Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Who do you work with?  (Read 32138 times)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Who do you work with?
« on: July 04, 2011, 12:22:07 pm »
Because I never tire of hearing about people's divine relationships. :) Which deity or deities do you work with closely or worship? (This can also expand to any type of spirit like a loa or bodhisattva, so don't feel left out if the guy/gal/other you work with isn't technically a deity.)

Primarily I work with Brighid with a few other Celtic contacts (namely Manannan and sometimes Danu). I've also started exploring Buddhism and think Kwan Yin is a pretty neat lady. :) And though I'm no longer Hellenic in practice, Dionysus will always always always have a special place in my heart as my first Pagan deity - I even think he reached out to me before I figured out Christianity wasn't my home.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Re: Who do you work with?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:40:42 pm »
Quote from: Sage;690
Which deity or deities do you work with closely or worship?

I have worked, primarily, with Sekhmet. She was the first and the only. Then, Hwt-Hrw decided that I needed some attention. So, I was worshiping the two of them for a while. Both Bes and Anpu made their presences known, but have not asked for anything specific from me.

I've since stopped working with the gods, though I hold them all in high esteem.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 12:47:18 pm »
Which deity or deities do you work with closely or worship? (This can also expand to any type of spirit like a loa or bodhisattva, so don't feel left out if the guy/gal/other you work with isn't technically a deity.)

I'm a follower of Isis, so she's the only deity that gets regular offerings, worship, and work from me.  

If I wasn't hers, I'm fair certain that Cernunnos would be the spiritual boss of me.  I work with him on occasion, as well as a small handful of other deities for whom I have an affinity (Anubis, tM, and Loki spring to mind).

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 12:52:04 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;698
I have worked, primarily, with Sekhmet. She was the first and the only. Then, Hwt-Hrw decided that I needed some attention. So, I was worshiping the two of them for a while. Both Bes and Anpu made their presences known, but have not asked for anything specific from me.

I've since stopped working with the gods, though I hold them all in high esteem.

Can I ask what prompted the change? And when you say "working with", do you mean all interaction or just serious worship or ritual?
I shall endure.

Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 01:08:07 pm »
Quote from: Sage;707
Can I ask what prompted the change? And when you say "working with", do you mean all interaction or just serious worship or ritual?

My job, actually, prompted the change. After I was promoted to manager, my time and energy was entirely focused on my career (sadly). I would wake up in the morning and be so focused on what I felt needed to be accomplished that day that I would forget to give the gods a meal. So, I swore I would make it up to them when I got home... but I'd mostly just forget by then and wouldn't remember until I was starting to fall asleep.

And I mean, all interaction. It's a major downer.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 01:15:01 pm »
Because I never tire of hearing about people's divine relationships. :) Which deity or deities do you work with closely or worship?

I am a case of "I don't know, man, I didn't do it" as related in Darkhawk's Eclecticism essay. (The link to which is not handy at the moment.) I work with twelve deities: Brighid, Lugh, the Dagda, the Morrigan, Hetharu, Setekh, Seshat, Djehuty, Dionysos, Athene, Hermes & Hekate.

At first I felt like a magpie- I'd begun with just the four Celts, and then I let down my wall to let in Hetharu and suddenly I'm at the bottom of a divine dogpile. But! Once all twelve were present, I realized how they all worked together as a thematic pantheon- they're not just a jumble of names, they have relationships to each other through their relationships with me. (And outside of me, too.) It is also worth noting that I am not a priestess- I am just me, a simple devotee, and so I do their work in ways that is not formal daily ritual.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 01:19:14 pm »
Quote from: Juni;719
I am a case of "I don't know, man, I didn't do it" as related in Darkhawk's Eclecticism essay. (The link to which is not handy at the moment.) I work with twelve deities: Brighid, Lugh, the Dagda, the Morrigan, Hetharu, Setekh, Seshat, Djehuty, Dionysos, Athene, Hermes & Hekate.

I'd love to hear more about how that works for you. Didn't you used to list your religion as "Path of Mists - multicultural polytheism"? I've felt drawn to several different pantheons over my Pagan career and have never quite been sure how to fit all the pieces together.
I shall endure.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 01:20:22 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;717

And I mean, all interaction. It's a major downer.

:( I'm really sorry. I hope things look up for you, or you find some way of working things out (though I'm sure you've explored many different solutions).
I shall endure.

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 01:24:58 pm »
Which deity or deities do you work with closely or worship?

I'm Brighid's, heart and soul.

I've given offering/thanks to both Lugh and Ogma when I wanted some help with job interviews, and when I was making an ogam set. I've gotten a general sense of "Okay, we'll help you out" from both of them, but never entered into any sort of relationship with them.

It's funny: it felt a little like calling, like, the bank or something -- because you have a relationship with "us" (with Brighid, really), we're happy to help you do what you need. :p
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 01:30:33 pm »
Who do you work with?
If by "work with", we're including worship and reciprocity, with working being part of a symbiotic relationship, and also not elaborating on what sort of "theist" I am as interpretations of the divine are personal&subjective, then I would have to say the main archetypical(and I'm not implying archetypes per say) deities known to the public as the Wiccan Gods, or Horned God&Fertility Goddess. In other forms they are who manifest to me as Thelema's philosophical Baphomet&Nuit/Chaos&Babalon.

Also being a Gaelic Traditionalist in Ireland, and more specifically Ulster, my patron deities are the cult Gods of Ulaid, Dáire&Macha, also believed to be designations of An Daghdha and An Mhór-Ríoghain, so in a simple answer, those two ;)

Note I'm not trying to say that all of these deities are the same, or aspects of each other, but are the two principal deities that manifest as such in my personal gnosis.
Semper Fidelis

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 01:33:15 pm »
Quote from: Finn;725

It's funny: it felt a little like calling, like, the bank or something -- because you have a relationship with "us" (with Brighid, really), we're happy to help you do what you need. :p

I've definitely felt that from other Irish deities. Manannan is a more personal example for me, but I've also gotten some indication from tM, Danu, and Lugh that now I'm "in" I can come to them for advice too.
I shall endure.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 01:35:11 pm »
Quote from: Sage;722
I'd love to hear more about how that works for you. Didn't you used to list your religion as "Path of Mists - multicultural polytheism"? I've felt drawn to several different pantheons over my Pagan career and have never quite been sure how to fit all the pieces together.

That I did! And it's still true- Misticism is mostly a joke. (But not entirely.) The Path of Mist, the inbetween where the spiritual and "mundane" collide, is still my path. And since it draws from Irish Celtic, Hellenic and Kemetic sources, it's still both multicultural and polytheistic.

I think one of the reasons it works for me is because I'm not trying to be a recon. I don't dismiss my American "cultural heritage" (that really feels like an oxymoron to write) just because I am not Christian, and American culture is very saturated with Christian influence. He's just another god who isn't one of mine, and happens to be popular around here.

It also helps that I come from the perspective that multiple, sometimes apparently oppositional perspectives can all be true. It doesn't matter if the Greeks say the world was made one way, and the Kemetics say the world was made this way, and this way and this other way, and the Celts have nothing to say on the subject at all.

I had a point, but I think I've lost it. :o Poke me if you need me to make another attempt at coherency about something! :D
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Nehet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://youtu.be/_1GRj6CNSGg
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 01:42:24 pm »
Because I never tire of hearing about people's divine relationships. :) Which deity or deities do you work with closely or worship?

I work with a few different Gods:  Nut, Djehuty, Nebet-Het, Sekhmet.  Those are probably the ones that show up on a most regular basis.  

I don't know if I could say I "work with" Ausir.  More like I belong to him.  ;)
See, life is but a movement of eternal return.  Even Trees fall ~ Berlin papyrus 3024, (A man tired of life).

Live, Ausir, for all time and all eternity! Ankh Neheh Djet!

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 01:46:12 pm »
Quote from: Nehet;737
I work with a few different Gods:  Nut, Djehuty, Nebet-Het, Sekhmet.  Those are probably the ones that show up on a most regular basis.  

Honestly... I'm a closet Djehuty fangirl. I adore the guy. I'm quietly in the corner waving little pompoms whenever he's brought up. XD

I don't know if I could say I "work with" Ausir.  More like I belong to him.  ;)

I'm fascinated by that sort of relationship. It's something I don't really "get" because I haven't had it since my old Christian days (and that really wasn't a healthy example of what you're talking about).
I shall endure.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 01:47:01 pm »
Quote from: Juni;734

I had a point, but I think I've lost it. :o Poke me if you need me to make another attempt at coherency about something! :D

I think I will! Maybe in a PM later today - it sounds really interesting!
I shall endure.

Tags: