Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: What runes to work with on Halloween?  (Read 1936 times)

Sol Invictus

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
What runes to work with on Halloween?
« on: October 20, 2014, 01:38:16 am »
Sorry maybe I should have posted this in the SIG Asatru forum but I'd like to get a faster response from a more populated forum.

Anyways I am a Norse Pagan, and even though Samhain is a Celtic holiday, I believe that I should still do some workings with the runes or observances to the Norse Gods on this holiday. Samhain is still a very powerful night to work with.

So I am still an adept in the Runes, all I have really worked with so far is Uruz and Fehu and they have helped me immensely.

But right now my goal to work with, is more along the lines of having good success in the career of my art and music and for creative inspiration. So what would be good runes to work with about this?

Also should I make observances to Celtic Gods too? I feel it would be the respectful thing to do.

Thank you

Hematite

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: What runes to work with on Halloween?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:31:25 am »
Quote from: Sol Invictus;162932
Sorry maybe I should have posted this in the SIG Asatru forum but I'd like to get a faster response from a more populated forum.

Anyways I am a Norse Pagan, and even though Samhain is a Celtic holiday, I believe that I should still do some workings with the runes or observances to the Norse Gods on this holiday. Samhain is still a very powerful night to work with.

So I am still an adept in the Runes, all I have really worked with so far is Uruz and Fehu and they have helped me immensely.

But right now my goal to work with, is more along the lines of having good success in the career of my art and music and for creative inspiration. So what would be good runes to work with about this?

Also should I make observances to Celtic Gods too? I feel it would be the respectful thing to do.

Thank you

I'm not following a Norse path myself, so feel free to take everything I say with a brick of salt.

But it seems to me with traditions like costumes, trick or treat, and the illusions of haunted houses, this holy day seems to have Loki's name written on it in big letters. Odin seems to me like he would have a good bit of fun listening to ghost stories.

And both Odin and Loki are know for being clever and creative, as well as being smooth talkers when they want to. Perhaps you want to work with runes that honor these two.

Additionally, as far as I can tell, the Celts did not honor a particular god or goddess on this day. Instead it really look like a day for honoring the dead specifically.

RoseQuartz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:55:03 am »

Thank you

The rune Jera springs to mind on reading through this post. Although am not sure if that is Norse rune related, though. I am not great with runestones but have two sets already on order if the first amethyst in silver runestones aren't posted for a while. Entwining the energies along with the Celtic Deities might be a good thought in the making. Maybe try researching on what kind of offering you can try offering with all due respect in relation with the Gods or Goddesses.

Sol Invictus

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 09:12:44 pm »
Quote from: Hematite;162972
I'm not following a Norse path myself, so feel free to take everything I say with a brick of salt.

But it seems to me with traditions like costumes, trick or treat, and the illusions of haunted houses, this holy day seems to have Loki's name written on it in big letters. Odin seems to me like he would have a good bit of fun listening to ghost stories.

And both Odin and Loki are know for being clever and creative, as well as being smooth talkers when they want to. Perhaps you want to work with runes that honor these two.

Additionally, as far as I can tell, the Celts did not honor a particular god or goddess on this day. Instead it really look like a day for honoring the dead specifically.

Thank you guys for your input. I do feel a special connection with Loki so I think I should honor Loki and Odin on Samhain. Do you know which runes would correspond with them? I have several books on runes but I havent found descriptions on which to match certain runes with specific Gods/Goddesses.

I have been looking into Jera and I think I should work with Jera and maybe paired with Kenaz another runes for creative force. I'm not sure if they are good to be paired together.

Also as an offering to Loki, I have heard coffee or caffeinated drinks are good. I'm not sure about offerings to Odin so I will look into that.

And lastly, I am a recovering drug addict, so I can't use any alcoholic drinks so I'm gonna have to find offerings to work around that.

Thank you guys

Hematite

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 06:42:32 am »
Quote from: Sol Invictus;163057
Thank you guys for your input. I do feel a special connection with Loki so I think I should honor Loki and Odin on Samhain. Do you know which runes would correspond with them? I have several books on runes but I havent found descriptions on which to match certain runes with specific Gods/Goddesses.

I have been looking into Jera and I think I should work with Jera and maybe paired with Kenaz another runes for creative force. I'm not sure if they are good to be paired together.

Also as an offering to Loki, I have heard coffee or caffeinated drinks are good. I'm not sure about offerings to Odin so I will look into that.

And lastly, I am a recovering drug addict, so I can't use any alcoholic drinks so I'm gonna have to find offerings to work around that.

Thank you guys

Mead is basically fermented honey. Perhaps honey water would be close enough to get the meaning accost. I also have a friend who celibates with hard cider, so perhaps some soft cider with hone will do what you want.

I also get different runes for Loki on a Google search, so you may want to compare sites to your books for accuracy. Kenaz and Berkanan.

Ansuz gets listed as a rune for Loki and Odin, though I remember from way back a book saying Odin was the blank rune. check the link.

http://www.runemaker.com/futhark/ansuz.shtml

Also, I have not heard of coffee as an offering for Loki. Though someone told me he likes star anise?   you could add some to the coffee if you like. There is a recipe for incense with it on this site if you're interested. http://www.thewhitegoddess.co.uk/resources/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=30&TopicID=18029&PagePosition=1

I also remember a bit of one of the stories, Loki reminds Odin that he swore not to drink ale if it was not offered to them both. Perhaps if you have coffee for Loki, Odin would like some too.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 02:58:55 pm »

Thank you

Ear for the grave
Jera for the harvest
Raido for the Wild Hunt
Berkano for Holda and Ansuz for Odin since the Wild Hunt starts that night.

Sol Invictus

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 07:16:33 pm »
Quote from: Holdasown;163270
Ear for the grave
Jera for the harvest
Raido for the Wild Hunt

I don't wanna get overwhelmed, I'm still a beginner. So I will work Ansuz with Odin, what would you recommend for Loki? Kenaz?

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 10:57:40 am »
Quote from: Sol Invictus;163726
I don't wanna get overwhelmed, I'm still a beginner. So I will work Ansuz with Odin, what would you recommend for Loki? Kenaz?

A semi-Lokean I knew once associated Thurisaz with Loki.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 11:24:27 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;163778
A semi-Lokean I knew once associated Thurisaz with Loki.

That makes perfect sense.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Ghost235

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 03:26:19 pm »

Thank you

You didn't ask this but I'm feeling ornery so here it is.

Don't forget the ancestor worship!  Perhaps consider honoring your spiritual ancestors and/or heroes.  

If I might make a recommendation, maybe consider saying a kind word about old Harald Wartooth, a great Norse king who the Sagas say was beaten to death by Odin himself so that he would be sped into Valhalla.

Wind

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 12:53:59 am »

Kanu for creativity, enlightenment and knowledge.
Os - the musician and everything to do with song.

Laguz - to get to underneath - below the surface - which isn't bad at all to focus on in music - underlying rhythm and mood.
Anzuz - if you're going to be writing words to songs - to express yourself well
Wunju if you want to charm people, yourself, your instrument or music. Put with Laguz and Anzu it would do well.

Wind

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 12:56:10 am »
Quote from: Holdasown;163270
Ear for the grave
Jera for the harvest
Raido for the Wild Hunt

That is awesome. Is there more?

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 03:33:44 pm »
Quote from: Wind;164178
That is awesome. Is there more?

That is what I use. You could always look for more. Othala or Mannaz for your ancestors work.

Tags: