Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Broom Closets and Family  (Read 4469 times)

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Broom Closets and Family
« on: October 11, 2014, 10:16:30 pm »
Or toolsheds since I'm Heathen. I have a bit of dilemna. Its becoming increasingly hard to keep the fact that I'm pagan to myself. For background, I live with my family. I've been on this path for close to 4 years so its no longer a phase or anything like that. I'm out to my 2 best friends and a few other friends that I met through a pagan network in college. The last year I was mostly out because I lived with a fellow pagan and both of us enjoyed the fact that we didn't have to censor our lives.

Now I'm home and in a very Christian-dominated area. I've slowly been introducing my family to the ideas that I'm not Christian anymore without actually coming out and saying it. They're taking it in stride which is great. My one sister did freak out on me when we found me reading a book on witchcraft. I promised her I wasn't into Wicca and told her it had been 3 years. She seems okay with it now. In short, as long as nobody gets hurt, my family doesn't really care.

But how do I get other people used to this concept without freaking anyone out? I don't want to be out loud and proud but I'm tired of having to put away all of my books, and other pagan-related items every time I have friends over. I'm tired of having to decline over and over again every time my co-workers and bosses ask me to come to their church. And I'm tired of keeping it hidden when I'm in a relationship because its taxing but at the same time I worry if I admitted it, they would leave. I don't want to hide anymore.

What do you suggest? How do you handle this sort of thing?
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Broom Closets and Family
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 01:14:50 am »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;161952

I come from a very religious area, so I know sort of how you feel. I've been invited to talk about Jesus by total strangers. Thankfully, my mom was next to me and went "Oh, we don't discuss religion in public, thank you." Before I could freak out at the poor woman.

I think you're already handling it very well. Just be your usual self, and make it clear that your spirituality is an entirely normal part of your life. If someone freaks out, stay calm. That's hard, I know. But as a lesbian, I speak from experience. The easiest way to come out is to mention it in passing, like it's totally no big deal. ;) That way, the only way there can be a fuss is if they're a total drama-llama asshole about it. Again, I'm only speaking from my personal experience as a lesbian, so take it with a grain of salt.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 11:35:33 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;161962
I come from a very religious area, so I know sort of how you feel. I've been invited to talk about Jesus by total strangers. Thankfully, my mom was next to me and went "Oh, we don't discuss religion in public, thank you." Before I could freak out at the poor woman.

I think you're already handling it very well. Just be your usual self, and make it clear that your spirituality is an entirely normal part of your life. If someone freaks out, stay calm. That's hard, I know. But as a lesbian, I speak from experience. The easiest way to come out is to mention it in passing, like it's totally no big deal. ;) That way, the only way there can be a fuss is if they're a total drama-llama asshole about it. Again, I'm only speaking from my personal experience as a lesbian, so take it with a grain of salt.

I have found that mentioning it in passing, or leaving books out makes it easier on my family. Like my sister. I can easily promise her I'm not Wiccan, which she demanded but I couldn't promise staying away from witchcraft.

Thank you so much! I can't imagine how coming out being a lesbian would be, that would be much harder than this. I get asked if I am one on occaision... apparently not having a boyfriend means I must be a lesbian :confused:
[/B]

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 11:45:51 am »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;161978
I have found that mentioning it in passing, or leaving books out makes it easier on my family. Like my sister. I can easily promise her I'm not Wiccan, which she demanded but I couldn't promise staying away from witchcraft.

Thank you so much! I can't imagine how coming out being a lesbian would be, that would be much harder than this. I get asked if I am one on occaision... apparently not having a boyfriend means I must be a lesbian :confused:
Honestly...I'm not sure if any type of stigma is easier or harder to bear. They all suck! I'm at least lucky in that I can tell people I'm Buddhist, so they don't go WITCH!!!!

And the marriage amendment was overturned a couple of days ago...makes me happy too. Though to be honest about that, there was actually a good bit of opposition in Randolph County - not from any sort of LGBT tolerant attitude, but from very real fears about the wording of the amendment.

Since it defined MARRIAGE as the only form of union recognized by the State, there was a real class divide, with the absolute poorest people (too poor to get married; much more likely to cohabitate) really anxious that their common law marriages would be made illegal....again. Because, yeah. Cohabiting was ILLEGAL in NC until a few years ago. And people DID get punished for it.

But....sorry. That's off topic. I agree that minimizing the coming out makes it easier all around, since no one can accuse you of doing it for attention, and if they pick a fight, it'll be much easier for undecided friends and family to take your side.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Guinevere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 03:41:00 pm »

But how do I get other people used to this concept without freaking anyone out?

My own experience tought me that, with time, it'll be inevitable for people to understand what your beliefs are. Maybe they won't call or see you as pagan, but you spiritual life effects you in the way you behave, the way you live and everything and they will start to see you as such (even if they will identify you with as a "strange kind of new age/hippy").
When I decided to study Wicca years ago, out of excitement I told a couple of good friends but lately, when my practise shifted into serious spirituality, it was - and still is - normal for my friends to hear my ramblings about myths, history, herbs and whatever I am into.
I know that "simply do not put away all your stuff when you're friends are over" is easier to say than to do, but it is also the best way to stop hiding. When I started to keep a permanent altar in my bedroom I was afraid everyone coming into the room would have made questions after questions about it - eventually, no one ever asked what it is. That made me think about if people ever saw in my altar an altar, or if they see it as an odd piece of furniture. Anyway, maybe starting a book at a time will be easier for you to explain and your friends to understand.

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 08:27:48 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;161979
Honestly...I'm not sure if any type of stigma is easier or harder to bear. They all suck! I'm at least lucky in that I can tell people I'm Buddhist, so they don't go WITCH!!!!

And the marriage amendment was overturned a couple of days ago...makes me happy too. Though to be honest about that, there was actually a good bit of opposition in Randolph County - not from any sort of LGBT tolerant attitude, but from very real fears about the wording of the amendment.

Since it defined MARRIAGE as the only form of union recognized by the State, there was a real class divide, with the absolute poorest people (too poor to get married; much more likely to cohabitate) really anxious that their common law marriages would be made illegal....again. Because, yeah. Cohabiting was ILLEGAL in NC until a few years ago. And people DID get punished for it.

But....sorry. That's off topic. I agree that minimizing the coming out makes it easier all around, since no one can accuse you of doing it for attention, and if they pick a fight, it'll be much easier for undecided friends and family to take your side.

I hope they would be on my side. I try hard to avoid calling myself a witch because of the stigma but well, I am one. A bit hard to avoid.

Quote from: Guinevere;162003
My own experience tought me that, with time, it'll be inevitable for people to understand what your beliefs are. Maybe they won't call or see you as pagan, but you spiritual life effects you in the way you behave, the way you live and everything and they will start to see you as such (even if they will identify you with as a "strange kind of new age/hippy").
When I decided to study Wicca years ago, out of excitement I told a couple of good friends but lately, when my practise shifted into serious spirituality, it was - and still is - normal for my friends to hear my ramblings about myths, history, herbs and whatever I am into.
I know that "simply do not put away all your stuff when you're friends are over" is easier to say than to do, but it is also the best way to stop hiding. When I started to keep a permanent altar in my bedroom I was afraid everyone coming into the room would have made questions after questions about it - eventually, no one ever asked what it is. That made me think about if people ever saw in my altar an altar, or if they see it as an odd piece of furniture. Anyway, maybe starting a book at a time will be easier for you to explain and your friends to understand.

I hope that people do just overlook it. And well, being strange is kind of a given when I'm being myself. I hope that the transition isn't too rocky as I really am tired of hiding.
[/B]

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 02:43:13 pm »
Quote from: Guinevere;162003

I know that "simply do not put away all your stuff when you're friends are over" is easier to say than to do,

I read that and was like 'what, who does that? that's weird. and if you hide it all the time why don't just just keep your stuff more safely put away all the time,' and then I realized- who does that? I do that. I do that a lot, and probably should work on it.

Nalusa

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://theleylinewar.thecomicseries.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 03:07:21 am »

I've got one foot in and one foot out, some know, some suspect and some are clueless. Those that are clueless are my grandparents- southern baptists and in their 70's. Love them dearly, but I won't ever tell them, they would never understand and would worry themselves into their graves. My mother suspects, but doesn't ask and since i have not lived at home in a decade she likely won't unless neutral curiosity prompts her. She's kind of a hippie, but has moments where she swings erratically into hardline christan, and during those times the blinders are firmly attached and she doesn't see any other books sitting next to the cursory bible on my bookshelf.

My partner, he on the other hand is non-religious, and so long as nothing is inflicted on him he doesn't disturb others in thier beliefs. He has asked some vauge questions, but undestands that faith for me is a personal thing. Thirteen years and no issues there.

Sorry if I ramble, I'm very tired. Lol

Little Kingdoms

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 01:49:49 pm »

I had a somewhat amusing incident awhile back.  I'd ordered a book on witchcraft that happened to arrive on a Saturday when I was out.  My husband was home with our toddler and for some reason he let her open Mummy's parcel.  Oops!  Needless to say he looked a little embarrassed when I came home.  :ashamed:  I just laughed it off, saying "Oh well, at least she didn't draw in it!" or something like that.  The book was swept off to the corner after that, and neither of us mentioned it again.  He has his hobbies and I have mine, I suppose.

I think what other posters said is right, that eventually these things will come out.  Unless you want to keep your spirituality under lock and key for the rest of your days, it's inevitable people around you will know.  In another twist, when I first started looking into Druidry the intro pack I ordered from the OBOD was delivered to my Dad's address by mistake!  And of course, he opened it.  :eek:  I had to try and explain that one to my 70 year old father.  But as it happened he found it all really interesting, even doing some reading into Druidry himself.  So it's not always a negative thing.

But then, most of the people in my life aren't religious or inclined to be hostile to Paganism.  My mother is very Roman Catholic, and I'm not sure how I'd even begin to tell her that I've left the Church.  But she lives in the US and I'm in the UK, so it's not like she can look at my bookshelf!  I wouldn't lie to her, but I don't come out with the truth either.  Better for her not to be concerned about me.

As for strangers I don't think it's any of their business.  The UK is in general much more secular than the US, so religion is not a topic that comes up often.  I can smile politely at the Jehovah's Witnesses that come around like I always have; I will take a pamphlet but I don't discuss my religious beliefs with them.  To be honest I don't know how I'd react if a co-worker or someone kept asking me to go with them to church.  If they were just being social it would be hard to say no all the time, but then if I went once I'd feel like I had to go again!  I'd probably just decline, insert excuse here.

Nerine

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 12:23:12 pm »
Or toolsheds since I'm Heathen. I have a bit of dilemna. Its becoming increasingly hard to keep the fact that I'm pagan to myself. For background, I live with my family. I've been on this path for close to 4 years so its no longer a phase or anything like that. I'm out to my 2 best friends and a few other friends that I met through a pagan network in college. The last year I was mostly out because I lived with a fellow pagan and both of us enjoyed the fact that we didn't have to censor our lives.

Now I'm home and in a very Christian-dominated area. I've slowly been introducing my family to the ideas that I'm not Christian anymore without actually coming out and saying it. They're taking it in stride which is great. My one sister did freak out on me when we found me reading a book on witchcraft. I promised her I wasn't into Wicca and told her it had been 3 years. She seems okay with it now. In short, as long as nobody gets hurt, my family doesn't really care.

But how do I get other people used to this concept without freaking anyone out? I don't want to be out loud and proud but I'm tired of having to put away all of my books, and other pagan-related items every time I have friends over. I'm tired of having to decline over and over again every time my co-workers and bosses ask me to come to their church. And I'm tired of keeping it hidden when I'm in a relationship because its taxing but at the same time I worry if I admitted it, they would leave. I don't want to hide anymore.

First of all this is a great topic and have been reading what everyone else has said and for me anyways its only been a couple years that I have been on this path but only recently have started to worry about the fact that maby I should be completely clear on what I have chosen considering I have my boyfriend and kids to think about now he personally is catholic an mostly it comes from the fact that I really don't need him to freak out about this considering how well things are going and its not that I hide anything from him hes just never asked don't know if maby he realizes it or hes just never noticed lols hard to say and being in a small town things are not easy as is already to most people here im considered strange but that's never bothered me though lols that's fine but other than that its just good to have others thoughts on this maby something you have not thought of before
Can I play with madness? - Iron Maiden

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 03:06:15 pm »
Quote from: Nerine;164571
First of all this is a great topic and have been reading what everyone else has said and for me anyways its only been a couple years that I have been on this path but only recently have started to worry about the fact that maby I should be completely clear on what I have chosen considering I have my boyfriend and kids to think about now he personally is catholic an mostly it comes from the fact that I really don't need him to freak out about this considering how well things are going and its not that I hide anything from him hes just never asked don't know if maby he realizes it or hes just never noticed lols hard to say and being in a small town things are not easy as is already to most people here im considered strange but that's never bothered me though lols that's fine but other than that its just good to have others thoughts on this maby something you have not thought of before

This is entirely opinion based, as of course I don't know what exactly is going on in your life. Just as a note,
Spoiler:  
spoiler tagged because it got really long really fast.

it would be helpful if you used punctuation or paragraphs some more. There are some places where I can't tell what you mean, because the break good go in one of two places (eg "considering I have my boyfriend and kids to think about now. He personally is catholic..." or "considering I have my boyfriend and kids to think about. Now he personally is catholic." - in this particular case, it makes it unclear whether this is an issue that started recently or not, and the second option also has two interpretations, and the particulars effect the advise I'd give).

I don't mean to tell you how to type and you might be on mobile or something, but it really helps with clarity when there are clear sentence breaks. If you want to talk about it more, knowing the specifics would help, regardless of how they're written.

That aside:

I'm not actually sure if you're asking for advice or just talking about your situation, but if you were asking for advice-

If you're serious and stable enough in your relationship that you're raising kids together, hopefully you two have pretty good trust and understanding of one another. From what you've said, you haven't been keeping it a secret, exactly, which is good- other than in extreme circumstances, intentionally hiding important parts of your life from your spouse is, well, bad. So yay, you haven't done that, but I understand why you'd want to be more open, part to prevent any misconceptions (whether or not they lead to fights), and part because it's nice to not have to feel like you're hiding it (even if you keep it mostly private from him after).

So, in short, I don't think you really really need to tell him- it has never been a secret, it just never came up, but it may be for the best if you do.

That leaves how to bring it up, should you decide to.

That depends on what you think he's comfortable with, and of course, what you're comfortable with.

I know a lot of people in similar situations who start with small things, to introduce it. Like making a tea, and telling him why it's good, if herbs are your forte. Something in that vein.

You could also say "hey, you know that thing I do? actually, that is part of my religious beliefs" (not in that wording, but yes, perhaps that casual. 'that thing' could be any visible part of your practice- candle making, tactiles, herbs, stones, etc).

There's also the option of including him to introduce him to it- not, by any means, asking him to do something he as a catholic or a person is uncomfortable with- such as drying herbs, mixing oils, candle making, anything that you feel would work; "will you help me?" and "look what I made" are great, non-threatening ways to introduce things.

In a similar vein, you could do some reading together, theological or mythological or philosophical, or even fiction, whether it's in a book or a blog, just anything that has a meaning to you and your practice, preferably that does not say or imply his belief system is stupid or anything (eg, while reading about polytheism would be good if you're polytheistic, reading a 'polytheism' article that is actually about ~the dangers of monism~ or something would be bad. It's not always that obvious).

Note that in all the above, I am not suggesting you be facetious or pretend it's less than it is. You should absolutely be clear that it is just as serious as it is for him to be catholic. By taking small steps, you are avoiding overwhelming him with an info dump, not avoiding being honest or telling the whole truth.

That said, of course, you could sit down with him at dinner and just tell him. Might be best without the kids there, because although I think absolutely children should learn about theology and different beliefs, they may make it difficult to have a serious conversation (although, on the other hand, they may diffuse the tension a bit. really depends on your family's dynamic). Since you mentioned the possibility of him being upset, I lean at 'no kids present.' If you block out the time as some adult talk time, you can discuss both of your beliefs, down to more details than any of my other suggestions offer. The reason this is my last suggestion, however, is that it may be overwhelming, and it may be confrontational. Despite those, for some relationships, it is the best way.

If you were just talking about your situation and weren't wanting advice, sorry for the big wall o' text, but perhaps it will be useful to someone.

As an aside, possible TWs for other readers,
Spoiler:  
This worries me a bit: "I really don't need him to freak out about this considering how well things are going"

I'm assuming you're exagerrating a little, and I might be misreading (do you mean how good the relationship is going, or how good your practice is going?), but on the off chance that I am not, if he 'freaks out' over your beliefs, which have never been hidden from you, or scares you into worrying about it, that seems like a huge red flag. If it referred to your relationship, the "how well things are going" sort of is too, because it feels like you're saying things usually aren't going so well, so when that whole phrase is put together, I get nervous.  Again, you may have meant something lighter and less concerning, I know literally nothing about the situation, but I would have felt guilty if I replied and brushed that off rather than addressing it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:07:18 pm by Scales »

Nerine

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 09:02:54 pm »
Quote from: Scales;164585
This is entirely opinion based, as of course I don't know what exactly is going on in your life. Just as a note,
Spoiler:  
spoiler tagged because it got really long really fast.

it would be helpful if you used punctuation or paragraphs some more. There are some places where I can't tell what you mean, because the break good go in one of two places (eg "considering I have my boyfriend and kids to think about now. He personally is catholic..." or "considering I have my boyfriend and kids to think about. Now he personally is catholic." - in this particular case, it makes it unclear whether this is an issue that started recently or not, and the second option also has two interpretations, and the particulars effect the advise I'd give).

I don't mean to tell you how to type and you might be on mobile or something, but it really helps with clarity when there are clear sentence breaks. If you want to talk about it more, knowing the specifics would help, regardless of how they're written.

That aside:

I'm not actually sure if you're asking for advice or just talking about your situation, but if you were asking for advice-

If you're serious and stable enough in your relationship that you're raising kids together, hopefully you two have pretty good trust and understanding of one another. From what you've said, you haven't been keeping it a secret, exactly, which is good- other than in extreme circumstances, intentionally hiding important parts of your life from your spouse is, well, bad. So yay, you haven't done that, but I understand why you'd want to be more open, part to prevent any misconceptions (whether or not they lead to fights), and part because it's nice to not have to feel like you're hiding it (even if you keep it mostly private from him after).

So, in short, I don't think you really really need to tell him- it has never been a secret, it just never came up, but it may be for the best if you do.

That leaves how to bring it up, should you decide to.

That depends on what you think he's comfortable with, and of course, what you're comfortable with.

I know a lot of people in similar situations who start with small things, to introduce it. Like making a tea, and telling him why it's good, if herbs are your forte. Something in that vein.

You could also say "hey, you know that thing I do? actually, that is part of my religious beliefs" (not in that wording, but yes, perhaps that casual. 'that thing' could be any visible part of your practice- candle making, tactiles, herbs, stones, etc).

There's also the option of including him to introduce him to it- not, by any means, asking him to do something he as a catholic or a person is uncomfortable with- such as drying herbs, mixing oils, candle making, anything that you feel would work; "will you help me?" and "look what I made" are great, non-threatening ways to introduce things.

In a similar vein, you could do some reading together, theological or mythological or philosophical, or even fiction, whether it's in a book or a blog, just anything that has a meaning to you and your practice, preferably that does not say or imply his belief system is stupid or anything (eg, while reading about polytheism would be good if you're polytheistic, reading a 'polytheism' article that is actually about ~the dangers of monism~ or something would be bad. It's not always that obvious).

Note that in all the above, I am not suggesting you be facetious or pretend it's less than it is. You should absolutely be clear that it is just as serious as it is for him to be catholic. By taking small steps, you are avoiding overwhelming him with an info dump, not avoiding being honest or telling the whole truth.

That said, of course, you could sit down with him at dinner and just tell him. Might be best without the kids there, because although I think absolutely children should learn about theology and different beliefs, they may make it difficult to have a serious conversation (although, on the other hand, they may diffuse the tension a bit. really depends on your family's dynamic). Since you mentioned the possibility of him being upset, I lean at 'no kids present.' If you block out the time as some adult talk time, you can discuss both of your beliefs, down to more details than any of my other suggestions offer. The reason this is my last suggestion, however, is that it may be overwhelming, and it may be confrontational. Despite those, for some relationships, it is the best way.

If you were just talking about your situation and weren't wanting advice, sorry for the big wall o' text, but perhaps it will be useful to someone.

As an aside, possible TWs for other readers,
Spoiler:  
This worries me a bit: "I really don't need him to freak out about this considering how well things are going"

I'm assuming you're exagerrating a little, and I might be misreading (do you mean how good the relationship is going, or how good your practice is going?), but on the off chance that I am not, if he 'freaks out' over your beliefs, which have never been hidden from you, or scares you into worrying about it, that seems like a huge red flag. If it referred to your relationship, the "how well things are going" sort of is too, because it feels like you're saying things usually aren't going so well, so when that whole phrase is put together, I get nervous.  Again, you may have meant something lighter and less concerning, I know literally nothing about the situation, but I would have felt guilty if I replied and brushed that off rather than addressing it.

Ok first sorry about the typing has been years since I have written anything of length or importance.

Alright yes I should clairify it is a bit of both I am extremely happy at where I am in my path an also in my relationship which is awesome when I said he would freak out. Yes I realize I should have worded that better but it sounded right at the moment but im hoping it wont be any worse then when he found out I have the occasional cigar it wasn't bad he was just a little pissy for a couple days lols.

But anyways I do realize I should tell him and probably the sooner the better. But I hate confrontation sooo im leaning towards some kind of email. But my biggest thing is what if he just thinks its some kind of thing im going through or he doesn't take it as a valid point. But probably getting ahead of myself there I just don't want things to be weird is all, life is finally really good an I just don't want to mess with that but who knows he could take it real well Ive been surprised before lols.

And as for the kids I know mine for sure are too young to understand at the moment but if they show any interest well ill cross that bridge when I get there.

As for the wall of info that's great any advice is always welcome so this was a bit of both just kinda need to vent and get it all out one the things about being in a small town theres no one you can really talk with so this is great, and very much appreciated thank you, helps to try an get everything sorted out in my head.

Hopefully my writing is a bit clearer this time too.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 10:22:17 pm »
Quote from: Nerine;164616
Hopefully my writing is a bit clearer this time too.

No worries, although it is :) That's all good to hear. I wanted to make sure I didn't leave anything out.

Pretty much everything of consequence I've told my mom in the last couple years was by email, haha.

MeeneyLeeney

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 09:16:00 am »

I have been a practicing witch for quite sometime and my husband has no Idea. Or he may, I don't know...I think he just thinks I'm weird..lol. I will "craft" something that benefits him like Money oil or protection amulets/mojo bags and just mention "the herbs and oils in this are thought to draw promotion or money..I put a little on your wallet" or something of the sort. I do the same around my kids. They don't even give a second thought when I smudge them..it's like normal to them. So, I think It's all in presentation. You could introduce some herb or make a salve or tea and explain the beliefs of the old ways and why it was important or what kind of charm it was thought to be. A history lesson with a twist! Slowly but surely they will figure it out and probably come to the realization that you've been practicing for awhile and think "hey! It's not so bad!" Good luck to you my friend.

Nerine

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 12:17:19 pm »
Quote from: MeeneyLeeney;164710
I have been a practicing witch for quite sometime and my husband has no Idea. Or he may, I don't know...I think he just thinks I'm weird..lol. I will "craft" something that benefits him like Money oil or protection amulets/mojo bags and just mention "the herbs and oils in this are thought to draw promotion or money..I put a little on your wallet" or something of the sort. I do the same around my kids. They don't even give a second thought when I smudge them..it's like normal to them. So, I think It's all in presentation. You could introduce some herb or make a salve or tea and explain the beliefs of the old ways and why it was important or what kind of charm it was thought to be. A history lesson with a twist! Slowly but surely they will figure it out and probably come to the realization that you've been practicing for awhile and think "hey! It's not so bad!" Good luck to you my friend.

Thank you, and yes that's how it is for me lols he knows im weird already lols so maby it wont be such a shock to him when I tell him

Tags: