Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Well....this is uncomfortable  (Read 2035 times)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Well....this is uncomfortable
« on: October 24, 2014, 11:25:42 am »
After many rounds of poking with the Tarot, I figured out what Sarasvati wants: she wants me to build my own, brand-new shiny path around her. This is....uncomfortable, because...well, I am so happy about it, even though it flies in the face of orthodox Buddhism, and I still plan on taking refuge vows and continuing to visit the center.

I still want to do Buddhist things, but I also want to do Hindu things, and Jaina things, and Shinto things. I want to go wherever Sarasvati is, and not worry about the details.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Well....this is uncomfortable
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 12:35:51 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;163372
After many rounds of poking with the Tarot, I figured out what Sarasvati wants: she wants me to build my own, brand-new shiny path around her. This is....uncomfortable, because...well, I am so happy about it, even though it flies in the face of orthodox Buddhism, and I still plan on taking refuge vows and continuing to visit the center.

I still want to do Buddhist things, but I also want to do Hindu things, and Jaina things, and Shinto things. I want to go wherever Sarasvati is, and not worry about the details.

Could she be drawing you to Tibetan Buddhism in her Tibetan yidam form as Yang Chenmo? http://www.khandro.net/deities_female_Saraswati.htm

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 01:10:31 pm »
Quote from: Gunnar Thorbjorn;163374
Could she be drawing you to Tibetan Buddhism in her Tibetan yidam form as Yang Chenmo? http://www.khandro.net/deities_female_Saraswati.htm
Oh I'm sure. Sarasvati pops up everywhere in Buddhism. She's sometimes described as one of the 21 Taras, too.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 02:29:30 pm »

That must be both wonderful and terrifying.  I wish you much luck on your journey. :)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 03:19:58 pm »

OMG....Sarasvati got me to go to the Hindu Temple in Cary, one of the suburbs (what can I say? The triangle is diverse!) I walked around and then paid my respects to Ganesha, since his statue was RIGHT THERE. Then when I was leaving, I felt....an attack. Like, a wedge of energy splitting into my third eye. The funny thing was, it seemed to be helping things...and when it was over, all the energetic funkiness that's been messing me up for the past few weeks was gone, too.

So...it looks like Ganesha decided to remove some obstacles for me. ;)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 07:17:04 pm »

You're uncomfortable because you're happy? Am I reading you right?

I think you know me well enough to know my position on new and/or eclectic religious paths, but I'm looking forward to seeing how you balance this with your concerns about not engaging in cultural appropriation. I always enjoy seeing how other folks walk that line.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 04:28:09 am »
Quote from: Jack;163392
You're uncomfortable because you're happy? Am I reading you right?

I think you know me well enough to know my position on new and/or eclectic religious paths, but I'm looking forward to seeing how you balance this with your concerns about not engaging in cultural appropriation. I always enjoy seeing how other folks walk that line.

Yep. It's the cultural appropriation line that I'm feeling nervous about. Because while Buddhism is really open to converts, and Shinto is certainly open to seekers, Hinduism in my area is pretty much for the Indian population, and I'm not even getting into Jaina tradition.

When I was walking around the Temple, I couldn't help but note the...ethnic uniformity...of the worshipers. Sarasvati quipped "They don't get many white people here." and just kind of laughed a bit. Of course, I feel bound to return, now that Ganesha has done something so big for me. He opened me back up! So I owe him something.

It's so wonderful to have Sarasvati riding along inside me again. On the way home, she noticed the "Ishtar Hookah Lounge" and quietly (and rather worriedly) stated "I don't think the goddess would approve of that..." I've really missed having her snark like that!

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 04:51:00 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;163414
Yep. It's the cultural appropriation line that I'm feeling nervous about. Because while Buddhism is really open to converts, and Shinto is certainly open to seekers, Hinduism in my area is pretty much for the Indian population, and I'm not even getting into Jaina tradition.

When I was walking around the Temple, I couldn't help but note the...ethnic uniformity...of the worshipers. Sarasvati quipped "They don't get many white people here." and just kind of laughed a bit. Of course, I feel bound to return, now that Ganesha has done something so big for me. He opened me back up! So I owe him something.

I'm on a mailing list for pagans doing Hindu-type things and it's been both my experience and what I've heard reported that most Hindu folks are super welcoming but sometimes kind of confused why white folks are interested in their temples. XD How do you feel like you were received by the people at the temple there?

Do you have anything in mind as a starting place yet? Or are you still getting a feel for what she wants?

It's so wonderful to have Sarasvati riding along inside me again. On the way home, she noticed the "Ishtar Hookah Lounge" and quietly (and rather worriedly) stated "I don't think the goddess would approve of that..." I've really missed having her snark like that!

That surprises me a bit! I wouldn't expect a goddess of sex and war to be too upset about a hookah lounge.
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 11:56:05 am »
Quote from: Jack;163419
That surprises me a bit! I wouldn't expect a goddess of sex and war to be too upset about a hookah lounge.

I think it was more the general aura of seediness and lack of dignity that Sarasvati thought Ishtar would object to. If you're going to name a hookah lounge after Ishtar, it'd better be a FIERCE hookah lounge, not a hangout for slacker college students...

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 11:59:56 am »
I'm on a mailing list for pagans doing Hindu-type things and it's been both my experience and what I've heard reported that most Hindu folks are super welcoming but sometimes kind of confused why white folks are interested in their temples. XD How do you feel like you were received by the people at the temple there?

Do you have anything in mind as a starting place yet? Or are you still getting a feel for what she wants?

I'm getting a better idea of what she wants, and it seems to be that I remain Buddhist, but fit my Buddhism into my devotional activities toward her. I'm supposed to tailor my pursuit of the Dharma to fit my own individual needs, and not go for "off the rack" Buddhism. So that means that if Hinduism has things I need, I don't worry too much about respectfully asking for help from Ganesha or the other gods there. If Shinto practice makes me act more mindfully, well, let's do some Shinto. That's basically what she's getting at.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 12:02:56 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;163414
...Hinduism in my area is pretty much for the Indian population...

When I was walking around the Temple, I couldn't help but note the...ethnic uniformity...of the worshipers. Sarasvati quipped "They don't get many white people here." and just kind of laughed a bit. ...

I'm on a mailing list for pagans doing Hindu-type things and it's been both my experience and what I've heard reported that most Hindu folks are super welcoming but sometimes kind of confused why white folks are interested in their temples....

Indians are indeed very welcoming of non-Indians in Hindu temples. Keep in mind that Indians are overwhelmingly shy and reserved. You will get weak smiles, and sometimes looks of curiosity. It's not a matter of "what the hell is this person doing here?" but rather they are simply not accustomed to non-Indians adopting Hinduism. By and large they are actually flattered.

Also understand that those Indians who are not native English speakers will seem abrupt and curt in speaking, because that is the nature of their mother tongues. Most foreign languages are quite to the point; e.g. in English we say "what can I do for you?" or "what would you like?". In Italian and Spanish it's literally "what [do] you want?". It's not as "flowery as English, so it translates into English as curt. It takes a while to get used to this. They mean no offense by being so direct.

I had a lot of trepidation the first time I went into a temple. It took me months to work up the courage. When I went I spoke with one or to people at the temple office. They were very polite and welcoming. I admitted I had a little trepidation because I am "different". One of ladies said "Pfft! no one is different, we are all the same. Go in, take darshan, be comfortable". One of the priests even motioned me to come sit closer during one of the recitations (Sri Vishnu Sahasranama, the thousand names of Vishnu), which is in Sanskrit. I sat there with a totally blank look, and got friendly (almost sympathetic) smiles. When it was time to take blessings, the priest motioned to other people to step back and let me approach (Indians tend to crowd each other out for blessings and prasad). Other people at other times did ask me how I came to Hinduism, and struck up a conversation.

Btw Jack, what is the mailing list if you don't mind sharing? It sounds interesting.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 01:18:49 pm »
Quote from: Gunnar Thorbjorn;163429
Btw Jack, what is the mailing list if you don't mind sharing? It sounds interesting.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/indopaganpaths but I'll warn you it's pretty quiet.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 01:47:21 pm »
Quote from: Jack;163431
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/indopaganpaths but I'll warn you it's pretty quiet.

Great, thanks. I'm sure I'll glean some information. :)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 02:45:22 pm »
Quote from: Gunnar Thorbjorn;163429
Indians are indeed very welcoming of non-Indians in Hindu temples. Keep in mind that Indians are overwhelmingly shy and reserved. You will get weak smiles, and sometimes looks of curiosity. It's not a matter of "what the hell is this person doing here?" but rather they are simply not accustomed to non-Indians adopting Hinduism. By and large they are actually flattered.

I grew up with a large Indian population (although the majority were Sikh) and that was by and large the attitude I found. Never hostility, just a sort of "...what, seriously, you find this interesting?"

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 04:45:27 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;163434
Never hostility, just a sort of "...what, seriously, you find this interesting?"

Yep, a few of the ladies at temple always said to me that this was just something they grew up with, it was no big deal to them. They were amazed that others find it interesting, though as I said, they're flattered.

Tags: