Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Dedication Date?  (Read 2349 times)

Silentstorm

• View Profile
Dedication Date?
« on: October 20, 2014, 12:03:04 am »
I was wondering if I could get some opinions on what date I should perform my self-dedication ritual as a solitary Wiccan.

Since Samhain is coming up, I thought that would be a lovely time to do it, but I don't know if I should wait until the whole "year and a day" thing (which is at the end of January for me).

Which do you think is more appropriate?

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: Dedication Date?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 07:20:03 am »
Quote from: Silentstorm;162929
I was wondering if I could get some opinions on what date I should perform my self-dedication ritual as a solitary Wiccan.

Since Samhain is coming up, I thought that would be a lovely time to do it, but I don't know if I should wait until the whole "year and a day" thing (which is at the end of January for me).

Which do you think is more appropriate?
What are you dedicating yourself to? Which date means something to you? Either of them?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:37:49 am »
Quote from: Jack;162962
What are you dedicating yourself to? Which date means something to you? Either of them?

I agree. It's important to consider what you're dedicating yourself to. Just Wicca, in general? Or a specific deity or deities? If it's the latter, I'd wait even longer. I speak from personal experience!

I dedicated myself to Sarasvati a few months after we'd met, and she was like: "well, I really like you, but I don't think we're ready for that yet." (spoiler alert: she changed her mind) It's not just YOU that has to be ready, but the deities have to want to accept you. Why should a god or goddess be willing to take every Tom, Dick, and Jane who says "Hey! I'm willing to commit!"?
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 09:27:49 am »
Quote from: Silentstorm;162929

Three things to consider.

1) 'year and a day' has varying meanings, and how necessary it is is going to depend on what you mean by it. (In my tradition, dedication is the ritual you do that says 'I am studying this tradition/path seriously' and can be done whenever you are sure you want to do that: there's no time limit.)

More about how people do some odd things with assumptions about a year and a day (and where the concept comes from in the first place) on my website over here - http://gleewood.org/seeking/practices/why-a-year-and-a-day/ - in case that's helpful.

2) In terms of timing, a number of Wiccan-based traditions consider the period between Samhain and Yule or Samhain and Imbolc to be an inappropriate time to do initiations or dedications, because those are 'fallow' times of the year, a time for reflection and introspection, rather than a time for starting a new phase of growth.

Whether or not that matters to you is something you'll have to decide for yourself in absence of a group, but it could be a good reason for waiting.

3) In very practical terms: Samhain's only about 10 days away. Do you have a really good idea what you want to do for the ritual, have the items you'd want for it, will you have space and time and so on for it? If not, waiting can be good for practical reasons.

Rushing an important ritual sometimes works, but it's often a lot less emotionally satisfying than one you can plan properly for.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:28:12 am by Jenett »
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Silentstorm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 01:49:49 pm »
Quote from: Jack;162962
What are you dedicating yourself to?

Quote from: Redfaery;162965
It's important to consider what you're dedicating yourself to. Just Wicca, in general? Or a specific deity or deities? If it's the latter, I'd wait even longer.

At this point, just Wicca in general. I imagine I might devote myself to specific deities later on, but I'm still easing into it for now. Since I haven't been hit over the head with any messages from any deities (and I don't expect to be), I thought I would just keep it general.

Quote from: Jenett;162987

(In my tradition, dedication is the ritual you do that says 'I am studying this tradition/path seriously' and can be done whenever you are sure you want to do that: there's no time limit.)

This is fairly in line with my intentions as well. I basically just want to officially affirm my current path.

Quote from: Jenett; 162987
2) In terms of timing, a number of Wiccan-based traditions consider the period between Samhain and Yule or Samhain and Imbolc to be an inappropriate time to do initiations or dedications, because those are 'fallow' times of the year, a time for reflection and introspection, rather than a time for starting a new phase of growth.

This is a very good point. I didn't think about that. In that case, I might just wait until perhaps after Imbolc. I'm not particularly attached to the year-and-a-day idea, anyway. Thank you so much!

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 02:08:56 pm »
Quote from: Silentstorm;163013
This is fairly in line with my intentions as well. I basically just want to officially affirm my current path.

Yeah, since it's just for yourself, there's no real rush.

I've actually never done a dedication to a religion without some kind of community component (I kept putting off the ADF one) and I'm curious in general what one gets from it. Is it the mental/emotional sense of commitment? Do you plan to ask for guidance and help?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 05:27:23 pm »
Quote from: Silentstorm;163013
Since I haven't been hit over the head with any messages from any deities (and I don't expect to be)

Ssssssssshhhhh! You'll attract somebody's attention!!!! :yikes:
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Silentstorm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 10:17:00 pm »
Quote from: Jack;163018
I'm curious in general what one gets from it. Is it the mental/emotional sense of commitment? Do you plan to ask for guidance and help?

I imagine someone who has actually done such a ritual has a clearer answer than I do, but for me, yes it's pretty much a sense of commitment. It's like I'm telling myself "Okay, you've signed the contract and now you have to adhere to the rules and goals you've set for yourself."

And yes, if I have a serious problem or find myself lost or something, I would ask for help. Or at the very least, poke around on the internet to see what other people have to say.

Tags: