"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Dorm cleansing and warding?  (Read 16985 times)

Mithril

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Dorm cleansing and warding?
« on: August 28, 2011, 03:03:45 pm »
So move in day is a little over a week away and so I'm looking for ideas for magically cleansing my dorm room or maybe even putting wards up. As of right now, I was just planning on sprinkling a little salt water while nobody's looking and visualizing the room cleansed by pure, white light, which has worked in the past for new spaces, but I'm open to other ideas that could be subtle and long-lasting. I'd be especially interested in ideas for tying the spell to physical things around my part of the room.
The dorm is the largest on campus and has a history of being wild (luckily though I'm on the quieter 3rd floor) and is quite old. It was already old when my dad stayed there 30 years ago. Anyway, I think it will be well worth my while to cleanse and protect my space so there'll be no weird energy to distract me from my work.

Any ideas? :)

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Dorm cleansing and warding?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 05:12:02 pm »
Quote from: Mithril;16188

After the initial cleansing, you can use candles and stones that you've charged for that purpose. Nobody looks twice at candles and pretty rocks. Personally I like Carnelian, Tiger's Eye and Garnet. I've heard Citrine is good for warding/banishing negativity, but the others work better for me.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

Mithril

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 05:23:08 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;16196
After the initial cleansing, you can use candles and stones that you've charged for that purpose. Nobody looks twice at candles and pretty rocks. Personally I like Carnelian, Tiger's Eye and Garnet. I've heard Citrine is good for warding/banishing negativity, but the others work better for me.

unfortunately I can't bring candles (even if I swear not to light them...boooo), but stones is just the sort of thing I was looking for. Should I put them at multiple points around the room, or one? I'll definitely use Tiger's Eye and Garnet. I've read online that citrine is actually pretty rare and that most of the citrine you buy is heated smoky quartz, so maybe that's why you find it doesn't work well. (although, apparently the same is true for carnelian based on a quick google search? I wonder how many the stones I've bought are fake? :confused:)

Thanks for the suggestions!

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 05:34:59 pm »
Quote from: Mithril;16197
unfortunately I can't bring candles (even if I swear not to light them...boooo), but stones is just the sort of thing I was looking for. Should I put them at multiple points around the room, or one? I'll definitely use Tiger's Eye and Garnet. I've read online that citrine is actually pretty rare and that most of the citrine you buy is heated smoky quartz, so maybe that's why you find it doesn't work well. (although, apparently the same is true for carnelian based on a quick google search? I wonder how many the stones I've bought are fake? :confused:)

Thanks for the suggestions!

I like to keep a few in a central location (my altar when I have it set up) and then i place on in each corner of the room and in any windows. Some might think that it's overkill, but I'm a stone junkie....what can I say? :D:

A good piece of carnelian is a dark, rusty colored orange; almost red. Usually you find light to mid colored stones, which likely have more crystal quartz than carnelian in them. (Think of an amethyst cluster or point - the dark purple is the "amethyst", and it gets lighter towards the outside, where it's mixed with more crystal quartz than actual amethyst.)
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

live oak

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 06:06:45 pm »

Some quick thoughts:

1. I know you said that you couldn't have candles, but what about one of the LCD candles? I bought a pillar "candle" at Hobby Lobby for $4. They are frequently half-off, or you can use the in store coupon that Hobby Lobby has on their website.

2. I like the idea of stones and maybe a few sachets of some herbs for protection, clarity, peace, focus, and joy. Lavender fits most of those, but I think it's personal preference.

Hope that helps! Dorm living is certainly a trip.

Mithril

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 11:28:05 pm »
Quote from: live oak;16206
Some quick thoughts:
Hope that helps! Dorm living is certainly a trip.

Haha yeah, thanks to both of you. My roommate has announced that she's bringing TONS of Buddhas and Tibetan prayer flags, so my stones and pagany things probably won't bug her. :D

So right now what I'm thinking of doing is put the stones on my shelf, drawers, and desk so that they form a triangle around my bed. I'd love to find a house plant for the window that may have protective, warding qualities, or maybe even just for balancing. Do you know what herb would be good for that, but that can also be grown inside? But the part that I'm most proud of is this tapestry-like art piece I've been working on with a large tree on it. So I'm thinking as I'm finishing, I can just make it a spell that I hang, writing it either under the fabric (the image is glued onto a back piece of fabric) or on the back. Would runes be appropriate for that? I did a little bit with runes back when I first started magic, but not really since.

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 12:25:19 am »
Quote from: Mithril;16521
Haha yeah, thanks to both of you. My roommate has announced that she's bringing TONS of Buddhas and Tibetan prayer flags, so my stones and pagany things probably won't bug her. :D

Do you know what herb would be good for that, but that can also be grown inside?

Bay Laurel CAN be grown inside, (especially during the winter), but does equally well outside. Caraway does very well inside, and both are great protection herbs, as far as I've found.

I don't know about growing them inside.....but herbs I've even bought from a market that have proven to be beneficial in protection are cayenne (local to my region) and basil.....never forget sea salt. I also added a bit of black pepper, garlic, and a touch of thyme which I mixed in a bottle (what some call a witches bottle) with olive oil and kept on my window sill for years. It's worked as of yet.

Mithril

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 11:52:14 am »
Quote from: hufflee;16544
Quote from: Mithril;16521

Bay Laurel CAN be grown inside, (especially during the winter), but does equally well outside. Caraway does very well inside, and both are great protection herbs, as far as I've found.

I don't know about growing them inside.....but herbs I've even bought from a market that have proven to be beneficial in protection are cayenne (local to my region) and basil.....never forget sea salt. I also added a bit of black pepper, garlic, and a touch of thyme which I mixed in a bottle (what some call a witches bottle) with olive oil and kept on my window sill for years. It's worked as of yet.

Hmmm... bay laurel's probably too big, so maybe I'll try basil. It's apparently not easy to do inside during winter, but I'm still going to try it. Getting the exact amount of water right is going to be tricky. Basil would be so nice to have and keep my room smelling good. :) But if it doesn't work, I'll get an easier something and just bury a witch bottle in it.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 08:34:59 am »
Quote from: Mithril;16617
Quote from: hufflee;16544

Hmmm... bay laurel's probably too big, so maybe I'll try basil. It's apparently not easy to do inside during winter, but I'm still going to try it. Getting the exact amount of water right is going to be tricky. Basil would be so nice to have and keep my room smelling good. :) But if it doesn't work, I'll get an easier something and just bury a witch bottle in it.

I grow basil (and other herbs, lettuces, etc.) all year round in an AeroGarden.  They make a 3-pod model that is actually perfect dorm room size.  I have the 7 pod model and it sits on top of my kar shrine.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

SonofPan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 09:23:21 am »

I have a great thing, I am getting ready to do. It is a protection health spell used with a white candle after you carve your name into you anoint it with star oil. Your local shop should have one, if you don't tell me and I can get you the recipe for star oil. Perform a chant picturing yourself protected and growing and light the candle. This has to be done under a waxing moon as you invoke the elements.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:23:58 am by SonofPan »
"Life is about enjoying every moment you have, and with that enjoyment sharing with others!"

Mithril

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 11:42:45 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;17063

I grow basil (and other herbs, lettuces, etc.) all year round in an AeroGarden.  They make a 3-pod model that is actually perfect dorm room size.  I have the 7 pod model and it sits on top of my kar shrine.

That is so cool! Those things really work??

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 12:16:57 pm »
Quote from: Mithril;17121

That is so cool! Those things really work??

They work like a charm.  I grow things all year 'round and we end up with fresh homemade pesto even in the dead of winter.

(I also grow lettuces for Neb.y Set. ;))
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 01:04:52 pm »

Thanks for the reminder..........I wanted one of those things about a year ago, then I forgot they existed. I know what my husband is getting me for Christmas now! :D:

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 10:44:33 am »
Quote from: SonofPan;17068
I have a great thing, I am getting ready to do. It is a protection health spell used with a white candle after you carve your name into you anoint it with star oil. Your local shop should have one, if you don't tell me and I can get you the recipe for star oil. Perform a chant picturing yourself protected and growing and light the candle. This has to be done under a waxing moon as you invoke the elements.

That may well be a useful spell for protection and health.  I usually just use candles as pretties myself - I use other ingredients for magic.  The thing is, though, Mithril has already stated that candles are not allowed in her dorm, which makes this suggestion impractical at the very least.

Do you have one that involves maybe EOs and lightbulbs (I love the scent rings you can get) or any other way of using them not involving annointing candles?

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

SonofPan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 02:48:04 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;17373
Mithril has already stated that candles are not allowed in her dorm, which makes this suggestion impractical at the very least.

Pfft. My horrible attention to the small print shines through sorry Mithril! I forget what dorm life is like...Stupid dorm rules, makes it impossible to have fun! I would likely just break the rules...I know I'm a bad person :ninja:
"Life is about enjoying every moment you have, and with that enjoyment sharing with others!"

Tags: