Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Anyone interested in helping with an project on (G/g)oddess worship?  (Read 3015 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: Anyone interested in helping with an project on (G/g)oddess worship?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 11:41:59 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;163780
It's worth noting that the overlap of people whose religions have a "The Goddess" and people whose religions have goddesses is likely much smaller than you expect, which means your question is more about comparing wholly different religions and their theologies than experiences within the same structure.

Also, the monistic Goddess (the ground of being in some pagan emanationist theologies, some of which are polytheistic) is not the same as the purportedly universal Goddess-and-God duotheism, is not the same as the trad Wicca Goddess and God (specific deities within a hypothetically polytheistic universe, where that particular pair is basically the relevant pantheon for that religion).
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 11:42:35 am »
Quote from: Raze;163599
****MOD NOTE**** this is academic research for a class!*****

Following up - all interviewing needs to be done on a strict opt-in policy, and any direct quoting needs to be cleared with the person making the quote before being used.  Do NOT use names or quotes without permission.

Thank you
HeartShadow - Cauldron Staff

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 11:54:51 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;163783
Also, the monistic Goddess (the ground of being in some pagan emanationist theologies, some of which are polytheistic) is not the same as the purportedly universal Goddess-and-God duotheism, is not the same as the trad Wicca Goddess and God (specific deities within a hypothetically polytheistic universe, where that particular pair is basically the relevant pantheon for that religion).

Indeed. And the concept of each has slightly different origins, sociologically and theologically. Though I know some of the foundational texts of the Goddess movement have been compared with some of the foundational texts of Wicca, so maybe not *quite* as different origins as it seems.

Duotheism is not a concept that I know much about, really, although it comes up in some OBOD ideas, prayers etc. In practice, I encounter more 'the Goddess as ground of being', although people often add the God as a counterpoint to that. In practice I think duotheism and Goddess monism overlap for a lot of people.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 12:08:47 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;163789
Indeed. And the concept of each has slightly different origins, sociologically and theologically. Though I know some of the foundational texts of the Goddess movement have been compared with some of the foundational texts of Wicca, so maybe not *quite* as different origins as it seems.

And the lines there aren't clean and tidy either.  Such as Starhawk, cited earlier in thread: she was trained and initiated in a monistic Goddess-as-ground-of-being (at least potentially; theologies vary) polytheistic tradition, and blended it with the Goddess movement.  The result, to my eyes, is notably less polytheistic than the original tradition, but there are still obvious strands of both there.

Duotheism is not a concept that I know much about, really, although it comes up in some OBOD ideas, prayers etc.

I suspect that one is way more common in leftpondian eclecticism than it is on your side of the pond, because of the way people have Read A Book.

In practice, I encounter more 'the Goddess as ground of being', although people often add the God as a counterpoint to that. In practice I think duotheism and Goddess monism overlap for a lot of people.

There's another blurry line, though sometimes I get the impression that it comes from people who have read Goddess monism and Wicca-derivative stuff and think they're talking about the same thing (much like people read Starhawk and Cunningham and think they're talking about the same basic Craft line).
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: