Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Just started with ADF  (Read 4770 times)

Chrysoprase

• View Profile
Just started with ADF
« on: October 11, 2014, 03:39:55 am »
Hi, everyone!

So, I just signed up for ADF and I've begun the Dedicant Path.  I'm very excited about having made a decision--at least, a decision on where to begin my journey of self-exploration!  I was wondering, are there any places for ADF druids specifically to chat online?  Or am I better off sticking to general purpose neopagan/druid forums like this one?

Looking forward to my studies and getting to know fellow druids!

Sisu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Just started with ADF
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:20:57 am »
Quote from: Chrysoprase;161882
Hi, everyone!

So, I just signed up for ADF and I've begun the Dedicant Path.  I'm very excited about having made a decision--at least, a decision on where to begin my journey of self-exploration!  I was wondering, are there any places for ADF druids specifically to chat online?  Or am I better off sticking to general purpose neopagan/druid forums like this one?

Looking forward to my studies and getting to know fellow druids!

Hi and welcome! I'm also a member of ADF and I have had this same question for a while now. The only thing I've really found has been the OBOD forums (and that's not ADF-centric of course... and you can't get full access if you're not a member). The Cauldron in general is an excellent forum but this SIG in particular moves at a glacial pace. There are, however, many druids on TC who post in other areas and threads so maybe it's a matter of getting some good discussion going?

I really wish ADF would create its own dedicated forum as I really dislike their mailing list system. I thought there were plans to implement a forum with the latest website revamp but that didn't seem to come to fruition. They host IRC chats occasionally, but other than that, no forum as far as a I know :(
Sorry I can't be of much help!

Sisu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:27:31 am »
Quote from: Sisu;161902
Hi and welcome!

Oh I also forgot to mention that there's a facebook group that seems to be treated as a forum substitute. It's a closed group so no one else can see you're part of it unless they are too. It's called "ADF (Ár nDraíocht Féin, A Druid Fellowship) General Discussion".

Personally, I read it but don't participate in it due to not trusting FB's privacy policies as unless you create a special FB account for using only that group, you will have to post with your real name / main account. I prefer to keep my pagan and secular lives separate, so this is an issue for me, but maybe it won't be for you.

Sisu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 09:45:13 am »
Quote from: Sisu;161903
Oh I also forgot to mention ...

Sorry! I just found out that there indeed IS a forum at last, though it's not obvious on how to access it. I had to ask on the FB page about it to get any info, actually.

If you log on to the main ADF site, you click on the "Forums" link on the left sidebar. Then click "Email and Discussion Lists" (which is SUPER misleading) and THEN you'll find the "ADF Forum" listed.

The caveat is that you do have to already be subscribed to most of the lists to use it. And someone told me they sometimes need to re-sign in to use it. Annnd it's definitely lacking the nice interface of TC. But it's a start.

Emerald

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 09:51:31 am »
Quote from: Chrysoprase;161882

Congrats on joining ADF!

While I was replying, Sisu also replied and said the same things as I was going to say. LOL.

Though I will add that there are one or two weekly ADF chats. I just haven't been in aaaaaaages since my path wandered off in another direction a fair bit this year. I'm just recently looking again at ADF stuff since some of it fits where I'm at now.

katbast

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 12:01:03 pm »
Quote from: Sisu;161904
Sorry! I just found out that there indeed IS a forum at last, though it's not obvious on how to access it. I had to ask on the FB page about it to get any info, actually.

If you log on to the main ADF site, you click on the "Forums" link on the left sidebar. Then click "Email and Discussion Lists" (which is SUPER misleading) and THEN you'll find the "ADF Forum" listed.

The caveat is that you do have to already be subscribed to most of the lists to use it. And someone told me they sometimes need to re-sign in to use it. Annnd it's definitely lacking the nice interface of TC. But it's a start.

The "forum" seems to be more of an email list archive than an actual forum.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 02:46:52 pm »
Quote from: katbast;161917

ADF's mailing lists can get really interesting sometimes, too. Like the person who equated tM with Bloddeuwedd, the Flower Maiden who was created to be the wife of Llew Llaw Gyffes, and concluded that the Irish Lugh was married to tM. I could almost hear the deities in question going WTF NO.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Sisu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 04:47:02 pm »
Quote from: katbast;161917

I agree, but I haven't really tried to use it yet since I just found out it exists today. The member who directed me to it says that it functions like a regular forum for the most part, you just have to be subscribed to the mailing lists to have access to all the boards (still not a great system, I admit).

I guess I'll test it out later tonight/tomorrow.

Chrysoprase

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 05:14:37 pm »
Quote from: Sisu;161936

Thank you so much, everyone, for all of your suggestions and for your welcomes, too!

I guess I don't have access to the "forum" over on ADF's site.  I have subscribed to multiple mailing lists but haven't had a single email from any of them (other than to confirm my signing up).  Is that normal?  Are they just quiet?

I did join the Facebook page for Solitaries so that's something, at least!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:28:18 pm by SunflowerP »

Sisu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 05:42:44 pm »
Quote from: Chrysoprase;161937
Thank you so much, everyone, for all of your suggestions and for your welcomes, too!

I guess I don't have access to the "forum" over on ADF's site.  I have subscribed to multiple mailing lists but haven't had a single email from any of them (other than to confirm my signing up).  Is that normal?  Are they just quiet?

I did join the Facebook page for Solitaries so that's something, at least!

If you just joined and signed up within the past couple of days, it's possible that you haven't received anything because they can be (frustratingly) slow. Some lists are more active than others, granted.

katbast

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 09:57:17 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;161928
ADF's mailing lists can get really interesting sometimes, too. Like the person who equated tM with Bloddeuwedd, the Flower Maiden who was created to be the wife of Llew Llaw Gyffes, and concluded that the Irish Lugh was married to tM. I could almost hear the deities in question going WTF NO.

.....ouch. I think my brain just whimpered.

hraefngar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: eclectic pagan
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 09:11:50 am »
Quote from: Sisu;161902

I really wish ADF would create its own dedicated forum as I really dislike their mailing list system. I thought there were plans to implement a forum with the latest website revamp but that didn't seem to come to fruition.

Here you go:  https://www.adf.org/webforum/

hraefngar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: eclectic pagan
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 09:16:10 am »
Quote from: katbast;161949
.....ouch. I think my brain just whimpered.

For the most part, I find ADF mailing lists to be filled with useless chatter.  Then there are the ... less well-read people that somehow sneak by and advance their interesting opinions.  ;)

To the original poster, If there is a grove in your area, you are better hanging out with them in person (provided you like them, of course).  The ADF priesthood are generally serious, bright people so getting to know them, offline or online, might be of benefit to.

Tags: