Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Author Topic: The Good, The Bad and The Druid: Which Resources Help and Which Resources Hinder  (Read 7560 times)

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
In your opinion, which resources have been most helpful and/or most accurate for your Druidic research?  Which resources have been a hindrance to your research?  

Also, for the newer members, which resources (specifically authors) are reliable, most scholarly, etc. and which should be avoided?

celestialwolf

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://celestialmountains.com
Quote from: darashand;16153
Also, for the newer members, which resources (specifically authors) are reliable, most scholarly, etc. and which should be avoided?

For the avoid department, I think we can unequivocally agree that Douglas Monroe should be near the top.

For the help department, I found that the writings of John Michael Greer and Philip Carr-Gomm seem to be the most helpful. Of the two, I prefer Greer's writing as it tends to be less "dry" in my opinion.

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: celestialwolf;16382
For the avoid department, I think we can unequivocally agree that Douglas Monroe should be near the top.

For the help department, I found that the writings of John Michael Greer and Philip Carr-Gomm seem to be the most helpful. Of the two, I prefer Greer's writing as it tends to be less "dry" in my opinion.

Greer tends to be very Wiccan, imho, which doesn't thrill me so much because that is not really what I am looking for. I think Gomm also leans that way, but I really haven't read as much of his yet (currently some of his books are collecting dust on the shelf) to be certain.

celestialwolf

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: darashand;16426
Greer tends to be very Wiccan, imho, which doesn't thrill me so much because that is not really what I am looking for. I think Gomm also leans that way, but I really haven't read as much of his yet (currently some of his books are collecting dust on the shelf) to be certain.

Aye, but don't take this the wrong way, from what I've studied and been exposed to grove wise, the practices tend to be very Wiccan like. The only time I haven't seen Druidry seem Wiccan like is when I've been around Celtic Recons.

celestialwolf

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
I don't want to make it sound like they're the same, because they're not. But for those two, since they both lead major Druid organizations (OBOD and AODA), what does that say about their path? We influence each other and I think it shows.

Chakabe

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: celestialwolf;16462

As some people I know I have been paging though the "Principles of Druidry" by Emma Restal Orr.

I recently found out that she has a site that is basically a free online copy of the book. I have decided that I would share it here for people who are interested. :)
What is Druidry?

How you all enjoy :)
InnerWalden <-- New site  
"In the parlor there were three. He, the parlor lamp, and she. Two is a party but three is a crowd so the parlor lamp went out."

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: celestialwolf;16382

I have no idea who that is. But I've been lucky regarding a lot of my reading and have dodged, avoided, or been warned against a few authors or, in a couple cases, read like two paragraphs and had a good laugh before moving on... :D:

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: celestialwolf;16451
Aye, but don't take this the wrong way, from what I've studied and been exposed to grove wise, the practices tend to be very Wiccan like. The only time I haven't seen Druidry seem Wiccan like is when I've been around Celtic Recons.

From what very little I've read (skimmed) of both authors I'd say there's a definite ceremonial magic/wiccish influence. I don't really mind as I think I can generally pick those bits out and recognize their worth beyond that but it's a bit annoying to get some of it in my druidry ;)

It's interesting to note the persistence of such ideas though, bit of a timeline of thought and practice in that section of the neo-pagan movement/thinking.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: celestialwolf;16462
I don't want to make it sound like they're the same, because they're not. But for those two, since they both lead major Druid organizations (OBOD and AODA), what does that say about their path? We influence each other and I think it shows.

True. For myself I can say that OBOD is definitely looser and draws from a great many more 'soft' sources than compared to say ADF or presumably a hard recon group would/does. But, if that methodology works for them and their members, so be it. Also it bares repeating that OBOD is more of a 'lodge' group than an orthopraxic religion like ADF as OBOD members can belong to any religion or none at all.

I've been loosely following the OBOD training program but I won't be renewing for another year. At least not yet, aside from the cost involved I haven't had the time to really devote to it and it's a bit softer and looser than my 'tastes'. It's still useful and interesting material and I'm glad I've pursued it this far.

Whatever the case it is interesting to see the interactions of the various groups and their members.

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: Asch;20096
From what very little I've read (skimmed) of both authors I'd say there's a definite ceremonial magic/wiccish influence. I don't really mind as I think I can generally pick those bits out and recognize their worth beyond that but it's a bit annoying to get some of it in my druidry ;)

It's interesting to note the persistence of such ideas though, bit of a timeline of thought and practice in that section of the neo-pagan movement/thinking.

It is a common thing of Neo-pagans, rather than modern innovation based on lore, to fill the gaps with Wicca.  Seems a bit lazy, imo.

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: Asch;20095
I have no idea who that is. But I've been lucky regarding a lot of my reading and have dodged, avoided, or been warned against a few authors or, in a couple cases, read like two paragraphs and had a good laugh before moving on... :D:

I believe he wrote _The 21 Lessons of Merlyn_ (sic)

Mary Jones has an interesting POV and review of the book

And how can we forget Iolo Morgannwg

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: darashand;20155
I believe he wrote _The 21 Lessons of Merlyn_ (sic)

Mary Jones has an interesting POV and review of the book

Druids using Echinacea and Pumpkins?! That would be a neat trick! :eek:

I've never heard anything positive about 'ol Iolo aside from well, neutral, comments about him in works referencing the history of modern neo-drudry but...wows. Actually I take that back, I think some participants on the OBOD board are rather, er, 'positive' about him... :dwink:

celestialwolf

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: darashand;20155

LOL, so true.

There's also a couple of other books I got that I regret. "Druid Power" by Amber Wolfe and "Druid Magic" by Maya Magee Sutton.

I'd love to see a good book on Ogham that covers more of its  history, locations, etc. than the divination aspects.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:13:07 am by celestialwolf »

darashand

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: celestialwolf;20211
LOL, so true.

There's also a couple of other books I got that I regret. "Druid Power" by Amber Wolfe and "Druid Magic" by Maya Magee Sutton.

I'd love to see a good book on Ogham that covers more of its  history, locations, etc. than the divination aspects.

Ugh, I have _Druid Power_. ::shudder::

Erynn Rowan Laurie has a great book of Ogham, plus she has many scholarly sources available for future study.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:26:04 pm by darashand »

celestialwolf

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: darashand;20308
Erynn Rowan Laurie has a great book of Ogham, plus she has many scholarly sources available for future study.

Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out.

Tags: