Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: U.S. Teen Beheaded for Witchcraft  (Read 3856 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
U.S. Teen Beheaded for Witchcraft
« on: October 31, 2014, 02:33:22 pm »
When I first saw the headline, I figured it must have happened in some remote African location. Yeah. Right.

This is beyond awful. How many teens get into some form of paganism in college? How many of them are here at the Cauldron? And this is what they get for it??

Christian zealot beheads teen for practicing witchcraft

"In a grisly murder an Oklahoma college student with strong Christian beliefs nearly decapitates a young man because the victim practiced witchcraft."

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2014/10/christian-zealot-beheads-teen-for-practicing-witchcraft/
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: U.S. Teen Beheaded for Witchcraft
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 02:53:46 pm »
Quote from: Altair;163932
"In a grisly murder an Oklahoma college student with strong Christian beliefs nearly decapitates a young man because the victim practiced witchcraft."

I am suddenly grateful all the Cru folks in my dorm did was spread rumors about me and deface my door...
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 03:04:49 pm »

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2014/10/christian-zealot-beheads-teen-for-practicing-witchcraft/

Wow. Just when I cozy up to thinking that everyone is drawn to the spiritual path that they need to be on, and all problems are just political but each individual can trust themselves and not let politics and hive minding throw them off...

During a news conference Stillwater police Capt. Randy Dickerson emphasized that the case is not related to recent cases of beheadings by Islamic extremists. Instead of Islamic extremism, the case appears to be about Christian extremism fueled by methamphetamine.

*sigh* The perpetrator had made a Facebook status update before the murder:

Tried to take on a demon and God had to help me through the tough parts. Got to be careful with my words and pay closer attention to my emotions.

Yikes. That was him being careful with his emotions??

Rock on in peace, Jacob Crockett.

Quote from: Jack;163934
I am suddenly grateful all the Cru folks in my dorm did was spread rumors about me and deface my door...

In my opinion, conduct of those non-pagans hostile to pagans wants for improvement in both cases.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:05:49 pm by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 05:36:58 pm »
When I first saw the headline, I figured it must have happened in some remote African location. Yeah. Right.

This is beyond awful. How many teens get into some form of paganism in college? How many of them are here at the Cauldron? And this is what they get for it??

There aren't even words to describe how horrible this is.  There will be a place set at this year's dumb supper for Jacob.  May he long be remembered.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 07:50:32 pm »

This is just.....terrible (and that word isn't good enough)! I would've thought people were more accepting in this day and age, but I guess there's always someone.
I would thank Jacobs though for standing up for what he believed, even in the face of that situation. Keep it cool, man. He'll be in my thoughts for sure!
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 01:00:22 am »

Oh my god! That poor kid! D8 I will pray for Jacob, his family, and friends.

I don't even think "evil" is the correct word I can call the monster that murdered Jacob. This is beyond evil!

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 08:14:07 am »

Worse, the victim may not have had anything to do with witchcraft (but was in a heavy metal band, which counts to some Christians as Satanic/Witchcraft) and the perp may not have been all that Christian. While this doesn't lessen the impact of a horrible murder, the murder may be more fueled by meth than fueled by religion.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

wish4rain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 10:31:56 pm »
I'm a high school student. Everyone I know has been very open about my religion, especially since I explain the stupidity of Hollywood and what Wicca really is.

At least,  almost everyone.  On Friday a friend who knows I'm a witch asked if I was dressing up for Halloween,  and I said I wasn't.
"Why not?"
"Meh,  I don't have time for it. But hey I'm a witch-  costume is already done! " and we both laughed about the joke. This guy who sits next to me, we'll call him Joe,  says
"Wait you're a witch?  Seriously? "
 I start explaining that yes,  I am a wiccan and that I have been for almost three years now,  when he interrupts and says,
"Does that mean that you'll pass out poisoned candy on Halloween? "
His eyes are big and I couldn't believe that he was serious. But he was. I then spent the rest of the period explaining to Joe (who I've known for over a year)  that I'm not a Satan worshipper!         For the rest of the time,  he kept acting like I was poison and no matter how many times I told him that Hollywood was completely lying about us he wouldn't believe us.

After that I was wondering if I should even tell anyone about my beliefs. But seeing this........ thank the gods I saw this because I don't want this to be me.

My mother is a Christian and the first and foremost thing she thinks when anything religious (about Wicca or not)  is that (1) I'm going to hell and (2) people will hate me for being me.

Sadly,  in the land of the" free"  I can't be me.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 03:59:58 am »
Quote from: wish4rain;164165

A Reminder:
Hi, wish4rain,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 12:19:22 am »

Out of the depths I cry to You, O Lord; Lord, hear my voice.
Let Your ears be attentive to my voice in supplication.
If You, O Lord, mark iniquities, Lord, who can stand?
But with You is forgiveness, that You may be revered.
I trust in the Lord; my soul trusts in His word.
My soul waits for the Lord more than sentinels wait for the dawn.
More than sentinels wait for the dawn, let Israel wait for the Lord,
For with the Lord is kindness and with Him is plenteous redemption;
And He will redeem Israel from all their iniquities.

Amen.

I'll pray for the victim.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 04:26:53 pm »
His eyes are big and I couldn't believe that he was serious. But he was. I then spent the rest of the period explaining to Joe (who I've known for over a year)  that I'm not a Satan worshipper!

Well worth noting that a Satanist isn't really any more likely to poison children than a Wiccan.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 04:36:21 pm »
His eyes are big and I couldn't believe that he was serious. But he was. I then spent the rest of the period explaining to Joe (who I've known for over a year)  that I'm not a Satan worshipper!      

Believe it or not, we don't poison people either, and phrasing yourself that way implies that we do, so... um, don't do that, pleasethanksbye.

Edit:

Ninja'd!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:37:51 pm by Valeria Crowe »
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 05:13:55 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;164349

we don't poison people either

I never thought so!

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 06:33:03 pm »

I start explaining that yes,  I am a wiccan and that I have been for almost three years now,  when he interrupts and says,

---bolding in quote done by me--

We have TC members who are Satanists. They happen to be wonderful people.
You might want to ask around for some credible information on their beliefs and practices.
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

wish4rain

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 07:27:27 pm »
Quote from: Viv;164668
---bolding in quote done by me--

We have TC members who are Satanists. They happen to be wonderful people.
You might want to ask around for some credible information on their beliefs and practices.
I'm not saying that Satanists are bad people!  I was still paraphrasing what he thought witches were:  people who worship Satan,  and he meant it in a negative context. I know that actual Satanists are just like everyone else and that,  like for witches,  their name holds a negative stereotype in the eyes of the public.  That's what I was meaning,  not that Satanists are bad. The boy I was talking to clumps us into the same type of people because he just makes assumptions based off of Hollywood and the Catholic church's words. It has nothing to do with my personal opinion,  which in reality is that I agree with the Satanist doctrine,  have read about it in the past,  but felt that Wicca was a better choice for me.

I know several Satanists and have had in depth discussions with them, comparing philosophies and morals. Just like with other religions,  I don't judge and am simply inquisitive.  I only get upset when someone is making assumptions or is misrepresented,  which I'm sorry it may have seen like I did in my previous post.

Tl;dr:  I wasn't judging Satanists,  but rather paraphrasing what that boy thought witches were. The statement reflected nothing of my personal beliefs,  which actually hold Satanists in high regards.

Tags: