have to go to a shop with government-mandated hours that only has a sale once a year (and even that has only started two years ago).

Anyway, back on subject: Uneryx our tastes are almost exactly opposite, haha. Whites are my go-to, and I'm especially fond of the whites from central Italy. Verdicchio, Soave, Pecorino are my top 3. My husband has more of a sweet tooth so when we're sharing we tend to get a Riesling. I'm trying to get him hooked on Gewurztraminer now. In general anytime a wine is describes as having mineral, citrus, or floral notes I'm probably going to like it.

I do enjoy reds but generally not on their own, I have to have it paired with a food that complements the red. We had a Vino Nobile di Montepulciano for Christmas dinner because we had a beef roast and I insisted on a red (the Vino Nobile was my mom's pick). I will admit though that I'm sitting on a bottle of 2011 Brunello di Montalcino which is probably about ready now, just need a good excuse to open it.

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2021, 03:16:38 am »

Limited to my smartphone these days, but it's always a pleasure to visit the boards.

And it is always a pleasure to talk about wine! :)

Tags: