collapse

Author Topic: Anyone interested in helping with an project on (G/g)oddess worship?  (Read 3050 times)

Raze

• View Profile
****MOD NOTE**** this is academic research for a class!*****

I'm attempting to research goddess/Goddess worship. I want to understand how worship of specific goddesses differs from worship of the Goddess and how it might be the same. I would like to interview some people about their experiences and worship, either with specific goddesses or the Goddess or both.

The interviews could be conducted via email or Skype or whatever method works best for you. If you might be interested in helping with this project please comment below or message me directly.

If you don't want to participate in an interview, but know of a book/article/blog that would provide some insight, please let me know as well :)

(PS:If this isn't the appropriate forum for this request, I apologize and will gladly remove it.)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:38:07 am by HeartShadow »

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in helping with an project on (G/g)oddess worship?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 11:23:08 pm »
Quote from: Raze;163599
I'm attempting to research goddess/Goddess worship. I want to understand how worship of specific goddesses differs from worship of the Goddess and how it might be the same. I would like to interview some people about their experiences and worship, either with specific goddesses or the Goddess or both.

What/who do you mean by "The Goddess" and how is this different from "specific goddesses"?
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:23:37 pm »

The interviews could be conducted via email or Skype or whatever method works best for you. If you might be interested in helping with this project please comment below or message me directly.

If you don't want to participate in an interview, but know of a book/article/blog that would provide some insight, please let me know as well :)

(PS:If this isn't the appropriate forum for this request, I apologize and will gladly remove it.)
Hey, is this something that's been approved by staff? Because with where I am and what members of my family do, it could be dangerous for me to give info to someone who hasn't been vetted.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:26:42 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;163601
Hey, is this something that's been approved by staff? Because with where I am and what members of my family do, it could be dangerous for me to give info to someone who hasn't been vetted.

I totally understand that! I hadn't thought to ask staff about permission but I will do so.

I'm not actually looking for personal information. Just descriptions of how you honor who you honor. No real names or places, no personal descriptions.

While, I would love to get to know people personally for my own benefit, as far as the project goes, absolutely no personal information is required. Honestly if it was possible you could write down your experience on a napkin and ding-dong-ditch it at my house for total anonymity ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:27:24 pm by Raze »

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 11:30:16 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;163600
What/who do you mean by "The Goddess" and how is this different from "specific goddesses"?

I've always seen the the phrase "The Goddess" in reference to a kind of universal goddess that is the counterpart of the God (also a universal). Not attached to any specific pantheon and more of an all-encompassing figure. All this as opposed to "a goddess" who might be a member of a specific pantheon with specific traits and symbols attributed to her. I could be entirely wrong in this, but it's just what I've learned from reading on my own and talking with friends.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 04:53:07 am »

Goddess spirituality is a socio-religious movement. It overlaps the neopagan and post-Christian/New Age communities. There are a large number of Pagans who focus on The Goddess, partly as a result of the influence this movement. There are also non-Pagans who think about the Divine in this way, too.

Books you could try on Goddess spirituality:

Carol P. Christ: Rebirth of the Goddess (post-Christian/sociological)
J. Plaskow and C. Christ, ed.: Weaving the Visions: New Patterns in Feminist Spirituality (multicultural mix of essays)
Glenys Livingstone: PaGaian Cosmology: Reinventing Earth-based Goddess Religion (Pagan, focusing on Australia)
Sue Monk Kidd: Dance of the Dissident Daughter: A Woman's Journey from Christian Tradition to the Sacred Feminine
Starhawk: The Spiral Dance: A Rebirth of the Ancient Religion of the Great Goddess (Pagan)
Merlin Stone: When God Was A Woman (anthropological/archaeological)

I haven't read them all, but the Christ and Plaskow books are good, and the rest are on my 'to-read' list. You'll want to be aware that the goddess movement often draws on some dodgy scholarship, though. Be especially wary of Gimbutas.

I assume you've seen the Wikipedia page on the Goddess Movement? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goddess_movement

For the history of the movement you could also try the excellent chapter on it in Hutton's book 'Triumph of the Moon'.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 07:44:38 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;163609
You'll want to be aware that the goddess movement often draws on some dodgy scholarship, though. Be especially wary of Gimbutas.

I would include Merlin Stone among those to read with caution and a good deal of salt, as well.

I'm not in any way disputing the inclusion of When God was a Woman on the list; it's impossible to understand the Goddess/Women's Spirituality Movement without examining their sources of inspiration. But as you note, Nay, those sources of inspiration must be approached with care, and an awareness that they are, at best, mythic history rather than fact.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 07:53:40 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;163730
I would include Merlin Stone among those to read with caution and a good deal of salt, as well.

I'm not in any way disputing the inclusion of When God was a Woman on the list; it's impossible to understand the Goddess/Women's Spirituality Movement without examining their sources of inspiration. But as you note, Nay, those sources of inspiration must be approached with care, and an awareness that they are, at best, mythic history rather than fact.

Sunflower

That's why I said to be careful of influences.

The Pagan movement can be very hypocritical when it comes to the Goddess movement. We, too, academically speaking, have some serious areas of blindness. Pagans seem to love tearing down the Goddess movement's poor scholarship, while doing things like, well, reconstructionism. Which are dodgy on a number of levels but claim to be 'scholarly'... While academics boggle at them, or more likely, laugh.

I would argue that it's literally impossible to understand the Goddess movement without reading some of the influential 'great goddess' writing. Despite what many Pagans like to argue, it is still extremely influential spiritually *and* academically.
- Doctor Who

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 08:01:10 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;163731
The Pagan movement can be very hypocritical when it comes to the Goddess movement. We, too, academically speaking, have some serious areas of blindness. Pagans seem to love tearing down the Goddess movement's poor scholarship, while doing things like, well, reconstructionism. Which are dodgy on a number of levels but claim to be 'scholarly'... While academics boggle at them, or more likely, laugh.

I would argue that it's literally impossible to understand the Goddess movement without reading some of the influential 'great goddess' writing. Despite what many Pagans like to argue, it is still extremely influential spiritually *and* academically.

We are on the same page, here.

If part of your point is to note that not only is some of the Goddess movement scholarship dodgy, so is a great deal of Pagan critique of it - yes, and that's another point that's well worth making in context of the OP; I didn't think of that when posting, and I'm very glad you did.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 09:12:46 pm »

I'm up for sharing my experiences, scant as they may be. I deleted some of my inbox so you should be able to PM me for my email. :)
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 09:39:49 pm »

With regard to the worship of a specific goddess, you might be interested in Clann Bhride (http://www.clannbhride.wordpress.com).
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 10:41:29 pm »

Thank you to everyone who has offered help so far! I will be looking in to the various sources in the next few days. Thank you especially to those who expressed interest in helping through an interview!

If anyone else has good sources to share, I would love them. And, of course, if anyone else would like to take part in interviews that would be wonderful. I am hoping to interview at least 5-8 more people.

Adder

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 10:55:56 pm »

Sure, does PM here work! Though I'm a syncretic solitary, so it might not be what your looking for.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 11:07:09 am »
I'm attempting to research goddess/Goddess worship. I want to understand how worship of specific goddesses differs from worship of the Goddess and how it might be the same.

It's worth noting that the overlap of people whose religions have a "The Goddess" and people whose religions have goddesses is likely much smaller than you expect, which means your question is more about comparing wholly different religions and their theologies than experiences within the same structure.

If that's what you want to be doing, that's one thing, but if you're expecting people to be able to comment about doing both at some level there aren't all that many who can be helpful.  (And augh, I'm flashing on the horrible flamewars about monism that went around the pagan blogworld a few months ago now.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 11:13:37 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;163780
It's worth noting that the overlap of people whose religions have a "The Goddess" and people whose religions have goddesses is likely much smaller than you expect, which means your question is more about comparing wholly different religions and their theologies than experiences within the same structure.

If that's what you want to be doing, that's one thing, but if you're expecting people to be able to comment about doing both at some level there aren't all that many who can be helpful.  (And augh, I'm flashing on the horrible flamewars about monism that went around the pagan blogworld a few months ago now.)

I don't know - I think there might be a cultural variation there. OBOD is full of groves that mix these perspectives, at least in the UK. And all the Pagan activities I've encontered in the UK have a mix of people who relate to the Goddess and those who relate to gods and goddesses. I also know individuals who switch from politico-feminist Goddess perspectives to a personal theology of polytheism, fairly seamlessly. Our Pagan community may be different, on this level, from North American Pagan communities in this way.
- Doctor Who

Tags: