Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Solitary practice?  (Read 3895 times)

Revenant

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Solitary practice?
« on: October 26, 2014, 06:47:40 pm »
Please bear with me as I'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to ask. :o  It seems that no matter how much I wander and research I still keep coming back to Druidry. For years, due at least in part to my location, I have been a solitary "pagan" and I'm ok with that. I'm not sure that I would be comfortable in a group setting at this point even if one was available. So, in continuing a solitary practice, are there any specific books or research materials that you would recommend? I'm not really looking for anything involving any "hard and fast" beliefs...but just something that would allow me to have my own ideas while still providing some structure. I read The Druidry Handbook by John Michael Greer years ago but, to be honest, I don't really remember much about it. Are there any good books or research materials out there that are geared more to a solitary practice? Any that I should steer clear of? I initially thought of possibly joining the OBOD or a similar group but, for now at least, I'd like to try this on my own. Any suggestions?
"When I have a terrible need of - shall I say the word - religion, then I go out and paint the stars."  ~Vincent Van Gogh~

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Solitary practice?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 10:35:22 pm »
Quote from: Revenant;163499
Please bear with me as I'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to ask. :o  It seems that no matter how much I wander and research I still keep coming back to Druidry. For years, due at least in part to my location, I have been a solitary "pagan" and I'm ok with that. I'm not sure that I would be comfortable in a group setting at this point even if one was available. So, in continuing a solitary practice, are there any specific books or research materials that you would recommend? I'm not really looking for anything involving any "hard and fast" beliefs...but just something that would allow me to have my own ideas while still providing some structure. I read The Druidry Handbook by John Michael Greer years ago but, to be honest, I don't really remember much about it. Are there any good books or research materials out there that are geared more to a solitary practice? Any that I should steer clear of? I initially thought of possibly joining the OBOD or a similar group but, for now at least, I'd like to try this on my own. Any suggestions?

OBOD is nicely geared towards solitary practice, and I'm just starting their program. All the rituals are written twice, solitary and group. You don't need to have any contact with live people if you don't want, for the most part. They do offer you a mentor, though. But I find it nice for learning solitary practice. Everything is written down and you take what you want or need from it.

I didn't find the Greer book to be overly helpful to help set up a solitary practice, though there were inspiring parts.

I found a book called "The Path of Druidry" by Penny Billington that is a little mini- course in solitary Druidry, but I only got a couple chapters in before my OBOD materials arrived, so I can't speak for all of it, but it was interesting and inspiring.

As for research, Ronald Hutton's "The Druids" and "Blood and Mistletoe" are scholarly looks at the history of Druids and Druidry.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Revenant

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 10:56:27 pm »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;163505
OBOD is nicely geared towards solitary practice, and I'm just starting their program. All the rituals are written twice, solitary and group. You don't need to have any contact with live people if you don't want, for the most part. They do offer you a mentor, though. But I find it nice for learning solitary practice. Everything is written down and you take what you want or need from it.

I didn't find the Greer book to be overly helpful to help set up a solitary practice, though there were inspiring parts.

I found a book called "The Path of Druidry" by Penny Billington that is a little mini- course in solitary Druidry, but I only got a couple chapters in before my OBOD materials arrived, so I can't speak for all of it, but it was interesting and inspiring.

As for research, Ronald Hutton's "The Druids" and "Blood and Mistletoe" are scholarly looks at the history of Druids and Druidry.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

That helps quite a lot Mountain Cat...thank you! :)
"When I have a terrible need of - shall I say the word - religion, then I go out and paint the stars."  ~Vincent Van Gogh~

Little Kingdoms

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 03:00:36 pm »
Are there any good books or research materials out there that are geared more to a solitary practice? Any that I should steer clear of? I initially thought of possibly joining the OBOD or a similar group but, for now at least, I'd like to try this on my own. Any suggestions?

Agree with the recommendation of Penny Billington's book, although I didn't finish it myself for the same reasons (decided to take up the BDO course) so I haven't read it cover to cover.  She is a member of the OBOD and seems to take a lot of her approach from them.  I liked her exercises in the book.

I also quite liked "From the Cauldron Born" by Kristoffer Hughes.  He examines the story of Ceridwen and the bard Taliesin in depth, pondering the role and symbolism of each of the characters in the story from a spiritual point of view.  Hughes is a Druid himself, and since the Taliesin myth is so central in Druidry it makes for some interesting meditations.

I've also just started doing some research into plant lore in conjunction with the Druid Plant Oracle cards.  The set was composed by the Carr-Gomms of the OBOD and has a lot of information regarding traditional medicine and folklore.  I meditate on the cards and try to find info about the plants themselves.  It's an interesting way of connecting to the land and the ancestors.  I'd like to do the same thing with their Druid Animal Oracle deck, when I get the time!

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 07:54:32 pm »
Quote from: Little Kingdoms;164233
Agree with the recommendation of Penny Billington's book, although I didn't finish it myself for the same reasons (decided to take up the BDO course) so I haven't read it cover to cover.  She is a member of the OBOD and seems to take a lot of her approach from them.  I liked her exercises in the book.

I also quite liked "From the Cauldron Born" by Kristoffer Hughes.  He examines the story of Ceridwen and the bard Taliesin in depth, pondering the role and symbolism of each of the characters in the story from a spiritual point of view.  Hughes is a Druid himself, and since the Taliesin myth is so central in Druidry it makes for some interesting meditations.

I've also just started doing some research into plant lore in conjunction with the Druid Plant Oracle cards.  The set was composed by the Carr-Gomms of the OBOD and has a lot of information regarding traditional medicine and folklore.  I meditate on the cards and try to find info about the plants themselves.  It's an interesting way of connecting to the land and the ancestors.  I'd like to do the same thing with their Druid Animal Oracle deck, when I get the time!

Ooh, all sorts of reccomendations in this thread! I was/am also struggling a bit to construct a functional practice out of the materials in Greer's book; it's got a bunch of useful stuff, make no mistake, but I get the feeling that he's expecting a new Candidate to have a mentor of some sort available to assemble the pieces, as it were.

I'll definitely be checking out Billington's book, so thanks for the clue. :)
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 04:05:07 pm »

I liked Greer's book, especially the table of inner places corresponding to each of the eight annual festivals on p. 82-83. These inner places are useful for active imagination purposes. His suggestions of deities corresponding to the festivals (p. 77-80) didn't work well for me, but, since he expressedly encourage readers to form their own personal style of druidry within the current, I have found out a sequence (still in progress from year to year) that works better for me. If you or anyone else find it helpful, I will give it here:

Winter Solstice: Mother Nature, The Sun, sleeping heroes
Candlemass: Matronae, Ced, foremothers
Spring Equinox: Niwalen
Walpurgisnacht: Don, Belenos, the Winter Baron, the May Baron, land spirits
Midsummer: Suleviae, Apollo Grannus
Hay-harvest festival: Tailtiu, Celi, Lugus/Lugh
Autumnal Equinox: Ceridwen
All Saints: Rhiannon, Gwyn ap Nudd, the departed

Other aspects of my solitary practice are still in the beginning. I have recently begun to meditate over the new moon and the full moon, and I acknowledge the seven planetary deities with one hymn a day. During winter, I try to greet the Sun at sunrise, but during summer it would be bad for my health to do so daily: i limit its use to Summer Solstice.

Tags: