Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Easing the spirit of a dead animal  (Read 2295 times)

Darcy

• View Profile
Easing the spirit of a dead animal
« on: October 28, 2014, 11:07:43 pm »
I don't know if this is a strange question, but it's been bothering me all day.

So on the way home from class, I hit and killed a female deer. I'm fine, the car's a little banged up (lost a headlight), but the death of the deer is really weighing on me.

I feel very close to deer in general, and knowing that I killed one, thought it was unintentional, is a horrible, horrible feeling.

Is there any way I can somehow ease the spirit of the animal? Maybe light a candle for her? I haven't felt her spirit bothering me in any way, so it would be mostly to ease my own guilt.

Has anyone dealt with an experience like this in any way? How would you recommend dealing with it?

Aett of Cups

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bookofspirals.com
Re: Easing the spirit of a dead animal
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:58:38 pm »
Quote from: Darcy;163748

So on the way home from class, I hit and killed a female deer. I'm fine, the car's a little banged up (lost a headlight), but the death of the deer is really weighing on me.

I feel very close to deer in general, and knowing that I killed one, thought it was unintentional, is a horrible, horrible feeling.

Is there any way I can somehow ease the spirit of the animal? Maybe light a candle for her? I haven't felt her spirit bothering me in any way, so it would be mostly to ease my own guilt.

Has anyone dealt with an experience like this in any way? How would you recommend dealing with it?

Although I've never had this happen (probably because I'm unable to drive), I've talked to a few other people who've had similar experiences.  It’s probably natural given that I grew up in the country.

I'm glad you weren't hurt and your car wasn't significantly damaged.

On the one hand, you should feel proud of yourself that your conscience is bothering you.  Many people wouldn't feel bad at all.  On the other hand, you should let yourself off the hook for what was obviously an accident.  

I applaud your conscience, but I don't feel there's anything for which you need to atone.  There is, as you seem to recognize, possibly something you can do to favor balance, but that isn't the same as a need for atonement.

As for wanting to restore balance, look for ways to support deer - their population, genetic diversity, well-being, health, etc.  You might try to keep roads from being built through areas of dense deer population and/or support wildlife sanctuaries that shelter them; you might want to join a hunt sabotage or hunt dissuasion group; you might food and water in places that might help deer to thrive (and/or keep them from having to cross the road in order to obtain these things), assuming that you don't endanger yourself by trespassing on private property, etc.

And as for the individual you accidentally hit, you may want to offer prayers for its easy passage into the next life (indeed, Samhain is often seen as a good time to pray for the dead and an easy time for the living to pass into death); but I don't recommend that you try to lead it anywhere in the otherworld unless you're practiced at doing so.  I also wouldn't be worried that it’s upset with you.  I find that animals are a lot more understanding about death and rebirth than humans, and I can't recall ever having met the spirit of an animal unduly angry about its death unless it was killed with malice.

Again, though, thanks so much for caring.  I'm sad that it was the deer's time to pass, but I'm glad that that passing wasn't just ignored or explained in terms of a nuisance; it makes me happy to see you react in a compassionate way even though the event must have been traumatic for you as well.
Aett of Cups

Book of Spirals is my author site.
The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 10:44:51 am »
Quote from: Aett of Cups;163752
I applaud your conscience, but I don't feel there's anything for which you need to atone.  There is, as you seem to recognize, possibly something you can do to favor balance, but that isn't the same as a need for atonement.

And as for the individual you accidentally hit, you may want to offer prayers for its easy passage into the next life (indeed, Samhain is often seen as a good time to pray for the dead and an easy time for the living to pass into death); ...

Again, though, thanks so much for caring.  I'm sad that it was the deer's time to pass, but I'm glad that that passing wasn't just ignored or explained in terms of a nuisance; it makes me happy to see you react in a compassionate way even though the event must have been traumatic for you as well.

Fwiw, I very much agree with all of this.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:55:07 am »

Eat the meat, save the bones and skin.

The deer is a prey animal. Wasting it is the greatest insult. If its death gives you life, then everything is as nature intends.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 11:59:54 am »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;163777

The deer is a prey animal. Wasting it is the greatest insult. If its death gives you life, then everything is as nature intends.

Probably not the best advice to someone in an area where Chronic Wasting Disease is endemic in deer populations. While there is no current evidence that it is transmissible to humans, the same thing was assumed of Mad Cow Disease for the longest time and see where that assumption got us.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 12:18:53 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;163792
Probably not the best advice to someone in an area where Chronic Wasting Disease is endemic in deer populations. While there is no current evidence that it is transmissible to humans, the same thing was assumed of Mad Cow Disease for the longest time and see where that assumption got us.

Not to mention that if one of the stomachs is ruptured, bacteria and toxins can infiltrate the meat. That's the reasoning in NJ, at least, for roadkill being illegal to take and consume.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 01:02:48 pm »
Quote from: Gunnar Thorbjorn;163795
Not to mention that if one of the stomachs is ruptured, bacteria and toxins can infiltrate the meat. That's the reasoning in NJ, at least, for roadkill being illegal to take and consume.

Good points. The hide then, at least.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 01:08:07 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;163797
Good points. The hide then, at least.

True. I don't know if that is legal here or not. There is a contracted service that travels the state retrieving the carcasses. That's why it takes so long before the animal is removed.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 01:12:52 pm »
Quote from: Gunnar Thorbjorn;163798
True. I don't know if that is legal here or not. There is a contracted service that travels the state retrieving the carcasses. That's why it takes so long before the animal is removed.

Huh.

Where I live, people'd be up in arms if they couldn't take roadkill.

Some people only get to eat by scavenging.

Darcy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 04:32:08 pm »
Quote from: Aett of Cups;163752
Although I've never had this happen (probably because I'm unable to drive), I've talked to a few other people who've had similar experiences.  It’s probably natural given that I grew up in the country.

I'm glad you weren't hurt and your car wasn't significantly damaged.

On the one hand, you should feel proud of yourself that your conscience is bothering you.  Many people wouldn't feel bad at all.  On the other hand, you should let yourself off the hook for what was obviously an accident.  

As for wanting to restore balance, look for ways to support deer - their population, genetic diversity, well-being, health, etc.  You might try to keep roads from being built through areas of dense deer population and/or support wildlife sanctuaries that shelter them; you might want to join a hunt sabotage or hunt dissuasion group; you might food and water in places that might help deer to thrive (and/or keep them from having to cross the road in order to obtain these things), assuming that you don't endanger yourself by trespassing on private property, etc.

And as for the individual you accidentally hit, you may want to offer prayers for its easy passage into the next life (indeed, Samhain is often seen as a good time to pray for the dead and an easy time for the living to pass into death); but I don't recommend that you try to lead it anywhere in the otherworld unless you're practiced at doing so.  I also wouldn't be worried that it’s upset with you.  I find that animals are a lot more understanding about death and rebirth than humans, and I can't recall ever having met the spirit of an animal unduly angry about its death unless it was killed with malice.

Thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate it. I did say a few prayers for her last night, and am feeling much better now. I went back and checked shortly after to confirm that she was truly dead, and not lying there suffering.

That's a good idea about giving back by supporting deer. There are many deer that come and go in my yard and in the woods nearby, it might be good to keep water there for them. Though I don't want them to become too accustomed to humans, as there are many hunters in this area.

Again, I appreciate your kind words and insight!

I agree that wasting it would be bad, but I think where I live it is not legal to take the deer, especially as it landed/died on someone's property. (Though it is very close to the side of the road.) What I will probably do is let the vultures and crows take care of it, as they need the meat more than I do, and once it is clean, I'll see if I can walk there and take the skull and some of the bones.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 12:34:23 am »
Quote from: Darcy;163808

I agree that wasting it would be bad, but I think where I live it is not legal to take the deer, especially as it landed/died on someone's property. (Though it is very close to the side of the road.) What I will probably do is let the vultures and crows take care of it, as they need the meat more than I do, and once it is clean, I'll see if I can walk there and take the skull and some of the bones.

Good idea.  Check the law, maybe ask the property owner. If you come with your own bone saw, I'm sure the police or whoever would allow you to take home a doggie bag, although that could backfire...

/black comedy

Seriously, though, skulls are quite magickal objects. Taking the skull and reddening it (have you heard of reddening the bones?) could allow you to contact its spirit, ask forgiveness, even call upon it as a familiar spirit if it likes you.

Ghost235

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 03:35:25 pm »

Well, if I were in your shoes, there are some options for how I would proceed.

At the very least I would pray for the swift and fortunate rebirth of the animal.  

If I were feeling ambitious I would recite the "Bardo Thodol", a book designed to guide people into a good rebirth while visualizing the deer's mindstream moving through the different levels.  

If I were SUPER ambitious and/or really, REALLY dedicated(which I'm not, btw), I would do the Tibetan practice of Phowa, in which you transfer the mindstream of a sentient being to a Buddha realm(this requires a lot of specialized training as well as at least a month in dedicated retreat).

Tags: