collapse

Author Topic: Baby steps  (Read 979 times)

paperviking

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Baby steps
« on: October 12, 2014, 09:47:35 pm »
I have been on a journey to find my beliefs in this world. Until then I don't think I will feel peace. I have been drawn to paganism from a cousin who is wiccan. I ordered a book and have dove in head first. While reading this book I have found that I connect with many of the ideas on beliefs. The big thing for me I think is that it is so open to everyones beliefs and views on life (there is no one right or wrong way). This concept is so attractive to me because many of the paths I have tried before are so defined, I don't feel like life is defined so why should my beliefs be defined? I am starting to ramble a bit. I am also very interested in spiritualism. I have been wanting to reach out on a forum for a long time in hopes to connect with like minded folks. Thanks for taking the time to read this! Any suggestions on where I can get my feet wet would be awesome, I am a total newbie at all of this.

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Baby steps
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 01:13:52 am »
Quote from: paperviking;162071
I have been on a journey to find my beliefs in this world. Until then I don't think I will feel peace. I have been drawn to paganism from a cousin who is wiccan. I ordered a book and have dove in head first. While reading this book I have found that I connect with many of the ideas on beliefs. The big thing for me I think is that it is so open to everyones beliefs and views on life (there is no one right or wrong way). This concept is so attractive to me because many of the paths I have tried before are so defined, I don't feel like life is defined so why should my beliefs be defined? I am starting to ramble a bit. I am also very interested in spiritualism. I have been wanting to reach out on a forum for a long time in hopes to connect with like minded folks. Thanks for taking the time to read this! Any suggestions on where I can get my feet wet would be awesome, I am a total newbie at all of this.

I believe you'll find a lot of folks here like yourself--people who think about things rather than follow in the footsteps of the norm.  The folks here, I've found, are more than happy to help you with your questions and lead you to resources, but you still need to do the work on your own.

A great place to get your feet wet is to look at the Pagan Primer under the Pagan Topics DDL.  The Cauldron has a LOT of great information.
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Laeyala

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 04:41:38 am »

This is the reason I am Wiccan. It feels "right" for me even with so many different theories and idealism. Blessings to you on you journey.

Laeyala

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:55:06 am »

Check out Scribd. A lot of people don't like it because an author's work can end up on the service without their permission, but plenty of publishers house entire books there for the reading.

I'd urge some caution in stating that you're looking for a path that isn't defined. Then you're not really on a path, you're in a field. With that comes an inability to really study something in depth to see if it resonates with you. Since you've expressed an interest in Wicca look into sites like Wicca for the Rest of Us
and check out the Pagan Primer here on the Cauldron.

Be sure to practice as well as read. If an esbat falls close by? Go ahead and perform the ritual. Get a feel for the energies you'll be surrounding yourself with and experiment. It's easy to get caught up in the astracts. Sometimes you just need to jump right in.
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 11:50:48 am »

I'm probably being redundant here because it seems your already starting to do this anyways, but I find the best way to find your path is to learn even just the basis or basics of a path/religion and then figure out if that's what "feels" like the right way to go. How can one make a uniform decision without knowing all the options? I think you're o the right tract to figuring yourself out. Sometimes that takes years, but its worth the journey, because then you KNOW exactly where you want to go!
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

Tags: