Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Carving turnips?  (Read 1264 times)

Aett of Cups

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bookofspirals.com
Carving turnips?
« on: October 29, 2014, 01:04:16 am »
I've read a couple of articles about how people in parts of the UK and mainland Europe used to carve turnip jack o' lanterns, and I just ran across this article: http://livingtherusticlife.com/crafts/turnip-jack-o-lantern

Anyone carved a turnip before?  Is it harder than a pumpkin?  Do you know of any mystical significance to turnip carving that isn't also associated with pumpkin carving?
Aett of Cups

Book of Spirals is my author site.
The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Re: Carving turnips?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 06:05:05 am »
Quote from: Aett of Cups;163756
 Do you know of any mystical significance to turnip carving that isn't also associated with pumpkin carving?

No mysticism about it -  turnips were carved because pumpkins hadn't been discovered back then! Turnips are a seasonal vegetable available in the UK and Ireland at the moment. When Irish people moved to the US, pumpkins were available at the same time of year, and the tradition of carving was transferred to them. Otherwise, the point of them is exactly the same.

I've tried to carve turnips before, just to be more seasonal and local in my choice of decorations, but they're incredibly hard to carve! So I stick with pumpkins now. Alas, the Americanization of all things. Damn them for making things easier. ;)
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 08:52:56 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;163763
No mysticism about it -  turnips were carved because pumpkins hadn't been discovered back then!

As Naomi says, pumpkins are a food from the Americas.

One reason they're much easier to carve than turnips, of course, is that when you remove the seeds, they're effectively hollow (rather than turnips and other root vegetables, which are solid all the way through).

I have seen people do some really lovely carving on the outside of gourds (that would also work with turnips/etc.) by carving lines into the outside in a decorative, and then usually rubbing herbs or spices into the lines for color, but even that's fairly hard work for your wrists and it's still not the same kind of thing as a lantern.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 08:07:24 pm »
Quote from: Aett of Cups;163756
I've read a couple of articles about how people in parts of the UK and mainland Europe used to carve turnip jack o' lanterns ....

I did it myself when I was a child! :)

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 199
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal