Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Spell Analysis and Assessment  (Read 2401 times)

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Spell Analysis and Assessment
« on: October 26, 2014, 05:52:02 pm »
First off, I don't do a lot of magic. But I'm a practical Capricorn who doesn't like to make mistakes, or at least, doesn't like to make mistakes more than once. So it doesn't surprise me when, if a spell goes wrong, I find myself wanting to figure out just how and just where, so that if I need to attempt such a thing again, I know what not to do. But where do you really begin with such an analysis?

It seems to me that magic is such a subjective undertaking, with so many variables, that systematically, or, dare I say, scientifically determining just where and how something went wrong (or right!) is probably or practically impossible. Still, surely someone else has wrestled with this same sort of desire and found a solution to meet their needs?

I'm curious to know if anyone has come up with a systematic approach or devised a checklist of sorts to help them figure out their spellwork results*, or help them revise their spells for a second attempt, or ensure desired results can be repeated?

*If anyone has come up with a system for systematic analysis of their ritual work, I'm sure the tools could be easily used or modified for spell work, so do pipe up if that is the case.
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
Re: Spell Analysis and Assessment
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 06:25:28 pm »
Quote from: Finn;163495
First off, I don't do a lot of magic. But I'm a practical Capricorn who doesn't like to make mistakes, or at least, doesn't like to make mistakes more than once. So it doesn't surprise me when, if a spell goes wrong, I find myself wanting to figure out just how and just where, so that if I need to attempt such a thing again, I know what not to do. But where do you really begin with such an analysis?

It seems to me that magic is such a subjective undertaking, with so many variables, that systematically, or, dare I say, scientifically determining just where and how something went wrong (or right!) is probably or practically impossible. Still, surely someone else has wrestled with this same sort of desire and found a solution to meet their needs?

I'm curious to know if anyone has come up with a systematic approach or devised a checklist of sorts to help them figure out their spellwork results*, or help them revise their spells for a second attempt, or ensure desired results can be repeated?

*If anyone has come up with a system for systematic analysis of their ritual work, I'm sure the tools could be easily used or modified for spell work, so do pipe up if that is the case.

I can empathize with a practical Capricorn :)

As you said, I don't think it is scientifically possible but I would at least look over my notes. Examine the variables (the moon, crystals, herbs used, etc.) and compare with the results. I'd be surprised if the spell didn't work at all, as opposed to it 'it did, but that's not what I was expecting!'.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 11:18:27 pm »

I've yet to come up with an exact science, but I will say that this is the reason I keep a magical journal. That way I can examine all the details (timing, ingredients, emotional weather etc) and guess which is likely to have mucked it all up. Then I can try it again with that aspect changed or removed.

Also on the totally-not-scientific level of checking, I'll do a card reading if a spell goes REALLY sideways. I like to know why things don't work out as planned when I can.

Elementalist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 07:28:38 am »

I plan out any working in a journal first. Noting the primary intent of the working, listing possible materials, symbology and actions to perform. Perhaps even writing a mantra to say during it. After I perform the work I go back and detail exactly what I did and the intent I held. I come back in the days afterward and note any results I attribute to the working, there is no limit to how many times I may revisit the journal. Only draw conclusions once I consider the spell has run it's course.

Tenorbear2

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 09:35:35 pm »

I'm a scientist by profession, a laboratorian as well and did a type of magick practice as a medical laboratory technologist.  We chemically processed samples of human tissue, cut them into slices about 1/100 of a human hair thick, put them on microscope slides and then using a huge number of recipes stained the cellular components of the tissue to make visible the invisible. Under a microscope you could diagnose all manner of diseases. There were TONS of variables, it was very subjective and reproducing work was really difficult because of that fact. The number of variables don't stop you from being able to control your work because you use "controls". Along with the tissue in question you stained some for which the results were known to be positive. If the thing worked you'd know. Further more you could compare previous results on the "control" to see how well you'd done. I bring this to my practice of magick whether I'm doing energy raising, healing, spell work whatever. BUT, (there's always a but ya know.) no recipe, no matter how accurately followed works every time which is why witches and scientists don't rely 100% on recipes!  THE most important determinate in whether it works or not is how well we are connnected to the energy we're working with. When all else fails, blame it on sunspots. No, seriously - it can screw up the works just like Moon phases. Check out noah.gov to find the space weather so you know what the sun's up to. Knowing the planets phases can help to but Astrology never expanded to include the planets recently discovered - ARGH!  You can drive yourself nuts keeping records and looking for congruencies. I think it's better to make sure you keep track of your energy condition as practitioner, not just whether you followed your proceedures. I know that for me it's really all I need to know in assessing how well, or not something worked/works/will work.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 10:23:09 pm »
Quote from: Tenorbear2;164025

A Reminder:
Hi, Tenorbear2,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Lokison

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 12:36:54 pm »

Ugh... I hate to point you toward Analytical Chaos magic but sounds like you might benefit from it.

http://www.chaosmatrix.org

Look up Peter Carroll...

This has also helped a number of my students in the past.  http://www.chaosmatrix.org/library/chaos/texts/model.html
My beliefs are my own.  I do not speak for anyone else.  It is my personal perspective.  
I am not the Way or the Truth.  No Man or Woman can reach their God/dess through me.

When people ask me, "What give you the right to suggest standards for others?",
my answer is, "If I don\'t, someone else, perhaps less qualified, will."
History has proven that qualification is based on acceptance. The end justifies the means. - LaVey

Tags: