collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Who do you work with?  (Read 32229 times)

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
  • Devil May Cry's a rockin'
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheistic Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Who do you work with?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2011, 09:42:17 pm »
Quote from: Sage;1036
Dionysus is a bit like that in my experience, too. Just... really super chill. He's there if you need him. He's unorthodox in his methods. And I know he'll be there for me if I need to turn to him again. But it's up to me to make the decision, and he'll let me do what I need - with or without him.

I generally get that impression too—that he will be there if I need to turn to him again. It's a very reassuring feeling actually yet a part of me just simply want to leave yet. Or ever. But it is nice to know that if I do make the decision and leave, even for a while, that I still have someone to turn to.

Without the guy, I'd probably be a wreak still and wouldn't have gotten past/comfortable with a lot of what made me uneasy. So I gotta give a lot of thanks to him because who I am right now, at the here and now, is mostly because of him. <3

gonpfdnp I'll shut up now and let this topic go back to what it was suppose to be about. :P -slinks away-

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2011, 09:44:52 pm »
Quote from: LuciaStar;1089

gonpfdnp I'll shut up now and let this topic go back to what it was suppose to be about. :P -slinks away-

Aw, never! Though if you'd like to start a topic about Dionysus himself, I know I'd like to contribute to that, and I'm sure some others would too. :)
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

OpenHands

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2011, 09:55:47 pm »
Quote from: Sage;690
Because I never tire of hearing about people's divine relationships. :) Which deity or deities do you work with closely or worship? (This can also expand to any type of spirit like a loa or bodhisattva, so don't feel left out if the guy/gal/other you work with isn't technically a deity.)

I worship all of the gods of Canaan- a few that I have particular devotion to.  I also honor my ancestors, local spirits, and the Japanese bodhisattva Jizo.  I'll keep my list brief.  :)

- Astarte/Athtart: My "gateway goddess", so to speak.  She was the first deity to answer my prayers after I left Christianity and has been the strongest divine influence in my life for at least eight years.  

- Ilu/El & Athirat/Asherah: The divine parents of the Canaanite pantheon, creator and creatrix of the gods and mankind.  As my divine parents, they are given particularly high honor in my devotions.

- Ba'al Hadad: I worship Ba'al as a significant member of the pantheon and pray to him when my gardens need rain, when the winter seems endless, and when I need change only a storm can bring.  

- Anat: Anat is a violent, martial goddess that I'm generally uncomfortable with, but she is given special attention in the spring when I celebrate her victory over Mot, the god of death, sterility, deserts (and in my interpretation, frozen winters).  

- Yarikh & Nikkal-Ib: Canaanite moon god and goddess of the orchards and vineyards.  Yarikh is worshipped at the new and full moons.  I pour libations to Nikkal in my orchard ever few weeks and pray for her blessings as a young wife.  

- Shapash/Shapsu: Goddess of the sun.   I keep a shrine to her and my ancestors since she is said to descend to the underworld each night to visit the dead.  I worship her as a deity who brings messages and illuminates the way to understanding.  

- Jizo: I'm not Buddhist, but I honor Jizo in gratitude for his assistance during a difficult time in my life.  Among other things, he watches over the souls of fetuses who died through miscarriage, stillbirth, or abortion and children who die young.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2011, 10:39:18 pm »
Quote from: LuciaStar;1033
Is he really? Is that why I always get that 'It's okay' feeling and response when I am generally confused over my own path like now? So far I have been working with him... but not right now as I'm in one of those "Where the heck am I going?" phases. I tend to... draw away from deities when I get like that.

Though I have worked with him and it has helped me a lot with clearing up my own issues. I was mentally a wreak once and trying to repair myself and last year, Dionysus popped into my life and I seemed to be repaired quite quickly. I think to explain the months that followed, it was... kind of like a therapy that I didn't know I was going through until I looked back and went "... Huh."
Even through my phase right now, I don't like the idea of letting Him go and the idea of honoring two deities seems attractive right now.

Yeah, that sounds a lot like him. :) I'd recommend reading articles from Sannion like "So you wanna get to know him, eh?". I used to have one saved talking about Dionysos as "the Other man", but I can't seem to find it now. I guess the only thing I can say is that Dionysos, for many, is never meant to stay around for long (we just need Him to push us, or teach us something). Or He just comes and goes (it's in his nature, and one of his epithets, after all).

Quote from: Sage;1036
Dionysus is a bit like that in my experience, too. Just... really super chill. He's there if you need him. He's unorthodox in his methods. And I know he'll be there for me if I need to turn to him again. But it's up to me to make the decision, and he'll let me do what I need - with or without him.

What Ellen said. :D Although generally the only time He forces something is when it's seriously, for lack of better words, strangling your soul into nothing by clearing away the things that are harmful. Or, you ask for His help in fixing your life by clearing out the crap as well.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
  • Devil May Cry's a rockin'
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheistic Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2011, 11:17:27 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;1128
Yeah, that sounds a lot like him. :) I'd recommend reading articles from Sannion like "So you wanna get to know him, eh?". I used to have one saved talking about Dionysos as "the Other man", but I can't seem to find it now. I guess the only thing I can say is that Dionysos, for many, is never meant to stay around for long (we just need Him to push us, or teach us something). Or He just comes and goes (it's in his nature, and one of his epithets, after all).

I realize that and I have a feeling that I can be safe in the knowledge that, if he goes [or if I leave for a bit myself], I still have a valuable companion to turn to if I ever need his help. And can be sure that I may need his help again someday.

I read a lot of Sannion's stuff so... heh.

Nehet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://youtu.be/_1GRj6CNSGg
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2011, 11:51:59 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;915
liminalist* for me.

*This was a term SunflowerP posted on the old forum as a possible alternative for shaman (sort of in the way it's commonly known, which I don't feel comfortable using because it's a term that apples for a specific culture, not ALL cultures).

Ooh.  Can I yoink that?

Kemetic liminalism.

(Ponders)
See, life is but a movement of eternal return.  Even Trees fall ~ Berlin papyrus 3024, (A man tired of life).

Live, Ausir, for all time and all eternity! Ankh Neheh Djet!

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2011, 04:03:14 am »
Because I never tire of hearing about people's divine relationships. :) Which deity or deities do you work with closely or worship? (This can also expand to any type of spirit like a loa or bodhisattva, so don't feel left out if the guy/gal/other you work with isn't technically a deity.)

As a Brit Trad., I worship the god and goddess of my tradition, whose names are secret, and occasionally give offerings to my attendant spirit(s). The latter relationship isn't necessarily a common one in Brit Trad, but I like my witchcraft medieval. :p Also, it just kind of happened that way.

I also work with the Tuatha De Danann - Angus and Lugh, primarily. (Not Brigid, however. I've found it difficult to make a connection with her.)

Wrynn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2011, 04:39:05 am »
Quote from: Micheál;729
Originally Posted by Sage  
Who do you work with?

I primarily honor the god and goddess.  I dont really have a patron deity yet, rather a knowable deity.  I feel spiritually connected to god the creator and the goddess giver of life, and so far for me, that has been pretty fullfilling.   Any suggestions for a named deities that fit into those aspects?
)o( Blessed be,
Wrynn Aethelraed

Waterfall

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2011, 04:56:38 am »
Quote from: Dragonfly68;873
Loki, mainly.  He gets the first cookie, piece of cake whatever it is I'm baking for home.  Sometimes a coffee or beer/wine. It's not a regular offering, more like I'll get a twinge that he wants something then He gets it. Or when things are going really well, I'll offering him food or something cool I found that I feel he would enjoy.

I'm not alone! I've always thought I should bake some cookies for him, but then I'd have a bunch of extras so I've yet to do it. I need another reason to bake cookies. Plus, it's summer and it's hot enough without me using the oven.

Eyesinthedark

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2011, 06:35:51 am »
Which deity or deities do you work with closely or worship?

Loki pretty much exclusively (yep, another one!). I'm interested in the rest of the norse pantheon though, particularly Odin, Thor and Skadhi, but mostly as an academic thing at the moment.

Quote from: Waterfall;690
I've always thought I should bake some cookies for him

I need to bake more. I'm still in high school and living with my family, so offering food can be kinda tricky (haven't told my folks, they'd laugh). I've got a spot in my room where I have an inconspicuous altar though, and things I think he'd like tend to wind up there.
My mind is like a steel trap: anything that goes into it comes back out horribly mangled.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2011, 07:03:04 am »
Quote from: Malkin;1217
As a Brit Trad., I worship the god and goddess of my tradition, whose names are secret, and occasionally give offerings to my attendant spirit(s).

What are attendant spirits?
I shall endure.

Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2011, 07:10:14 am »
Quote from: Wrynn;1222
I primarily honor the god and goddess.  I dont really have a patron deity yet, rather a knowable deity.  I feel spiritually connected to god the creator and the goddess giver of life, and so far for me, that has been pretty fullfilling.   Any suggestions for a named deities that fit into those aspects?

There's tons of advice out there for finding your gods - back in the old forums we got similar questions at least once a week. :) (Perhaps a good thread for me to start later today...) Do you believe that all deities are part of a greater God and Goddess and are looking for names, or that there are many different gods and goddesses out there and you're having problems figuring out who you've been honoring?
I shall endure.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2011, 07:11:25 am »
Quote from: Waterfall;1228
I'm not alone! I've always thought I should bake some cookies for him, but then I'd have a bunch of extras so I've yet to do it. I need another reason to bake cookies. Plus, it's summer and it's hot enough without me using the oven.

...I have a friend who's a Loki follower, and he playfully steals cookies at the lunch table in honor of him. Strangest SPG ever.
I shall endure.

Chase

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2011, 11:25:53 am »

Hermes recently thwapped me, so he's been getting small offerings every day. I get the sense he's here because I need him, and when his job is done he'll back off...but until then he's a very friendly presence, and particularly easy to get in touch with.

My path is otherwise very Wiccan-ish at the moment, so my other focus has been on the God and Goddess, who I tend to refer to as the Universal Father/Mother. Honoring them doesn't seem to bother Hermes at all when I've asked him about it, so it's not something I'm going to worry about unless I get nudged in another direction.

Auress

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2011, 11:27:54 am »

Right now, none. However, I'm trying to study Asatru and the Norse pantheon while still being very drawn to Cernunnos and/or Herne the Hunter, I can't figure out which one I keep seeing everywhere. I literally RAN INTO a song last night called "The Hunter" while just casually browsing pagan songs.

Tags: