Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: The Attack in Canada  (Read 2267 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
The Attack in Canada
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:17:38 am »
Hey, Canadian Cauldronites,

I just wanted to say we've been thinking about you down here in the States, and we hope the vile, violent crap you endured yesterday is done.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Attack in Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 01:41:12 pm »
Quote from: Altair;163304

I just wanted to say we've been thinking about you down here in the States, and we hope the vile, violent crap you endured yesterday is done.
I hope so too, although they've arrested another man walking around in public with a rifle in Halifax this morning (no shots fired, as far as I can tell from reports). No word on if its related, but I'm worried its not and people will get "courage" to do similar things in other cities.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 04:05:50 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;163314
I hope so too, although they've arrested another man walking around in public with a rifle in Halifax this morning (no shots fired, as far as I can tell from reports). No word on if its related, but I'm worried its not and people will get "courage" to do similar things in other cities.

That would suck. We look northward for sanity on guns; it was nice to know there was a place not so unlike our own where there wasn't another random crazy engaged in a mass shooting every 15 minutes.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:07:14 pm »

Thanks, I hope so too. The media likes to rile people up into hysterics, suggesting it's a terrorist attack related to ISIS, although I get the impression it was just one Canadian-born crackpot looking for attention. Hopefully that arrest in Halifax is unrelated, and not anything serious. Still, it's scary, and it's sad that Cpl Nathan Cirillo lost his life because of this craziness.

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:20:02 pm »

I hope so too, This was a terrible, terrible thing to happen in such a nice, quiet, peaceful country, there was no reason for it what-so-ever and it makes me sad, my thoughts, prayers, and good energies be with you all!:ange:
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 08:12:19 am »
Quote from: Nyktelios;163329
Thanks, I hope so too. The media likes to rile people up into hysterics, suggesting it's a terrorist attack related to ISIS, although I get the impression it was just one Canadian-born crackpot looking for attention.

That's what it looks like -- the terrorist/ISIS connection seems feeble if there at all form what I've seen. Of course media reports here in the US seem to be stressing that possible link.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 10:58:29 am »
Quote from: RandallS;163365
That's what it looks like -- the terrorist/ISIS connection seems feeble if there at all form what I've seen. Of course media reports here in the US seem to be stressing that possible link.

This is why I really like Peter Mansbridge.

Anyways, the ISIS link is probably nil. It looks like he had some paranoia issues (I've seen suggested he had more severe mental disorders, but I haven't seen that confirmed for sure, and I don't want to give the indication that just because he may have had one, that was the reason for him doing this), but that's just from news reports talking to people in his life that are currently willing to speak about it. It does look like he recently had a religious conversion to Islam, and his father was from Libya, but that's it? And that's really nothing to go on. He just seemed to act on his own, and we don't *really* know why he did it yet. Everything is speculation at this point.

Actually, I stand corrected. There is just this, which is the first I've seen:

But while Mr. Couture-Rouleau is not known to be connected to any other terrorism suspects, Mr. Bathurst said his friend [Ottawa Shooter] knew Hasibullah Yusufzai, a Vancouver-area resident who was charged in July by the RCMP with travelling to Syria with the intent of joining a deadly terrorist group.

From: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/suspected-killer-in-ottawa-shootings-had-a-disturbing-side/article21252419/ (near the end)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:00:37 am by Nyktipolos »
On the Rivers

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 09:55:16 pm »
Quote from: Voren;163335
I hope so too, This was a terrible, terrible thing to happen in such a nice, quiet, peaceful country, there was no reason for it what-so-ever and it makes me sad, my thoughts, prayers, and good energies be with you all!:ange:

It's a terrible thing to happen in *any* country.

The only comments I heard were people feeling bad for the man he shot. The shooter was a random crack-head street crazy that even got kicked out of a mosque in Vancouver. People aren't wondering about *terrorism*, they are wishing we had better answers as to how to deal with street crazies , to get them what they need but prevent them from getting things like guns.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 03:54:26 pm »
Quote from: carillion;163395

The only comments I heard were people feeling bad for the man he shot.

At my workplace, the buzz was mostly about the deceased soldier's funeral cortege, and how all the other traffic on the highway pulled over to let him pass. (Now that's Canadian.)

Also, made a pretty cool commentary on it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 11:42:03 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;163437
At my workplace, the buzz was mostly about the deceased soldier's funeral cortege, and how all the other traffic on the highway pulled over to let him pass. (Now that's Canadian.)

Also, made a pretty cool commentary on it.
In the part of the US where I live, pulling over to let a funeral procession pass is the law.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 11:54:25 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;163527
In the part of the US where I live, pulling over to let a funeral procession pass is the law.

Cutting into a funeral procession is not a good thing.  I have been in a car in an funeral procession and someone cut into it, and lead a number of cars somewhere other than the cemetery.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 03:14:02 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;163530
Cutting into a funeral procession is not a good thing.  I have been in a car in an funeral procession and someone cut into it, and lead a number of cars somewhere other than the cemetery.

Taking a quick peek online (so, a very brief search), and it looks like we have no special laws governing funeral processions. For the most part, I almost always see people pull over and/or let one pass at an intersection, because it's considering "bad taste" not to. But all processions are required to abide by the rules of the road regardless.
On the Rivers

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 04:35:42 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;163552
For the most part, I almost always see people pull over and/or let one pass at an intersection, because it's considering "bad taste" not to.

It occurs to me that I've never actually seen a funeral procession in person. Huh.

Still, it's not every day you see one on the 401.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 05:10:06 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;163552
Taking a quick peek online (so, a very brief search), and it looks like we have no special laws governing funeral processions. For the most part, I almost always see people pull over and/or let one pass at an intersection, because it's considering "bad taste" not to. But all processions are required to abide by the rules of the road regardless.

Generally the police will not interfere (enforce traffic laws, including red lights) with a funeral procession, it the drivers that can't wait for the procession to pass that causes problems.

Most of those driving in a funeral procession do not know were they are going, so they follow the car in front of them.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Tags: